Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 PM

285 posts, read 616,349 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else seen this from the Chilkat Valley News?

CVN Story #3

And...they're gonna go ahead and show it on Discovery channel in April. For Alaska week. What a hoot! I can't belive that the Powers That Be would air a fake reality show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
[SIZE=2] “We just sort of faked it,” said Sean Brownell, owner of Alaska Heliskiing, the company contracted to guide the Discovery Channel contestants and film crew through a challenge course in the Tsirku Valley. “It turned into fake reality TV, which I think they all are, really.”[/SIZE]
They should've let people compete anyways.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default about par for the course

When it comes to Alaskan "wilderness", their producers define it in a way somewhat differently than most Alaskans would.

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but it turns out that not everything that the Discovery Channel airs is absolutely correct. In fact, they use a considerable amount of "artistic licence" in the editing room for pretty much everything they produce. I've been in several of their productions and not only do they play fast and loose with continuity issues, they're not above fluffing up the content as well. I'm sure that some of it is a result of trying to patch together a workable story from the footage they've taken in the field long after the fact. I'm also sure that they're under considerable pressure to keep costs down and logistics issues to a minimum. Last but not least, they've got to turn often-boring-old-reality into a captivating drama, not always an easy task.

It's pretty amazing what you can do with a judicious camera angle and the right choice of backgrounds. Here in Haines you could probably shoot most of a "wilderness" movie without actually leaving the township, let alone the borough. Between the cover of tall trees and the mountainous backdrop, it's pretty easy to make it look like the middle of nowhere as long as you're careful about where you point the lens. Considering the legal repercussions of dealing with potential fatalities amongst their "competitors" it's not surprising that they chose to shoot several scenes right off the roads here instead of in the middle of nowhere.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM

285 posts, read 616,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
When it comes to Alaskan "wilderness", their producers define it in a way somewhat differently than most Alaskans would.

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but it turns out that not everything that the Discovery Channel airs is absolutely correct. In fact, they use a considerable amount of "artistic licence" in the editing room for pretty much everything they produce. I've been in several of their productions and not only do they play fast and loose with continuity issues, they're not above fluffing up the content as well. I'm sure that some of it is a result of trying to patch together a workable story from the footage they've taken in the field long after the fact. I'm also sure that they're under considerable pressure to keep costs down and logistics issues to a minimum. Last but not least, they've got to turn often-boring-old-reality into a captivating drama, not always an easy task.

It's pretty amazing what you can do with a judicious camera angle and the right choice of backgrounds. Here in Haines you could probably shoot most of a "wilderness" movie without actually leaving the township, let alone the borough. Between the cover of tall trees and the mountainous backdrop, it's pretty easy to make it look like the middle of nowhere as long as you're careful about where you point the lens. Considering the legal repercussions of dealing with potential fatalities amongst their "competitors" it's not surprising that they chose to shoot several scenes right off the roads here instead of in the middle of nowhere.
Duh? Have long been aware that there ain't no such critter as a "reality show." I quit believing in "truth in television" many years before investigative reporting arrived on the scene. It just tickled me to read the CVN article. Especially after living and working in Haines for many years.

You would (or maybe not) be surprised how few people here in south Texas read or even think any more. People just sit back and regurgitate as fact what the see on the idiot box. And the misconceptions about Alaska grow and get worse...which is probably a good thing. Helps keep the weak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska