Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times

Advertisements

But does Russia have big scary penguins like Alaska does?
I think we have one up on them there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 AM

83 posts, read 345,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
But does Russia have big scary penguins like Alaska does?
I think we have one up on them there
I have seen one of those big, scary penguins here on the AK board that you speak of. I had nightmares for weeks. Those huge TEETH!!!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,469,148 times
Default Tinfoil Helmet ALERT!

Tinfoil Helmet ALERT! WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
You mean... nahh, you can't be serious!

Did they really get up the nerve to look under the bed? And they found those 205 commies that Uncle Joe had on his list?

After all those years, they must have been dried up like mummies.

(Actually, what the found out was that a lot of old Russians were scared to death of the US because of what they'd seen during WWII. We didn't look an less likely to attack them than Hilter...)
Besides the earlier Venona documents, Russian documents released after the USSR fell proved in fact the government was full of communist spies, particularly the State Department. There were spies in the Manhatten Project during WWII. There were in fact over 200 spies working for the Soviet Union. Some communist spies:
Mary Jane Keeney, Cedric Belfrage, Franz Newman, Leonard Mins, Gustavo Duran, the Rosenbergs, Harry Gold, Klaus Fuchs, and David and Ruth Greenglass...

NSA - Introductory History of VENONA

YouTube - Ex-KGB Uri Bezmenov On Ideological Indoctrination - Part 1

Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,666,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Do we really have anything they'd want here? Oil is on the down swing, fishing is even worse, maybe some mining...but would it be cost efficient to produce and ship it to the motherland? Trapping wouldn't be an option, no farming to speak of. Timber?
Pretty much all we have is scenery. They won't be able to do alot with that. Until things perk up tourism is going to fizzle out save for the rich and famous.
Sorry...I just don't see any invasion happening. The toll would be to great for what little we'd have to offer.
Although I don't think an invasion would happen in the foreseeable future as a practical matter, this is not to say that the loss of Alaska isn't a source of bitterness and long-term geopolitical aspirations for Russians. You forget that Alaska is strategically very important. It would provide a backdoor to the "lower 48" United States, Russia's natural adversary. It would allow Russia to control north Pacific shipping and fishing. And possessing Alaska would also allow Russia to engulf Japan, its old enemy.

By the way -- I am not freaking out over an article. I am originally from Russia, and I base my opinion on my review of Russian sources.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,641,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Although I don't think an invasion would happen in the foreseeable future as a practical matter, this is not to say that the loss of Alaska isn't a source of bitterness and long-term geopolitical aspirations for Russians. You forget that Alaska is strategically very important. It would provide a backdoor to the "lower 48" United States, Russia's natural adversary. It would allow Russia to control north Pacific shipping and fishing. And possessing Alaska would also allow Russia to engulf Japan, its old enemy.

By the way -- I am not freaking out over an article. I am originally from Russia, and I base my opinion on my review of Russian sources.
And those points you make are enough in themselves that we won't sell.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,469,148 times
Default lets not forget

Lets not forget that with the current depressed prices for oil and gas, Russia is just about as cash-strapped as we are in the US.
If they scraped all the rubles out of the couch cushions and fished around under the seats in the car, they MIGHT be able to buy Rhode Island.

I'd say that we ought to sell them Kalifornia since the communists already control Sacremento, but I'm not sure they could afford to take over payments.

If anyone's worried about the US being bought up at pennies on the dollar, they need to look more in the direction of China. They're the only ones with the spare cash to go bargain shopping these days.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM

251 posts, read 702,934 times
Yeah, you have to be extra careful when you have strangers eyeing your back door.
Well, unless you're into that sort of thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska