Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:43 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,699,652 times

Advertisements

They are dropped after 10 yrs. But sometimes you will show up in the system for it long after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Yes--DUI's --they still are on your criminal history in the network system, even if they're off your driving record, and Canadian officials have access to nationwide criminal history network. They don't have time to do it with everyone of course, but if any flag pops up on the prelim check, they'll give you a more thorough look and, like God, judge if you are the type of person they'll condescend to allow into their country.

Heheh, I sound a little sour--nothing against Canada but some of their laws defy explanation when some OTHER Canadian laws/policies are lax in the extreme. But--I must say, about the DUI's--I did it to myself, as does anyone else who gets 'em...I guess after 10 years without so much as a parking ticket, however, I'd hope the Canadians would realize I'm not coming to shoot up the place...but oh well.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM

We have dumb laws also. And it is a chance you take. I know of people who have had DUI's and still are able to drive across the border. It depends if you come up.
But like people have said just fly to the lower 48.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:13 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Yes--DUI's --they still are on your criminal history in the network system, even if they're off your driving record, and Canadian officials have access to nationwide criminal history network. They don't have time to do it with everyone of course, but if any flag pops up on the prelim check, they'll give you a more thorough look and, like God, judge if you are the type of person they'll condescend to allow into their country.

Heheh, I sound a little sour--nothing against Canada but some of their laws defy explanation when some OTHER Canadian laws/policies are lax in the extreme. But--I must say, about the DUI's--I did it to myself, as does anyone else who gets 'em...I guess after 10 years without so much as a parking ticket, however, I'd hope the Canadians would realize I'm not coming to shoot up the place...but oh well.
Here is some info. If 10 years have passed since the conviction and any probation period and you had only one conviction, you should be deemed rehabilitated ans not have to fill out any forms or pay any fees. Here are the links:

Rehabilitation For Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312E4.asp - broken link)

Overcoming criminal inadmissibility (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp#deemed - broken link)

Deemed rehabilitation

You may be deemed rehabilitated if you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Depending on the nature of your offence, at least five years and as many as 10 years must have passed since you completed the sentence imposed for your crime. Deemed rehabilitation also depends on whether you have committed one or more offences. In all cases, you may only be deemed rehabilitated if the offence committed would be punishable in Canada by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 10 years.

You are not required to submit an application to be deemed rehabilitated. However, before arriving at a port of entry, we strongly advise you to contact a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate outside Canada to see if you qualify.

It basically says you should be allowed through, but should check your status first to see if you qualify. Of course if you get a nasty border agent or one who is having a bad day, they can still deny entry. What ever you do, don't lie, especially if you're crossing the border again.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Thanks for the info, akck! I might have to look into it; it would be nice to have the freedom to drive in Canada again, if I go traveling out of here sometime soon.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM

As of Janurary sometime you will need a passport to cross into Canada. As part of our National ID program from HLSD.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:53 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Thanks for the info, akck! I might have to look into it; it would be nice to have the freedom to drive in Canada again, if I go traveling out of here sometime soon.
You're welcome. Unfortunately, if you want to drive to/from SE AK to the rest of the state, the only real option is to go through Canada. The Juneau/Whittier ferry is expensive and doesn't run often enough.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,389 times
There is a ferry that runs from Bellingham to Whittier but I don't think it runs all year. Check the Ferry schedule. You will bypass Canada using this route.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 PM

30 posts, read 79,653 times
Thank you for your help. I will try the Border crossing servises and see what they say. I'm still confused about the Ferry. Does it not leave say Haines in AK.and end up in Bellingham WA? Looking at there site does not explain everything. Thank you all again.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:45 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbsm View Post
Does it not leave say Haines in AK.and end up in Bellingham WA?
Sure does.....but between Anchorage and Haines you drive through Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska