Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:03 PM

238 posts, read 863,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Need2Leave, can you please elaborate?
It is a nationwide epidemic that has led to more unspeakable behavior than any substance man has ever used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That cancer is here too...
no kidding.......

Old 12-13-2008, 01:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
It occured to me tonight that I have seen a profound change in life in the N.W. in the past 15 or so years due to meth. Have you folks seen the same troubles up there... perhaps Anc. being the exception? Down here all but the reputed "hippie" towns (seattle, portland, eugene, No. cal, etc.) have changed remarkably. It's indescribable, but the effect that stuff has on individual lives reaches quite a ways.
I think it's fairly prevalent on POW. The most disgusting thing I ever heard of was a couple of years ago when I started talking to a woman outside of the store because of this beautiful dog she had. She told me that the dog had been a "meth puppy". I had never heard of that. She said that the meth cookers would test their poision on puppies. She had somehow rescued him and said it had been very difficult because he had brain damage. He was a Golden Retriever.

And then there's the Methanuska Valley...no thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM

238 posts, read 863,418 times
Bummer... it's realy a shame sometimes... never realy thought about the impact on pets.

I should qualify my previous statements with an acknowledgement to the rare 5% or so of users who despite perhaps growing up in negative environments have learned to manage their habit responsibly. Unfortunately that $**t has a way of taking hold of people that many don't escape.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think it's fairly prevalent on POW.
no , it's rampant, an epidemic.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:22 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
no , it's rampant, an epidemic.
Yep, and it's ALL OVER, not just the Valley and Alaska in general, but in every state.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,179 times
I couldn't care less about the chit-for-brains people that do it.....its the stealing, scamming and identity theft associated to fund it is the bigger problem.

Be very proficient with your auto-loader handgun, keep it close, shoot to kill as soon as they come inside.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Had a guy that I use to work with that was making close to one hundred grand a year at his job.

He got into Meth and came to work stinking (smelled very bad of chemicals) and sometimes would fall asleep standing there when you were talking with him. He got busted with his Meth lab and fired from his job...

When he was suppose to show up for his trial a few months later, he didn't show and the judge sent the State Troopers out to get him, he got busted again that day for having another Meth Lab set up in his apt....

He has pretty much lost everything he had including his family... Sweeps floors for about eight bucks an hour now if he shows up for work....

Old 12-14-2008, 03:34 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
I couldn't care less about the chit-for-brains people that do it.....its the stealing, scamming and identity theft associated to fund it is the bigger problem.

Be very proficient with your auto-loader handgun, keep it close, shoot to kill as soon as they come inside.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Why anyone would do meth is beyond my comprehension. It permanently destroys your central nervous system and affects the brain for life. It is made of toxic chemicals that stay in the system causing damage forever. It's the nastiest drug ever introduced to human kind, as it is pure chemcal based and poison. Why young people put this crap into their body is way beyond me. Just use a gun, it is a lot faster and less painful.
I suspect you have answered your own question. Those who chronically abuse either drugs or alcohol are hoping to shut off the part of their brain that never goes to sleep, it sits in the back of the mind and talks to them continually, it tells them that there is no hope. At first, the drugs or alcohol works it frees them from their self-imposed chains- it doesn't work for an extended period of time. This part of the brain, feeding on the alcohol or drugs, is a solvent for self-esteem, eventually it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, the more alcohol or drugs they do, the more the (substance of choice) turns them into the person they really do not want to be, but, don't know how to be any different. It is trying to escape from themselves; friends, families, lovers, et al, just get in the way. In time, they come to believe that the only thing keeping them sane is the drug or alcohol, and, they can not envision a life without it; this line of reasoning is the predominant cause of suicide, the primary cause of death in addicts or alcoholics. Some are simple suicides, shooting or hanging, or overdose. Others- suicide by cop has gotten somewhat popular down here, trains, car wrecks, boats, planes, shotguns, handguns-the list is as long as the human imagination is varied. A lot of addicts and alcoholics do a great deal of damage to others before they finally tune out, or, find a way to recover, recovery is a group effort, alone they stay high or drunk. No amount of coertion will help, it just gets them angry, in spite of all the tv programs and hype, interventions do not work, it just sidetracks the inevitable. If it seems that I paint a gloomy picture, you're right, the odds of successfully quiting are stacked against the addict or alcoholic, somewhere in the line of 33 to 1.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 12-15-2008 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska