Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 AM

53 posts, read 121,575 times

Advertisements

I need about 20 people to help me pack and load all of the "junk" I'm going to get rid of. All you'll need to do is buy a plane ticket, pay for your hotel and I'll take care of the Pizza, any takers???

Seriously though, until you really try to sort through every single belonging you can't really understand how much unneeded "junk" you have. Since we only have 9 days left to finish packing and moving my mom out of her place I have realized that we are horrific pack rats. I can't explain how very freeing it is to unload so much unnecessary stuff. The best part (INJECT SARCASM HERE) is that I get to do it all again for my place next month. WOOOOHOOO! Sorry all, I just needed to vent for a moment.

The moving is moving right along. lol. We should be in AK by the 1st of April. Hopefully I'll get to meet up with a few of you.

Saucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Yep. I always get such a KICK out of packing for moving. That's right up there at the top of my fun list.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 AM

23 posts, read 55,786 times
You are moving from Indy to AK? Lucky duck, you! I'm in Louisville. I moved here from AK 10/07 and every day want to get back...working on it. Good luck if you are driving and remember, don't eat or sleep in Watson Lake!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Do you have any antiques to get rid of? I'd be interested in anything small enough to ship via UPS to Alaska!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Time to have a CD yard sale!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,648 times
Please reference our "It has begun thread" and the pink-post-it-note-incident that left my husband and dog scared to be in my presence . At some point you just want to wiggle your nose like "I dream of Jeannie" and make it all go away!

Then you can be up here with the rest of us unpacking things and saying "Why in he*l did I pack THIS????"

Dawn

Old 01-23-2009, 03:51 AM

Actually Rance, I have quite a few antiques that I'll be selling. My mother and I are mini dealers. We are sending all to auction. What types of things do you buy?

Saucy

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I need a spinning wheel, crock jugs and jars, a handcrank telephone.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 AM

638 posts, read 1,918,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
I need about 20 people to help me pack and load all of the "junk" I'm going to get rid of. All you'll need to do is buy a plane ticket, pay for your hotel and I'll take care of the Pizza, any takers???

Seriously though, until you really try to sort through every single belonging you can't really understand how much unneeded "junk" you have. Since we only have 9 days left to finish packing and moving my mom out of her place I have realized that we are horrific pack rats. I can't explain how very freeing it is to unload so much unnecessary stuff. The best part (INJECT SARCASM HERE) is that I get to do it all again for my place next month. WOOOOHOOO! Sorry all, I just needed to vent for a moment.

The moving is moving right along. lol. We should be in AK by the 1st of April. Hopefully I'll get to meet up with a few of you.

Saucy
We're currently doing the same as you since we're moving to AK in April.

We have a full basement and boxes galore. The past few weekends we have been going through all our needless crap we have moved from house to house w/o even opening the boxes LOL> We just move them.

We now have 3 areas of boxes, the stuff we are bring w/us (only a few boxes so far and many books.. can't get rid of my Stephen King collection), a stack of boxes filled for the garage sale we'll have once the weather clears and a stack of trash boxes of stuff that won't sell and we don't want

We moved to Montana w/a 26 ft Uhaul crammed tight and we are going to bring it down to a 14 ftr (primarily because we are NOT selling our beds and that will take alot of room)

It is very nice getting rid of so much stuff. I've been telling my hubby for the past year that I wanted to live more minimalistic. We have no knickknacks but we just have stuff and I didn't want to keep it around anymore.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Sounds like you just described our exact situation. The majority of our boxes are books, something like 50 small boxes worth. I did get rid of three large boxes of books and it didn't even make a dent.

We are not knickknack people either. With four smallish kids it would just be a lesson in stupidity. Plus to be honest I don't get into "cute" stuff.

Today we tried to take our auction stuff in and they said they couldn't sell it because they weren't selling stuff real well and apparently they get pickier. We are talking some nice vintage and antiques as well as household goods. That was very disappointing. I'm going to try a different auction house on Monday.

Good Luck to you Lovincarl,

Saucy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: