Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Oh and speaking of Bettles Lodge, the person who posted that stuff about them obviously has no credibility (and needs to get a first year law student to explain to him)what a class action lawsuit is) But coolworks does; they're reputable and decent people...and they do refuse to have Bettles advertise on their site; so at least that much is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh and speaking of Bettles Lodge, the person who posted that stuff about them obviously has no credibility (and needs to get a first year law student to explain to him)what a class action lawsuit is) But coolworks does; they're reputable and decent people...and they do refuse to have Bettles advertise on their site; so at least that much is the truth.
Or with his tilt on slander, they may have believed him verses checking out the story just to avoid the hassle. Sadly there were a lot of people that jumped on his bandwagon when he first posted.

What I didn't mention earlier, is that the Lodge doesn't have a "Garage", it has a hanger, it is heated and such. The poster has clearly never been to Bettles.

When I asked him why he didn't start the wood stove, he would have known there wasn't one.... The hanger has oil heat....

Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,604 times
I do think that the State administration should go out to some of these villages and check out the situation! I don't undertand why they have not done that yet. People should get help if they need it! And to respond to some of the other questions:

Quote:
FFS. They don't all drink and smoke.

I know, and that is why I said it was a generalization. Just something he noticed when he was out in the villages with people who live there.

How do you know that they are suffering in silence or at all?

Because I work at one of the regional hospitals and I have moms bring their kids in for something and when we question them about food, they tell us they eat three cup o noodles a day and nothing else, or I ask elders who are anemic about their diets, and they tell me that they eat meat once or twice a month because they cant afford it. I call that suffering in silence, because they don't ask for help, and only offer the info if questioned.

I don't think it is a scam. But if it is, the people involved can be prosecuted for several things...mail fraud being foremost.

I don't think it is a scam either, but it might be time for the state to do a rural health assessment because I am just saying their are other areas that are doing bad also, and no one is helping them because they aren't asking for it.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Or with his tilt on slander, they may have believed him verses checking out the story just to avoid the hassle. Sadly there were a lot of people that jumped on his bandwagon when he first posted.
It's my understanding that they yanked Bettles about a year or so ago before this guy started squawking about them. Who knows why, and they certainly won't say. They guy's story is full of holes as you've said, but there's also something off at Bettles; could be nothing more than -48 people coming up there to work and not being at all prepared for real life in remote AK. I'd advise anyone considering going to work there or at any other remote place to get references from former employees first.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
If it doesn't make economic sense for communities to exist in certain areas, we may need to think about whether or not those communities should be propped up artifically, or whether gradual relocation is a better option.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If it doesn't make economic sense for communities to exist in certain areas, we may need to think about whether or not those communities should be propped up artifically, or whether gradual relocation is a better option.
WTF!! communities like this exist all over the US not just Alaska. Just where the heck do you think all these people should relocate too???? Not such a bright idea and why don't you go and suggest this to families that have lived in these communities for many many generations?? Better yet go to West Virginia into the mountains and tell some of those families your idea....you get shot!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It made plenty of economic sense at one time.

Lots of rural Alaskans have been moving into Anchorage in recent years.

It's destroying them.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
I am reposting this:
ya can thank the lower 48 man for "educating" and bringing the "native" people into this century. I won't say white man because it goes well beyond a skin color.
We made them dependent on heating fuel, limited their heritage hunting of subsistance.. ohhh gosh I could go on and on and on.... No brains that some ways are better left alone. We have made some cultures in Alaska dependant on snowmachines, heating oil, food flown in instead of allowing them to continue a way of life that has been their way for generations,....did we help them or are we allowing them to starve now because the economey has tanked. sorry gotta stop now 'cuz this issure really pisses me off..

How is it that people who violate laws have better health care, food, accommodations of clean laundry, sheets, 3 meals a day with meat and balanced food groups, TV, wall to wall carpet etc in a heated building and they have committed crimes. Just think what could be done with the money saved if we didn't give all these luxuries to criminals!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
WTF!! communities like this exist all over the US not just Alaska. Just where the heck do you think all these people should relocate too???? Not such a bright idea and why don't you go and suggest this to families that have lived in these communities for many many generations?? Better yet go to West Virginia into the mountains and tell some of those families your idea....you get shot!!
We're talking about different situations. For instance, to relocate a single eroding coastal village to a more stable position inland can cost hundreds of millions of dollars. Repeat that across several villages, and that number spirals into the billions. And that's just for those few villages.

Truth is, a lot of these villages only exist because government money props them up. They aren't actually viable communities as they are currently constituted. There might be a romantic or nostalgic attachment to the land, but few are actually able or willing to live in such harsh conditions using traditional methods, without any outside assistance.

In this time of economic crisis, we have to be realistic about what can be supported over the long-term, and what cannot be.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Quote:
It made plenty of economic sense at one time.

Lots of rural Alaskans have been moving into Anchorage in recent years.

It's destroying them.

Correct, and the SE is even worse.
Thanks to the "checks" the rural areas have gotten addidcted to Freddie's, Cosco, and now Walmart.
And this year, the checks are nill, if any. Welcome to lower 48 living.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska