Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,517 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 male in the army and might be going up to ft Greely Alaska. I've lived in Alaska for about 11 years now and and already know what to expect with the cold but i have some questions about other things in fort Greely.
-what are the barracks like?all one or two people to a room? is there cable/ internet availible in the barracks?-
-what is the gym like?
-what nearby lakes are good for fishing?
-what sort of things do people do for recreation?
-im not planning on bringing my car up there because i dont think it will do well.. will not having a car be much of a issue?
thats about all the questions i can think of at the moment but i'm sure ill come up with more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
You're in the Army now, eating Army Chow....

Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM

179 posts, read 594,834 times
Are you sure you've been living in Alaska?
You will need a car - Greely is several miles from Delta Jct.
There's plenty of recreation area available in the Donnelly Training Area. Ask Range Control about access. Kreig Sharp might still be there..?

It's been several years since I've been on Ft. Greely proper, so I can't tell you what the barracks/gym situation is like.

I got stuck doing DZST duties at Donnely Drop Zone for several days back in 1999/2000. I suffered through a night of -60 ambient temps on at least one of those missions. Ft. Greely holds a special place in my heart. not.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,417 times
Billy,

I've been here for a year. Here are you answers in order.
Barracks are single person. Decent accommodations for the Army. Cable available through GCI. internet GCI or ACS.
GYM is adequate for a post this size. BBall, Racquetball, Rock Climbing, Pool, Sauna wet and dry, brand new weight machines, cardio room with TVs and free weights.
Several lakes on the Donnelly training range for fishing.
Winter MWR has snowmachines and ice fishing gear. Summer just about any outdoor sports imaginable.
Night life is mostly off post although there is a small sports bar and Warrior Zone Game room on post.
Having a car is pretty vital if you want to do activities off post since things are pretty spread out. Most necessities are at the PX or Commissary. However if you want electronics or other luxuries Fairbanks is your best bet 100 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska