Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 18,321 times

Advertisements

Hello to anyone who might read this. I am currently living in Texas. My husband is working in Fairbanks , he works as andNDT tech at a refinery. The company he works for wants us to relocate up there . My husband lived there as a teen. My question is what is life like in Fairbanks?We have a 11 year old boy and a 12 year old girl. i have heard more good than bad but I would like an insiders opinion. How is the economy ? any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,199 times
Fairbanks is a great place to live. I grew up in poor southern towns (also in the caribbean but besides that) and i can tell you Fairanks is what I like to call a "Healthy" town. You will love it here.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 AM

905 posts, read 2,400,435 times
Please check out the sticky at the top of the page and use the search feature. Lots of questions can be answered by doing a little research. People would be more than happy to help out with some specific questions if you have them.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Default how to move our household items

Could everyone please give the insider info on the best way to make the move. My husband is already in Fairbanks now we need to get us there. What are the requirments for driving through Canada ? Should we ship our things and fly? no of any good shipping companies? I would appreciate any help.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
It all depends on what your going to take and how much. It's a long drive especially in the winter. Does your husband already have a vehicle up there? How about a place to live? Furnishings? Can he get the time off to fly down and help you drive up?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM

He does have a work truck. He possibly found a house. We have your basic household furnishings approximatley a 2br after consolidating only the have to haves. What are the stipulations on driving? Do you have to have a passport? What if you have a police record from over 15 years ago? I read somewhere that Canada are sticklers of who they let drive. Is Canada the only way to drive?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:05 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
This is a great post started by warptman ...

//www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/488842-how-move-alaska.html

Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 PM

58 posts, read 244,737 times
You can also drive to Bellingham, Washington and take the Alaska Marine highway system to reach Alaska. Here is the link. Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF

Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Just plan on having a passport and save a bunch of heartache. One thing I learned a couple years ago. If you request to have your passport stamped in Canada...they will do a background check. I had a passenger I almost had to leave behind...because of a charge (which was dropped) from back in the 60's!
I also personally know a couple guys that got turned around at the border because they had had an old DWI (DUI) charge. You can contact someone in Canada and get a forgivness for about 300 bucks or something.
As mentioned above...do a search in these threads and there are a handfull of threads/posts pertaining to this particular subject.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 AM

I thank you all for your replies. I am nervouse about coming to alaska. My husband says we are going to love it.Are the people as great as the people in this forum. I have been reading the posts here for about a week to learn as much as i possibly can . I actually spent three years in Maine so I have somewhat of an idea of the winter weather. I will keep doing my research.Thanks everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska