Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,263 times

Advertisements

Was just on AOL and read this article of a woman and her "pet" bear.

Pa. woman killed by captive black bear

Maybe when you are tossing dog food it should be at a dog? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
HA HA (lol to your post title not the actual event) I saw that on the news. Geesh, people need to stick to dogs and cats and a few other little critters. Big wild animals such as this bear belong in a zoo or in the wild.

ETA: I am not making fun of the event just your title. It is an unfortunate event, my condolences to the family.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Exactly CTR I feel sorry for this poor woman and her family but honestly what part of "wild" in wildlife didn't she get? I'm just amazed that almost every other week we hear of some animal lover who gets snacked on by their "pet". And if they survive they always say something like "snooky never did that before".

Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I love bears, and believe that they can be a loving pet if they are taken as a cub. I support Vital Ground, and they have shown that this is possible...

YouTube - The Legacy of Bart the Bear

YouTube - Bart the Bear 2 and Honey-Bump in Training

Watch these videos before commenting please.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Even taken as cubs to raise......they are "still" a "wild" animal with wild instincts. There is no video that can convince me otherwise. Wild is wild...which means the animal can always be unpredictable regardless of how much training, etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
There are indeed those who think of Bears as benign house pets. History has shown that people who think like this are often proven to be DEAD wrong. But, but, but, but.....sweet little snookums has never killed me before!!!! Then the state kills the bear because some human was terminally stupid.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,396 times
Bart the Bear is a trained grizzly who has appeared in many shows and films. To accomplish this, as with any other wild animal in shows and movies, they are handled by trained professionals, not people keeping them as pets. Their trainers "work" with them every day and these trainers are fully aware of the power of these animals and the danger they can inflict. Sorry, but this is not a good comparison for the lady who was killed. I do feel bad for her and her family but bears are not larger dogs.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
A bear can break the neck of a moose, cow or whatever else it smacks...

Humans are pretty weak in our basic stance, even if the bear didn't mean to, they could knock you into next week by accident...

One time I was flying along the Southern Coast of Kodiak Island in a helo and there was a dead whale washed up on the beach. Two very large Brown Bears were up on it and fighting over it. We hovered about a quarter mile away and watched them. You could see them trade one slap after another and watch the fur ripple down their entire body from each blow, and yet they stood nose to nose trading blows. Any one of which would have taken a man's head off his shoulders. We had to leave and never got to see the outcome...bummers

Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,779,363 times
Voytek the bear was a good guy... remember Voytek? Someone posted this story here a while ago.
The hero bear who went to war (and loved a smoke and a beer) | Mail Online

Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM

LOL John o.k. I'll give Voytek a pass on the wild pet thing. He racked up major points on the good bear versus eat my master bear scale.
First off he was a hero bear (that gives him points), enjoyed a good beer (more points), a cigarette (points in the 1940's now not so much but I'll give on this) and he was kinda Polish too (major points). OH and he was a cutie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska