Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 PM

127 posts, read 346,725 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this is good advice for any one of the 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 AM

285 posts, read 616,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
State unemployment rate shoots up: Alaska News | adn.com

All those considering moving to AK should try to obtain employment before making the move in this shakey economy.
Is it OK to retire here in AK (with money)? We've been back 6 days - Wrangell this time - and so far we've rented an apartment off Front St, ordered furniture, electricity, phones, internet, cable, turned in our TX ID's fo Alaskan ID's, got library cards, bought groceries, registered to vote.....Sure would be a shame to have to go back just because we don't have a job!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stropes View Post
I'm sure this is good advice for any one of the 50 states.
True, BUT, the difference is in the lower 48 you can drive back home to another State. In Alaska you either drive (5-6 days depending on where you are headed), fly, or take the ferry. All 3 options are expensive.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
Is it OK to retire here in AK (with money)? We've been back 6 days - Wrangell this time - and so far we've rented an apartment off Front St, ordered furniture, electricity, phones, internet, cable, turned in our TX ID's fo Alaskan ID's, got library cards, bought groceries, registered to vote.....Sure would be a shame to have to go back just because we don't have a job!
You say you are retired but then mention a job. Are you looking to supplement your retirement? I'm assuming you checked it out before you made the move?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 AM

49 posts, read 102,274 times
I believe that Gypsy was just being facetious.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr5 View Post
I believe that Gypsy was just being facetious.
Is what I figured but with posters you can never be sure.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 01-25-2009 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
Well if you have money as you state, then you have nothing to worry about other than surviving the long winters..now do ya?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM

127 posts, read 346,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
True, BUT, the difference is in the lower 48 you can drive back home to another State. In Alaska you either drive (5-6 days depending on where you are headed), fly, or take the ferry. All 3 options are expensive.
Except when you are unemployed at home, you have no where to drive. I was referring more to the "have so many months of money stashed for emergencies". . .good idea no matter where you are.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stropes View Post
Except when you are unemployed at home, you have no where to drive. I was referring more to the "have so many months of money stashed for emergencies". . .good idea no matter where you are.
Keep in mind that it's a completely different situation in Alaska not having a job or money to pay daily expenses than it's in the lower-48. Just think about Alaska the following way:

A far away place, isolated from the lower-48 States. Once one arrives here, one realizes that Alaska is somewhat similar to arriving to another country overseas, for quite often one has no friends and relatives to rely on during an emergency. In the lower-48, a little money can get one to another city or town to look for work. One can take a bus, a train, or just drive. There are no trains, nor buses in Alaska, and fuel is a lot more expensive than in the lower-48. Once you arrive here, you are isolated from the rest of the States.

In addition to these things, unless one has money, one has to decided to stay warm a home during the long winters, or to put food on the table. There are a few places around Alaska where the weather is mild, but the rest of Alaska is very cold. One can walk for a few minutes looking for work around town, but one can't simply walk long distances like one would do in a place like CA (for example).

Some people get by from paycheck to paycheck, but to have any comfort one must have enough cash to pay for all the expenses from day to day. I have been in Alaska for nearly 30 years, and am working on my second retirement, because one retirement alone won't do up here. With the cash from my first retirement, I could get by in a place like Newport, Washington, or Plattsburgh, NY. Not in Alaska.

Almost forgot: I have lived overseas (while in the military), Northern NY, NYC, Hartford, Northern CA, Northern Washington State, Vermont, and NJ. None of the places I lived at, at least for me, can compare to living in the interior of Alaska in relation to cost of living. In NY I could take the Subway, a bus, a train to another State, or just walk or bicycle to work. Not here.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-25-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,458 times
The Lower 48 are entering an Epic economic depression climaxing in 2011.

Anyone not in there 20's that have anything to lose anyway should not do a 1980's style 'Move to ALASKA' get a job/new life program. (unless well heeled).
In your 20's and if you mess up and daddy will bail ya home?, go for it-- what ya got to lose? Feel stuck and cant make up your mind? wana GET MOVIN? ....have a life where your are now???? Nobodies gona tell ya, you have to say enough is enough, GET OUT--- jobs are help at fishing lodges--- get an assistant guide liscense and HAVE A BLAST, fishing factories on the Coast.
Id go North and get the Ass. liscense , work for one of the Alaskan Guide legends and learn to be an Alaskan, ,, and work in a lodge .
Get a marketable skill and not a BS degree in Art History or some other Bs degree. UAF is pretty topnotch and tough--- should be able to sell parents on it--- rent an apartment in college 450$ a month ( behind the mini mall/laundry), within walking distance to the University.

The rich will still go to the lodges and as dumb as Americans are they will continue to try to miantain theyre pride level and have fun until the have to explain to their families why there broke while the other poor saps suk it in..... reality! what a joke--- sound familiar? LOL

Be a good time for young 20 yearolds to get some roots and then jump on a life at the BOTTOM. Thats what i would do if I was an Alaska Lover and wanted roots.

The real dynamics of the world economy are crashing down as we peak. Dow 3500. The yuppies I know are down 250,000$ and freaked.

Wana live in La La land and think your getting the straight skinny from the BS Evening news? a picture is being painted to keep the sheople asleep/quiet and especially dumbed down. Cable/ DISH LOL--- what a Joke. Hard to get off opiates -- Wana ween? just do videos. Watch Grizzly man or Forgiven , but TURN OFF FAUX, caty couric??? LOL, what a joke! AND THE OTHER UTTER SEWER EXCRIMANT.

Dow to 3500 and not coming back during your life my friend. Expect to realize a retirement on rentals? forgetaboutit......

401K-- OK make a Kenya Barry Santoro market top this spring only to dump next October--- so you sell at the top and other people lose--- WOW! way to make money.

I got my eyes on the prime R.E. that is semi remote that will need to be liquidated and we return to Sane right pricing for the average man to own.

A home , acreage will become like buying a loaf of bread--- ya get what ya pay for-- no longer this $200.000 for 5 acres but $25,000.

Alaska is tight knit , and the worst place to look for R.E. is on the internet or the others. Gotta have your feet on the ground.

What bothers me a lot is the collateral damage that will take place. I know the villages are takin a Big Hit.... bugs me bad-- who caused this?

Cailfornia is probably gonna go bancrupt. 10 million illegal bill;;LOL and cant take care of there own, amazing...

Price of oil might stay in tha 50's for a long time.

Too bad Alaska didnt get mining going. REALIZE; ENVIRONMENTALS ARE ENCOURAGED BY THE MEGA BILLIONAIRE OIL/SOCIAL ARCHETECTS. Think about it! LOL what a scam...

But sadly the yuppies 90% of donations (50$ a year ) , are now going bancrupt so plan on emergency enviro threat so donate now.

Im gonna start a non profit and pay myself $200,000 a year (non-profit)and dew the dew...... non profit of course.

Things are sustainable if the robber barrons werent raping the whole. What a scam goin on.

A cleansing is coming...... Get to Alaska , the pipleine should start in 2011- just less than 2 years away. Have a good trip my friends ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska