Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,422 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of a good website/source to look for permanent work in Southeast Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Permanent work in SE Alaska....what type of work do you do?

Permanent jobs in many parts of SE aren't that easy to find. Populations in communities like Skagway and Ketchikan are shrinking because of this.

There are Forest Service jobs, state jobs in Juneau...again, it all depends on what you're qualified to do.

With all due respect to the poster above me, it's not necessary to pay-to-play to find a seafood job in Alaska, and very few of them are anything but seasonal.

*Edited* because I snooped on your profile, OP. You're working as a firefighter now? Well, you won't be able to find that sort of work in SE because the rains keep forest fires from even getting started. But it shows you're used to doing physical work in the outdoors. Might be able to get on at one of the mines; they sometimes hire young guys for general labor jobs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-04-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Firefighters here are also EMT/Paramedics and run medical or rescue calls too. Here is what I don't know. Do cities in AK have paid or volunteer departments?

Is the OP EMT/Paramedic certified? Does the OP want that type of job?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 PM

I don't know; most EMTs on the island are volunteers. I do know that there are some pretty good jobs around where an EMT certification would be a huge plus, especially in the mines, but I think this is something that the OP needs to research for himself because we don't know what skills he has or doesn't have.

I get the impression he's a wildland firefighter, which is different than someone who's employed with a municipal fire department. Most wildland firefighters aren't EMTS or paramedics here in the Northwest. If he works as a regular fireman, he might have some transferable skills.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM

108 posts, read 184,386 times
Try Alexsys

Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 15,422 times
Thanks all of you... I'm not necessarily looking for fire fighting work, I knew fire fighting in SE Alaska was pretty much a no go already, I do however have my EMT certification and am currently doing a paramedic class. I've always worked physical labor type jobs, from construction to ranching to fire fighting and mechanic work. Thank you all though for your replies.
Also, the "mines" were mentioned above... is the mining industry big in SE Alaska? I really havent seen anything on mining in any of all the research i've been doing online about alaska.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
There are two mines based out of Juneau, Greens Creek and the Kensington mines.

You can get an idea of what is available by going onto the state job site:

https://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/Default.asp

You won't be able to do anything until you register though, but you can search jobs and see pay ranges if listed.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
You will need to have an Alaska address in order to register in ALEXsys that will allow a job search. All of the jobs on ALEXsys are uploaded to: US.jobs - National Labor Exchange - USA Jobs Search Engine so that might be an easier job search engine if you don't have a local address.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM

When I worked at one of the mines, they were always crying for people with EMT certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska