Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 PM

56 posts, read 184,477 times

Advertisements

Oh and INMT - Ya never know - I might be interested in a trade sometime - we'll see.
I do loves me a good trade.

Hope your relocation goes well - good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM

21 posts, read 264,727 times
We will be in touch. They offered to fly us up in April. Good Luck to you too!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:56 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
DoriKate,

You sound very smart about all of this, ya'll have good skills (esp hubby with his CDL and Hazmat) he should have no problem finding work. Keep doing lots of research. I'm not sure what it's like on the Kenai but here in Wasilla a lot of landlords rent to people with pets. We have 5 dogs and a cat and 6 horses...had no problem finding a little hobby farm for rent. I see on craigslist all the time people approving pets.
Microchipping the critters is always a great idea but not mandatory fro traveling thru Canada. You will need proof of rabies and a domestic health certificate within 10 days of your move (so make it your very last thing you do before leaving ND).
You'll do great, let us know how your adventures unfold.
Take Care

Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 AM

THanks Dreamchasers8 - we did find a few houses on craigslist that approve pets - yay! I would microchip just because its such a loooong trip and who knows what could happen, I'd hate to loose them!

Was a sad day for me yesterday - we did the math (I know why I hate math) and looks like it wouldn't be smart to go untill fall, when is the last safe to travel month? I wouldn't want to cut it too short, but we have some saving to do this summer (we actually just moved 5 months ago, but neither of us are entirely happy with our new gig, so we are still recouping from those costs as it was an expensive move.)

I am ready to just pack one truck with only the necessities and fill in the blanks (as for stuff) later, but now he wants to bring most everything so the tab just keeps getting bigger (2 trucks, 2 trailors, gas for both, new topper for the truck, blah blah blah) When it was a simple plan it was do-able this spring.

I will try to get him back to basics, but he is just as stubborn as I am so we'll see. Meanwhile - I'll be still poking around here keeping that Alaska bug fat and happy.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriKate View Post
THanks Dreamchasers8 - we did find a few houses on craigslist that approve pets - yay! I would microchip just because its such a loooong trip and who knows what could happen, I'd hate to loose them!

Was a sad day for me yesterday - we did the math (I know why I hate math) and looks like it wouldn't be smart to go untill fall, when is the last safe to travel month? I wouldn't want to cut it too short, but we have some saving to do this summer (we actually just moved 5 months ago, but neither of us are entirely happy with our new gig, so we are still recouping from those costs as it was an expensive move.)

I am ready to just pack one truck with only the necessities and fill in the blanks (as for stuff) later, but now he wants to bring most everything so the tab just keeps getting bigger (2 trucks, 2 trailors, gas for both, new topper for the truck, blah blah blah) When it was a simple plan it was do-able this spring.

I will try to get him back to basics, but he is just as stubborn as I am so we'll see. Meanwhile - I'll be still poking around here keeping that Alaska bug fat and happy.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement!
We sold everything....if it didn't fit in the RV or the van we pulled then it didn't go. Yes when we arrived we had next to nothing but that stuff doesn't take long to replace which we have (most of it anyway).

As far as coming up in the fall, I would say October would be the latest you might wat to push it, but you will be limited as to what you will find available by then. Spring and summer really is the best time. Also take into account that if you come up in the fall you are immediately going to have to have plenty of money put aside to cover heating fuel or try to find lots of wood for burning. It can be done but I think it will be much harder for you coming up later in the year.

It is do-able but the more you bring the harder it might make it for you and definitly more expensive.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:13 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,055 times
Ditto DreamChaser - We came up at the very end of October because we were also tying up loose ends and pushed our departure time to the limit! Let me just say the Alcan out of Haines, AK was a little hairy. (we took the ferry to Haines) Esp since that became our first "winter" driving for the year. We came from PA, so snow is no bother, but the roads up here can be a bit different!

This was going over the Chilkat Pass north of Haines. Not ALL the trip was like this, but you just need to plan appropriately.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Oy. We get roads like that quite a bit here....but I stay home when its like that!

I really get what you guys are saying about Fall, and I believe we will heed your advice, Dreamcatcher and akvarmit. It was a concern of ours as well, when we were weighing the pros and cons of this SPring vs.Sept., and Sept. Vs. next spring. (A LOT of pro-con lists, lots of debates and a couple tiffs!)

Ugh am I just annoying or what? Spring - No wait...Fall...eh spring, yea - spring!...no wait - NEXT spring! Whaa Whaa Whaa. Ohh I just want to get there ya know? I feel like I should already be there and I'm missing out Maybe I lived there in a past life

This whole Alaska idea really took us by surprise and came out of the clear blue (which I think the best things really do!).
Once we researched towns and jobs and got into it, we can't imagine anything else for ourselves, anything at all.

1 year to prepare, I'm glad we will be more comfortable next year - money saved, loose ends tied up, I'll get to stay for 2 fam reunions and my lil sis' wedding - so its not all bad. But still....it was a total tease !!

**also the older dog might not make it thru winter, her list of meds gets longer everyother month! And the pups will be dogs - so no landord can say "Puppies? You didn't say puppies - GET OUTTA HERE!!"

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,055 times
I hear ya Dori - once we got bit by the bug we became quite annoying as Alaska dominated our thoughts! We passed time by reading every Alaska book we could get our hands on.

I will say that our priorities changed once we got up here. "Stuff" that seemed so important to bring - well, lets just say we haven't unpacked a good bit. Then other things, I could slap myself for not bringing.

We started planning in January - started the job search in June - listed home for sale in July - LUCKILY sold it in August - planned to leave mid October, got here Oct 29th.

Just keep hanging out here on our board, there are great, knowledgeable folks here and it's led us to some neat friendships .
Dawn

Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 PM

119 posts, read 387,427 times
Check out Girdwood, it's a resort town (skiing) with large hotel, should be job for a massage therapist. He might need to be based out of Anchorage though, would be a bit of a commute, (at least 45 minutes) but oh, how beautiful! Of course there are plenty of spas in Anchorage, but that might be too urban for you. It's a pretty laid back town, you might be able to find someone who rents to folks with pets. Also consider Palmer. With your winter experience, you could handle Fairbanks, but it won't have the mountains.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Thanks AKNana! I'll put those on the google list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska