U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 AM

17 posts, read 38,167 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

for the last few weeks I have been reading over forums and doing what I can to find info. April 1st me my wife our two kids (3-9) and possibly my mother will be coming to anchorage. We have done some research and have decided that Wasilla is likely where we would like to live. My main question is any leads on fully furnished rentals for at least a month. At least until we are able to find a reasonable regular rental. We will be arriving with only our luggage and will need time to accumulate beds and things. Also we are going to ship some things through post but we are unlikely to have an address to send things to before we leave Florida so any ideas for that problem also would be helpful. I know you guys are bombarded with questions all the time and usually the people change there minds by the end of the postings lol but I assure you we will soon be neighbors just running into some small problems. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 AM

15,599 posts, read 36,104,285 times
Start with the Alaska Craig's List. Then maybe Alaska News, Jobs and Advertising from the Anchorage Daily News | Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, Kenai Peninsula for realty listings.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:54 AM

4,137 posts, read 8,154,398 times
Also...the Valley newspaper:
Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman

I don't know what your chances are for finding a fully-furnished rental, but when we moved, our things also were shipped here and they didn't arrive for several weeks after we did. We purchased air beds and linens, paper plates, etc...and camp chairs and lived on those until we could get our things and acquire furniture. Just an idea that might make it easier.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 AM

3,774 posts, read 10,265,619 times
Early April, there may be some reasonable residence hotels. I believe the hotel rates go up around mid-April, and the hotel will know this whenever you make your reservations. The prices increase by about $100 per day for tourist season.

Bag limit on tourists is two. Fish and Game enforce this law strictly, and the season closes about mid-September. Female trophies are usually frowned on by wives and significant other female types, and it is highly recommended that you not mount them where these female types can see. Survival is usually contraindicated in such cases, as Alaskan women tend to be very good shots, and are zealous in the protection of their rights in property and divorce law.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 AM

6,381 posts, read 12,688,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetsB View Post
Hello everyone,

for the last few weeks I have been reading over forums and doing what I can to find info. April 1st me my wife our two kids (3-9) and possibly my mother will be coming to anchorage. We have done some research and have decided that Wasilla is likely where we would like to live. My main question is any leads on fully furnished rentals for at least a month. At least until we are able to find a reasonable regular rental. We will be arriving with only our luggage and will need time to accumulate beds and things. Also we are going to ship some things through post but we are unlikely to have an address to send things to before we leave Florida so any ideas for that problem also would be helpful. I know you guys are bombarded with questions all the time and usually the people change there minds by the end of the postings lol but I assure you we will soon be neighbors just running into some small problems. Thanks for any help you can give.
Well the first of April is a bit of a head start on the summer crowds...

I would recommend that you buy a motor home there (or here, they are cheaper in the winter) and drive it up. It isn't cheap (well some are), but once here, you can live in it without the pressure of trying to find a place. There are a few camper parks in Anchorage itself and you can stay there too. IF you don't have a job set up in advance, you may need to move elsewhere to work and that gives you a bit of flexibility.

Much nicer to put the money into yourself than someone else. You can sell the motor home after you get where you want to be and get some of the money back. The Craig's list in Anchorage is a good place to look or the Anchorage Daily News works too.

Right now there is a bunch of them for sale and cheap compared to buying in the spring...

Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 38,167 times
Great thanks for the replies. Yea driving isnt really an option for us considering it would take forever and the two lil ones would have a fit. I have looked at craigs list and checked newspapers doesnt seem to be alot of furnished places maybe illl get lucky when closer to april. I still am stumped about where we can mail stuff to without knowing where we are going to stay before we fly out.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 PM

21,365 posts, read 33,915,810 times
Megansmom made it to Alaska in 5 days from the east coast. Drive up, you'd enjoy the scenery!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,623,102 times
Starlite, you just put a great spin on one of my dilemmas, great idea! But I gotta spread the luv I would be curious if anyone had ideas about how to mail yourself some of your things if you have no permanent address yet too. Would anyone know if you could just call the post office and have them hold mail for you ?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM

823 posts, read 1,544,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Starlite, you just put a great spin on one of my dilemmas, great idea! But I gotta spread the luv I woul dbe curious if anyone had ideas about how to mail yourself some of your things if you have no permanent address yet, would anyone know if you could just call the post office and have hold mail for you ?
Call the post office to make sure you have the right zip code (I screwed that up), but then send it General Delivery. Example

The Grill God
General Delivery
Wasilla, AK 99687

Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,623,102 times
Fabulous, thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska