Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
For the benefit of the OP:
I live here in Wasilla.
I like it. I have access to what I need and I can drive to what I want to see from here (ie: the rest of Alaska)
I commute and the drive on the Glenn on the good days is the payoff for the bad days.
I have made good friends in the community.
I have not seen meth, been pandered to for meth, been asked to buy meth or been asked to used meth.

One's perspective of a place is seen through the lens of their own experiences, I guess.
That's pretty much how it is in most meth areas; the very nature of the drug makes its users paranoid; they aren't liable to approach people about it, particular if they don't have a certain look and attitude (healthy).

I've never been approached about it in any part of AK or elsewhere; I think people who use it have a sort of radar.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-14-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
am relocating to wasilla in august ned any info and rental info as well

Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why on earth are you moving to Whitesilla?
Same reason folks move to Portland, Eugene, Memphis, Nashville, Seattle, etc. etc. etc....they want to I would presume.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,505 times
When did it ever get called whitesilla? Never heard that, never heard Los Anchorage either thats retarded. Wasilla and everything around was just the "Valley" and anchorage was "Anchor town"...the whole nickname thing must be a product of the media. I think Wasilla is cool, when I was there I never ran into meth. I'm 420 friendly and that was never hard to find, ever.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM

33 posts, read 65,201 times
I belive our family has actually decided on Wasilla. For the reason the locals on this post actually stated. It's the lower 48 transplanted to Alaska. It is a good transition to the Alaskan way of life. I feel that it will serve as sort of "An Alaska on training wheels", if you will, and thats really what my family needs to learn the culture, make new friends and gather knowledge about the dangers that are abundant (if not educated) in Alaska. It may lead to a move later or maybe not? We will just have to wait and see.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,505 times
Wasilla a transplant of the lower 48? Well that just sucks! I'm movin to big lake.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texheat00 View Post
I belive our family has actually decided on Wasilla. For the reason the locals on this post actually stated. It's the lower 48 transplanted to Alaska. It is a good transition to the Alaskan way of life. I feel that it will serve as sort of "An Alaska on training wheels", if you will, and thats really what my family needs to learn the culture, make new friends and gather knowledge about the dangers that are abundant (if not educated) in Alaska. It may lead to a move later or maybe not? We will just have to wait and see.
No it's really not anymore lower 48 transplanted then Anchorage, Palmer or Eagle River, Kenai, etc. Lower 48'ers are all over Alaska. A good transition period can be anywhere one chooses and depends upon what they are looking for and where they can find a job.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,104 times
Wanting to move to Alaska. Have a family. Want to wake up and look out my windows and see big mountains. up close. Prefer 20 acres or more to raise a little farm and be self sufficient sorta.. Still need to work. Commuting not a problem. I drive 32 miles one way now. Considering Palmer area, Cordova. I am good mechanic, not the best but better than others. any suggestions?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,106,585 times
Yes.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

251 posts, read 679,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander2918 View Post
Wanting to move to Alaska. Have a family. Want to wake up and look out my windows and see big mountains. up close. Prefer 20 acres or more to raise a little farm and be self sufficient sorta.. Still need to work. Commuting not a problem. I drive 32 miles one way now. Considering Palmer area, Cordova. I am good mechanic, not the best but better than others. any suggestions?
Very good mechanics (ones that can rebuild transmissions and have diagnostic tools/computers, etc) and charge a reasonable shop rate could do very well, when I came back up to alaska from going to school in colorado and got a truck and became a working class adult it took me a little over 2 years to find a good mechanic, most garages are a racket and dont take the time to REALLY fix your rig. As soon as you need a rear main seal replaced or something like that they throw there hands up and quote you some outlandish price like 2-3k and I understand it requires an engine pull and will be over 1000$ but alot of garages go WAY over the top. Some of these garages that rebuild automatic transmissions charge so much its only a few hundred bucks more to order a new one (if it costs me less than 1000$ more to just buy a new one you just lost some buisness, im not going to spend thousands of dollars on a rebuilt transmission and run the risk of having "issues"), I dont know what they are thinking or how they stay in buisness but alot of buisnesses in alaska baffle me as to how they can even keep there doors open with some of the prices they charge.

Wasilla is a decent place to live, I would recommend palmer or outlying areas inbetween palmer and wasilla so long as you dont have to commute to anchorage, there are alot of people that do it but its not for me, if you have to work in anchorage just live there because you are going to be commuting almost 2 hours each way depending on where in the valley you live and the glenn is a massive clogged artery, save yourself a heart attack and just get a cabin in the valley to get away on long weekends or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska