Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Oh, and watch out for DreamChaser08 if she and her hubby invite you over for a night of playing Phase 10 cards. We have yet to win. I think there is a fox in the hen house if you know what I mean..
Nope I checked...our hens are doing just fine...no fox here. I think Doug just needs some more practice. Who knows maybe Dawn will win tonight after all we're playing for points this time.
Will miss you, hope you're having fun snowmachining

Sorry this totally went off topic......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Sounds like Montana would be a better fit than Alaska.
That's not a bad idea. I loved Montana but at the time we were there 4 years ago there wasn't much in construction for us. Plenty of ranching though. I think there are 4 times more caows in MT then people

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
There's currently a plumbing job open at Elmendorf.
USAJOBS (http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=79786790&AVSDM=2009-03-07+09%3A37%3A57&Logo=0&lid=17162&FedEmp=N&sort=rv& vw=d&brd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y&SUBMIT1.x=94&SUBMIT1.y =11&SUBMIT1=Search+for+Jobs - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
FYI- THe State of Alaska currently has a hiring freeze in effect. Some positions are being filled on an emergency basis, but everything else is on hold.

To the OP- Everything that has been said here is right on. You will find a place to live, but probably not until you get here. People want to meet you and know who you are. I never had trouble finding a rental in Anchorage, but it is more pricey. Good luck to you and congrats on following your dream!

You're right Megan, I should have pointed that out, the SOA does currently have a hiring freeze. But...the hiring freeze does not apply to corrections officers...or any other position that involves life, fire, or safety...(such as firemen, state police, etc)

Bud

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM

322 posts, read 902,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post
My family and I are finally on our way!,we've sold our house,lived on a ranch,learning how to tend to animals[fresh cow milk was awesome],learned plowing,irrigation,everything one does on a ranch by hand,no machines.Anyhow we will arrive in Anc. on April 2nd.Can anyone offer any helpful advice,know of any cheap housing,Im looking for a trailer,also need car,hopefully van[We have 9 people in all],My husband and 2 oldest sons will need work.Can anyone give me any info that will help?I'm looking forward to getting there,we've dreamed of this a long time.thanks.
Macharuadan,

I don't know you're story and why you've picked Alaska to move to and what drew your heart to this place. If you truly love Alaska and want to live in Alaskan life, the only way to know is to follow your bliss and try. But I will say a few things from my perspective because I am a Texan who moved to Alaska and do NOT like living here. My family (hubby and me and 5 cats) are taking a risk and moving the other way - to Austin. I can tell you this - if I were going to be unemployed and destitute, I would MUCH rather do it in a warm, sunny climate than in a freezing place like this. Life here is HARD work. This place is not a paradise. If what you really want to do is just get away from the 48 contiguous United States and live a self sufficient life or get away from all your "problems" there, then take your savings and buy a plot of land in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates on the Big Island of Hawaii. At least then when you move with nothing, you can pitch a tent on your land and grow some food. It won't be as hot as Houston there either and you will be well outside of town.

After living here, I think the winters are such a limiting factor on the quality of life that no amount of money really makes it worth it to live here in my opinion. Yes, the people are fairly nice and not as materialistic as some places - but again, I bring up the Big Island of Hawaii if that is one of your objections to living in Houston. Also, farming is a skill that might get you a job on a sugar plantation or a coffee farm there. But, here the challenge of survival is exactly that - a challenge. If everyone ends up homeless in a temperate climate, it is not nearly so miserable. Of course, you're moving to Anchorage, the closest thing that Alaska has to a proper city, so much so that it's lovingly called Los Anchorage. But compared to Houston, I'm sure Anchorage seems like a small town. There are many smaller cities of comparable size between Texas and Anchorage. If it is winter you are looking for, I might suggest New Hampshire or Maine. They are not nearly so isolated and if you find you don't like it, it will be much easier to pack up and move again.

But yes, Alaska is the LAST place I would choose to do a cold move to with a family. That being said, I did move here from Boston and moved here for love and lived in a cheap motel in Fairbanks for the first year. But my hubby was already here with at least a job that could pay for the motel and more importantly, there was a social network in place in the form of his family. But I can say that the social network is the ONLY redeeming quality about this place, even though it is a wonderful social network. If I didn't have ANY social network here, I wouldn't even have a reason to get up in the morning in the winter. And yes, I did LIKE winter when I moved here. Remember, I moved here from Boston.

I see you've lived in Texas and Mexico. Have you even experienced a winter? I mean, lived through a whole one, not a 2 week trip somewhere on vacation. I KNOW that snow can seem exotic and beautiful and fascinating and the northern lights are beautiful. But that's why I think New Hampshire or Maine might be a better choice because you are not so "stuck" if you don't like it and they are not quite so dark, which is a huge demotivator. But, yes the winters here are hard work. If you were a single person, I'd say go for it anyway, because if you didn't like it, the worst you'd lose is money and life experience is worth so much more than money. Also, there are lots of people who moved to Alaska alone or just married and starting out and built a life for themselves. But you have children to support and feed.

I can understand hating where you live and wanting to relocate and yes, if you really hate Houston, for whatever reason, you SHOULD relocate. But I can tell you that from my perspective a big Texas city is PARADISE compared to Alaska. I've lived in both Fort Worth and Austin and I didn't know how good I had it growing up until I came here. But I value city things. I understand people who value rural lifestyles and want to get away from things, I just think there are far BETTER choices than Alaska, especially when bringing a family along. Anchorage is a medium sized city, but in an isolated place with a harsh climate. A lot of people say Anchorage isn't even "true Alaska" because it's so citified. Is that a stepping stone to get out further or where you want to settle? And what is it about Alaska that makes you want to live here and convinced you can't find it elsewhere? My other question is this: how did you fall in love with Alaska? You DID visit first, right? Because I would never do a cold move to a place I hadn't even visited.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:53 PM

140 posts, read 470,740 times
Listen to kittymama

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM

218 posts, read 518,280 times
Are you using any public assistance programs right now? Honestly I don't know how you're going to do it on your own. The math just doesn't work.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM

322 posts, read 902,697 times
One more thing to point out - yes, after you've lived here a FULL year, you and your family will be eligible for PFD's. That means if you move here in April 2009, you will get your first PFD payout in October 2011, if you stick out out for all of 2010. People like to think that the PFD means you get paid to live in Alaska. Since things like heating oil and groceries cost more here, the PFD does not make the higher COL worth it. Houston has a fairly low COL compared to Anchorage. You will pay taxes on PFD's. They will count against you when applying for public assistance benefits. It is not an easy financial solution to make Alaska a good place to raise a family.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Have you considered moving to Wasilla?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
Macharuadan,

I don't know you're story and why you've picked Alaska to move to and what drew your heart to this place. If you truly love Alaska and want to live in Alaskan life, the only way to know is to follow your bliss and try. But I will say a few things from my perspective because I am a Texan who moved to Alaska and do NOT like living here. My family (hubby and me and 5 cats) are taking a risk and moving the other way - to Austin. I can tell you this - if I were going to be unemployed and destitute, I would MUCH rather do it in a warm, sunny climate than in a freezing place like this. Life here is HARD work. This place is not a paradise. If what you really want to do is just get away from the 48 contiguous United States and live a self sufficient life or get away from all your "problems" there, then take your savings and buy a plot of land in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates on the Big Island of Hawaii. At least then when you move with nothing, you can pitch a tent on your land and grow some food. It won't be as hot as Houston there either and you will be well outside of town.

After living here, I think the winters are such a limiting factor on the quality of life that no amount of money really makes it worth it to live here in my opinion. Yes, the people are fairly nice and not as materialistic as some places - but again, I bring up the Big Island of Hawaii if that is one of your objections to living in Houston. Also, farming is a skill that might get you a job on a sugar plantation or a coffee farm there. But, here the challenge of survival is exactly that - a challenge. If everyone ends up homeless in a temperate climate, it is not nearly so miserable. Of course, you're moving to Anchorage, the closest thing that Alaska has to a proper city, so much so that it's lovingly called Los Anchorage. But compared to Houston, I'm sure Anchorage seems like a small town. There are many smaller cities of comparable size between Texas and Anchorage. If it is winter you are looking for, I might suggest New Hampshire or Maine. They are not nearly so isolated and if you find you don't like it, it will be much easier to pack up and move again.

But yes, Alaska is the LAST place I would choose to do a cold move to with a family. That being said, I did move here from Boston and moved here for love and lived in a cheap motel in Fairbanks for the first year. But my hubby was already here with at least a job that could pay for the motel and more importantly, there was a social network in place in the form of his family. But I can say that the social network is the ONLY redeeming quality about this place, even though it is a wonderful social network. If I didn't have ANY social network here, I wouldn't even have a reason to get up in the morning in the winter. And yes, I did LIKE winter when I moved here. Remember, I moved here from Boston.

I see you've lived in Texas and Mexico. Have you even experienced a winter? I mean, lived through a whole one, not a 2 week trip somewhere on vacation. I KNOW that snow can seem exotic and beautiful and fascinating and the northern lights are beautiful. But that's why I think New Hampshire or Maine might be a better choice because you are not so "stuck" if you don't like it and they are not quite so dark, which is a huge demotivator. But, yes the winters here are hard work. If you were a single person, I'd say go for it anyway, because if you didn't like it, the worst you'd lose is money and life experience is worth so much more than money. Also, there are lots of people who moved to Alaska alone or just married and starting out and built a life for themselves. But you have children to support and feed.

I can understand hating where you live and wanting to relocate and yes, if you really hate Houston, for whatever reason, you SHOULD relocate. But I can tell you that from my perspective a big Texas city is PARADISE compared to Alaska. I've lived in both Fort Worth and Austin and I didn't know how good I had it growing up until I came here. But I value city things. I understand people who value rural lifestyles and want to get away from things, I just think there are far BETTER choices than Alaska, especially when bringing a family along. Anchorage is a medium sized city, but in an isolated place with a harsh climate. A lot of people say Anchorage isn't even "true Alaska" because it's so citified. Is that a stepping stone to get out further or where you want to settle? And what is it about Alaska that makes you want to live here and convinced you can't find it elsewhere? My other question is this: how did you fall in love with Alaska? You DID visit first, right? Because I would never do a cold move to a place I hadn't even visited.
Excellent post Kittymama...great advice
Has everyone noticed that the OP post a question then never seems to return once given any answers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska