U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 AM

395 posts, read 1,608,030 times

Advertisements

Where there is permafrost, how do you people keep your plumbing from freezing other than running heater wires? If there are none in the Haines area, can a person bury the water line deep enough to keep it above freezing? Or is it a combo of thick insulation, heating and/or a continuous recirculation?
I may be building a cabin there if I can't find a reasonable home to purchase.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 24,059 times
It's basically a combination of all the options you mentioned. Or you can do it the cheap and easy way. Burry your lines deep and on especially cold nights leave the cold tap running in ground floor bathrooms and the kitchen. Not to mention plenty of good insulation.

Last edited by amhs03; 03-17-2007 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 AM

14 posts, read 71,753 times
Don't think you'll have perma-frost problems in haines . But if ya google (frost protected foundation design Gallena alaska) you should find the paper on an airport control tower addition they built this way . try ( building alaska log cabins ) that'll give ya a bunch of hits too . Haines huh ? Hope ya got a fat wallet . The southeast is very pricey as a whole , Haines may be alittle easyer cuz it's on the road .
Btw when your googlin pay attention to anything put out by UAF (university at fairbanks) , they are our guru's . Gota luv those smart folk's with free info.

I just ate what??!! <--common phrase used by newcomers to the bush

Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the good info since it does look lke I am going to build just enough to keep my bones worm
Fat wallet is relative. In So. Ca., anyone who owns a home are already in the 1/2 mil class average where most in the "burbs" are in the mil class. I've looked in the Juneau area which is even higher and still have no paved roads out. That was the reason for the other choice which was Haines. At least, I can drive to my gold claim in B.C. where, I am sure, I will spend 100 for every dollar of gold recovered. But back to Haines, I've picked it because it seem to be warmer on the average than say, Soldotna which I dearly loved the friendly people there, or the Anchorage area. After over 3/4 of a century on this earth, I am planning to retire end of the month and I want to live out my dream of living in AK san the wife who will visit from time to time.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM

So ya gota gold mine huh . still in the prospectin phase myself lol . You'll like haines. living there you'll be able to get 1st dibbs on any claims that come open in that area .
haines is in zone 1 . recomended r-values for that area
ceiling r-38.....above grade walls r-21.....floor r-30 .... below grade walls r-15 basement r-10....on grade r-15.... windows r-3...doors r-2.5 to 7
according to AKWarm an r-value of 21 (walls) will require 18" logs . skinny end + fat end / by 2 = average log thickness =ave. wall r-value .
If i can find the other paper on building the alaska cabin i'll post er for ya.
Hope ya like snow. Haines gets alot .look at wundergound.com for weather, weather history . Sometimes they post pic.s and comments too .

Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Hey Placid,
Thanks!! That is great info. Here, I am a HVAC contractor in So. Ca. and I hardly ever have to worry much about R calc except for commercial building which I hardly do. My skill in A/Cing does not count for much up your way since there are no need for cooling. Heating, YES. I have gotten so lazy through the years, I just use charts and computer software to do the work.
I guess it is time to brush up on my old day training.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Hey Ram , good morning
Building the alaska log home:by Tom Walker isbn 0-88240-511-x
Many people referance this book when talking about building cabins up here .
finally tracked down the other pub.
http://www.ahfc.state.ak.us/iceimage...n_4buildin.pdf
Dose hvac cross into refrigiation at all . Never seems to be anyone around to fix a cooler when one go's down at the local stores . But then again probly not to many stores by your claim . LOL
In regards to your claim - do you have a canadian partner or dule citizinship. How did you fall into your claim in b.c. ?
If you haven't already been there go to - http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-veiwforum?forum=2

Common alaska computer terms -
Log on - put more wood on the fire
Download - Get the wood off the truck
Hard Drive - Getting home in the winter
Byte - what a skeeter dose
Bit - what a skeeter did
Modem - what you did to the weeds

good luk

Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 PM

Hi Placid,
Yes, I see U are quite familiar w/Canadian laws. ie, mining lic by Canadian citizen only. Yes, I took in a Canadian Pardner whom I've met about 9 years previous. It seems my old RV had a tendency to break down literally right at their door steps not once but 3 times and they have a garage. Since then, I have camped at their garage every year going up and back down. I was checking out the old Chinese gold workings of the 1800s and it went from there.

HVAC encompass the general theory of any refrigeration system. HVAC people don't like to work on "small stuff" because they feel it is beneath them. Plus most are too lazy to try to understand circuits which may be somewhat different from A/Cs. In other words, they don't no how to read diagrams. My college backgrd is electrical so it was a natural.
Thanks for all that good info. Truthfully, if I was younger, I would build everything from scratch w/my some of my own designs. As it is, if there was a good well built small house at a dirt cheap price, I would buy it instead of a lot to build on. Still, w/a lot, I would not mind roughing it. Unfortunately, dear wife is a city girl through out so we go different directions. She does hotels and I am still backpacking and tenting as well as RVing.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,708 times
HAINES is south of the discontinuous permafrost line. Still, you could find a way to develop some seasonal frost issues. Frost jacking shallow or surface piers being the first that comes to mind.

Heat - Toyo stove worth the cost and annual maintenance as a backup to to boiler or primary to wood backup. I do not know about the availability of redi-mix concrete, but if it there and not tooooo expensive I would recommend a frost protected shallow foundation. Coastly, any thing that can rot or grow a fungus will. So, build a high n dry coarse clean gravel pad, pour a heated slab on grade, and insulate according to the FPSF guide (search UAF or email me). Do not skimp on the well and septic, way too easy to be drinking oone's own excrement. HIRE AN ENGINEER WITH LOCALEXPERIEnce 3227163 sheldon

Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 AM

Hi Sheldon, Thanks. You will note the initial blurb is 1 1/2 years old. I have since moved to Haines and am building there as we speak though I am back in the lower 48 since it is still not livable. The locals are doing the initial plumbing and building so I took their advice on the water and sewer line depth. Fortunately, or otherwise, I am on sewer and city water. And , you guys are right. It is expensive to build in this fair city. And, yes, I certainly will take all you guys advice especially where insulation is concern.

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 12-03-2009 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: spell'g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska