Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,483,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yes, Alaska is on top of everything. That's why the call it "Top of the World". But we aren't ruled by a bloody queen.
I think they have a Parliment.... Don't quote me, but just guessing here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 AM

145 posts, read 568,027 times
Well, there *are* the 'forgotten' six counties, who, until recently, were suffering terribly under the Queen's rule

Still no reunification.

One time, when I was in Belfast, a 15 year old was shot...point blank...for wearing a Celtic Hoops shirt by a unionist.

I was coming around a corner (same trip) on The Falls Road and was almost run over by a RUC (PISNI today) British soldier fully dressed in body armor...face thingie...pointing his rifle right in my nose. Whew!

Yup, there are parts of Ireland where the Queen is a very sore subject.

Like my bumper sticker says "26 + 6 = 1"

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
That would be like me saying that Ireland is a state of England.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,183,153 times

YouTube - Tommy Makem - Four Green Fields

Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,997,845 times
Just for the information for ya all in Cork; Russia sold all of Alaska to the U.S.A. for $ 7,200,000. U.S.A. currency in 1867.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM

261 posts, read 777,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkgirl View Post
(young irish girl hoping to travel and work in Texas or Canada)

Hi! im a 20year old girl from Cork,Ireland and i was hoping to travel and work in Texas or Canada.Due to the recession and everything is this the totally wrong time to go?? Im hoping not!! Iv trained as a barber here and iv also worked as a waitress and receptionist in a hotel.What are my chances of getting work in either Texas or Canada?? And is there a big Irish community in either place,i know thats abit vague but...!! any information appreciated,thanks!!
Unfortunately its not just the recession that will make it difficult to work in either country its gaining a work visa, you may be able to get a seasonal workers visa but they are few and far between, actual work visas are like rocking horse teeth unless you have a degree or are a doctor or lawyer forget it. My advice would be to spend some time working and saving there and then visit the US and Canada as tourist.
As for finding fellow countrymen both countries have huge Irish populations who dont take a lot of hunting down just keep your eyes open for the Irish style pubs

Have fun !

Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,930,231 times
You might have to learn English, too before you come across the pond...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,997,845 times
Default English ! ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You might have to learn English, too before you come across the pond...
No they will need to learn to speak "American".

Example; "You can call me anything you like but jus dont call me late for supper, unlessun ya hand me that thar gitfiddle, than it dont make no nevermind"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska