U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 PM

1,121 posts, read 4,224,009 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to this forum, just found it a couple days ago. My family is considering relocating to Haines, and we'd like to contact someone who's lived there or better yet, is living there now. We've got a pre-school age son, so corresponding with someone who's lived there with young kids would be great. We lived in Eagle River a couple years so Alaska is not a complete mystery but....we're talking apples and kumquats comparing those two towns. The smallest place we've ever lived was the Anchorage area, so life in a town as small as Haines (~2400 people?) is our chief concern.

Pros and cons, concerns and comments, all welcome. Thanks in advance for any information on raising a family in SE AK.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM

15,601 posts, read 37,252,363 times
There is one person here (amhs03) from Haines. You could PM him/her for info or maybe they'll stop in here. Scroll down through some of the older threads and you'll find one or two.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM

69 posts, read 303,220 times
Hi, You could get the book "If You Lived Here I would Know Your Name" by Heather Lende. She lives in Haines and writes about it for Anchorage Daily News once a week or so. Look for her columns there. Good Luck.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 PM

75 posts, read 294,715 times
rotorhead....

email Heather through her website---->http://www.heatherlende.com<----she's a great lady...raised 4 kids there in Haines and is very active in the community, especially with the kids....

There isn't anything she can't or won't answer for you.... she was my neighbor for several years...

In addition to contributing weekly to the Anchorage Daily News, she contributes to the Haines paper & National Public Radio....
---->http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com<----

Copy & paste those website addys into your browser...

I figured out how to trick the board software to keep it from putting in the [url] tags on a web address....

Last edited by Alaskan454; 03-22-2007 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Default thanks everyone....amhs03...are you there?

thanks everyone for your information. I've been reading the columns that Heather Lende has been writing for the ADN, she's got a LOT of stuff out there!

Still love to hear from amhs03 if she's out there, perhaps out sailing at the moment?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:52 PM

sailing in March....hardly

shoveling snow would be more like it..

Record snow blankets upper Chilkat Valley

----->http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/archive/2007-01-3.html<----

Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 PM

395 posts, read 1,607,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum, just found it a couple days ago. My family is considering relocating to Haines, and we'd like to contact someone who's lived there or better yet, is living there now. We've got a pre-school age son, so corresponding with someone who's lived there with young kids would be great. We lived in Eagle River a couple years so Alaska is not a complete mystery but....we're talking apples and kumquats comparing those two towns. The smallest place we've ever lived was the Anchorage area, so life in a town as small as Haines (~2400 people?) is our chief concern.

Pros and cons, concerns and comments, all welcome. Thanks in advance for any information on raising a family in SE AK.
Are U relocating to take a job in Haines or do U already have a position ready? As U probably are aware, jobs in any small town are limited and especially in a small town in like Haines. U will probable see some of my posting inquiring about Haines since I am readying to relocate there. But my situation is different. Some of my GRANDkids are already out of college. I do know is Haines is somewhat of a tourist town though not quite in the same league as say, Juneau or Sitka. Like many of the Alaskan towns, cost of living seem to be a little steep. But, of course, that comment is from a tourist standpoint.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM

395 posts, read 1,607,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post

//www.city-data.com/county/Haines_Borough-AK.html

I forgot, Have U tried the above site?

Old 03-24-2007, 03:53 PM

23 Haines Alaska video clips...

copy & paste without the arrows

---->http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Haines+Alaska<------

Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Haines videos. etc.

Thanks again everyone for the information, but what I'm really looking for is the stuff that typically doesn't show up on the web. I've looked over the chamber of commerce site, watched the videos, been catching up on the archive of Lendes articles (very good resource there). Still and all, couple of questions I'd like to know.

- Does Haines have a pre-K program at the school, if so what ages?
-Hows the shopping there, I don't expect a Fred Meyers but is there more than one grocery store? Any Asian or Indian shops?
- What kind of restaurants are in town, anything besides burgers and fried halibut? (I love halibut, but even I can't eat it every day)
- Whats the clinic like in town? I understand its not a hospital, but what kind of health care can you get without going to Juneau or ANC?
- What kind of issues does the community rally around? Whats sets people off and what lights their fires?
-And of course since this IS Alaska....hows the fishing?

If you live there or know about it personally, please PM me when you have a moment to spare. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska