Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times

Advertisements

My dad has a old bolt action 22Mag WMR that he gave to my nephew to hunt seals out on the coast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM

345 posts, read 1,271,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
How would you hunters like the feel the pain of being killed for fun??? Your time will come.

ever been to the middle east?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 PM

149 posts, read 364,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
ROFL, squirrel would be about the only thing I'd want to hunt with a .22. I wonder how many .22 rounds you have to pump into a moose!?

No, .22 rounds are not good hunting rounds for anything other than rodents.
haha, on the movie into the wild he kills a moose with a .22.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM

345 posts, read 1,271,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
This is a forum on guns and hunting, not a forum for those who those who can't comprehend subsistance and won't concede that people have to eat to live and that in Alaska, we can't grow the crops that you can Outside. Living animals feed us everywhere in the world. From Florida to Connecticutt to Africa and Asia. Why do you single out Alaska and Alaskans?

You people eat chicken and fish and plants if you don't eat pork and fish. And if you do, then those animals also died to feed you. Hypocritical stances on hunting whilst partaking of animal flesh from domesticated farm animals are the same as protesting a nuclear power plant while living on the grid. And telling us how we should live is another form of repression. The same as censorship. The same as a born-again Christian telling Catholics or Jews or Muslims that we all wrong about our beliefs. It shows a mind that is closed to other ideas, without a willingness to listen. The kill is not the point of the hunt. It is the food on the table and in the freezer. It is a fact that the law does not allow us to indiscriminately kill animals on a hunt. And that the meat of the animal must be harvested for consumption. Those are laws. Not up for interpretation.

I would much rather have meat taken in a hunt that is natural with no preservatives and additives. No hormones. It is why wild salmon is better than farmed. It is what we as a people in Alaska firmly believe in. Even those of us who don't hunt believe in this and in the rights of hunters as delineated by the state.
colonel sanders kills 500 million chickens a day

Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM

122 posts, read 388,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
My dad has a old bolt action 22Mag WMR that he gave to my nephew to hunt seals out on the coast.
That looks like a CZ 452. AKA Brno.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtwThePipes View Post
What'd he do, cram it down its throat and choke it to death with it?
Well, in reality a moose can be killed with a pellet gun, although one should always use a powerful-enough cartridge to kill the animal efficiently to avoid suffering. A .22-caliber gun is not my idea of a "moose gun," as much as a pellet gun isn't.

Now, there was an older follow in Anchorage a few years ago, who got in big trouble for killing a moose with his BB gun. He was trying to scare the moose away by hitting it with BB's from his gun. But one of the pellets hit the moose on the soft flesh between the ribs over the lungs, puncturing one of the lungs. The moose bedded in the backyard, and died later.

A lot of people don't realize that newer pellet guns are a lot more powerful than similar guns produced in the past. I would never scare a moose out of my backyard even if it's eating the lettuces and cabbages in my garden. I just let them eat in peace, and build a fence around the garden if I want to keep them out. Then, during moose season, I get out there and legally kill a bull moose miles away from my backyard.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtwThePipes View Post
What'd he do, cram it down its throat and choke it to death with it?
The .22 is the preferred gun of poachers in Vermont, probably elsewhere too because it's quiet. Usually deer, but moose too...it's all about aim. Though I would never use one myself on big game, I prefer a quick, humane kill...

Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 PM

49 posts, read 107,874 times
My comment was intended as a joke...guess it wasn't a very good one...I'll try harder next time.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchman1957 View Post
Here in the lower 48 it is one of my most used rounds for everything from squirrel to coyote. Just curious. Thanks
Well legally, with any rim-fire in Alaska, you can only hunt small game. But I "Heard" that a wolf will drop like a bag of rocks from a .22 Mag round....

I have a couple of them, bit expensive for plunking now days, but very good on Ferrel dogs and such, "heard" that too....

Have killed a number of Ferrel beer bottles that were roaming the dump in years past, seems they get their fill on rain water and when hit, they just explode. Daughter can hit them constantly with iron sites at 100 yards, she can almost shoot as good as her dad....

Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
I would really like to know why anyone would advertise on a public website what they have, much more pics....if the SHTF....IP addresses and whatever personal info can be found...guess who knows what you have .....duh...I just don't get it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska