U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times

Advertisements

Hey. I am a young (23 year old) nursing student and will be graduating in May with my RN- BSN. I would love to not only relocate from South Dakota but make a little money to pay off these student loans. What do you think about the hospital in Bethel? Is it big, do they hire new grads? Also although it looks like they do pay a good wage what is the cost of living? I would either be moving by myself or with my significant other. What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM

457 posts, read 930,368 times
Put a resume and an App. in and find out. Even a bad decision is a good decision when it comes to it!

In other words there is no such thing as a bad "ADVENTURE"...... GO FOR IT! iTS JUST WHAT it is..........

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 PM

69 posts, read 302,190 times
Hi,

Consider Valdez where we have a new hospital and are in need of nurses. Check out their website at http://WWW.PROVIDENCE.ORG/ALASKA/EMPLOYMENT/

Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 8,365,771 times
Personally, I would never move to Bethel. Very high cost of living there, and no road access. Or Valdez. Valdez is very nice in the summer, and has road access, but they get incredibly hellacious amounts of snow all winter. (I mean LOTS)
On the other hand, Wasilla/Palmer (just north of Anchorage, 40 miles) has a brand-new hospital (2006): Mat-Su Regional Medical Center, that I would very seriously consider.
http://www.matsuregional.com/index_flash.php (broken link)
And you would be living in the beautiful Matanuska Valley, where they grow giant vegetables and crops all summer and fall. Beautiful scenic mountain views out your living room window. And, it's on the highway system...only an hours drive to the "big" city: Anchorage. Great area.
My wife is an LPN, and she says the "travel" nurses she's met up here, those working under contract with an agency, make WAY more money than those working directly for a hospital. They work under like a 90-day contract with the hospital, then either move on, or renew the contract. Big bucks. You could go from one city to another here every 90 days, until you found the one you wanted to settle in...just a thought. You might do a Google search for "travel nurse agency", hire on with one of those outfits, and let them find you a job. You can always specify the area/city. My $.02

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 03-23-2007 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 21,385 times
Default Bethel

I travel around the state of Alaska for my job, and I've been to Bethel quite a bit as well as other parts of the state. I work in early intervention and so I've worked a lot with people in the health corporation there.

You know, so many people I've seen really love Bethel, and so many people I know also really hate it. It really depends on what you're looking for and what kind of a person you are. If you can, I highly recommend that you fly out to Alaska and try to see it. Alaska is HUGE and each corner of it is vastly different, with various weather conditions to culture to economy.

I knew of some nurses who they interviewed and they flew them out to Bethel to see it. If you talk to them, they may fly you out there as well as see some villages. It's a high cost of living, but there's also not a lot of places to spend your money, so many end up saving a lot of money that way.

That's my recommendation.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 133,885 times
The hospital is small, but you would not have to worry about the cost of living out here. The hospital will pay for your relocation and housing. The real expense you will encounter is gas and food prices, but if your a smart shopper and use the internet like all of us, you will save. Also gas is expensive but you only fill up every 4 weeks, theres only 7 miles of road, and no where to go. The town is gray in the winters but the summers have color. Dont let the view from the airport fool you. The culture, people and money is worth it.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 20,589 times
I am considering moving to Bethel from New England, which I will visit Bethel in a few weeks. However, I have several questions that I would appreciate responses from those living in Bethel as follows:

1) What type of snow mobile should one consider acquiring for life in Bethel. What type of ATV is recommended? 2) Is there a health center (gym) in Bethel and/or a place for one to "work out"? 3) What is the housing market like in Bethel? 4) Is it easy to master the shopping via the Internet as I understand most people purchase on-line? 5) How is the social life for singles? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska