Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I know as little about hunting animals as I know about growing plants. So, if for whatever reason I had to provide my own food why not learn how to grow plants?
Try growing them and see why.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
None of your points are valid. My bets are that you never have actually seen a dog team on the run in person. What movie did you watch where they yelled "mush" into their ears?
Spell check is the least of his problems. He needs FACT check.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Try growing them and see why.
Well, without a reason I won't. In modern societies people specialize on professions, mine is translation, not agriculture. But obviously you have experience in agriculture, so tell us why you failed growing plants

Old 03-24-2009, 02:40 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
You need to watch the posted video of Palin by Neulin
I can't see the video from here due to the firewall. Are you really going to go on record and claim that it shows Palin saying the predator controll program IS "hunting" or "sport". Not some Commentator or Narrator, but Palin herself?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Well, without a reason I won't. In modern societies people specialize on professions, mine is translation, not agriculture. But obviously you have experience in agriculture, so tell us why you failed growing plants
Everyone should at least know how to survive on their own even if they never have to. Some of the greatest minds were of that opinion, such as Thomas Jefferson...when you live relying on the "system" you're entirely at the mercy of the economy and other people who do not have your interests at heart.

I haven't failed at growing vegetables, but you simply couldn't survive on that alone in a cold climate working hard (you need protein, especially when you work hard), not even counting crop failures caused by weather, etc., and in Northern areas, a very short growing season. For instance, last year here, the summer was so wet many vegetables failed. If I was a vegetarian and living off what I grew I would have starved to death. But I did also get a deer, and some beavers during trapping season...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Here is what Wiki says about Palin in this respect:

Predator control

See also: Governorship of Sarah Palin#Environment
In 2007, Palin supported a 2003 Alaska Department of Fish and Game policy allowing the hunting of wolves from the air as part of a predator control program intended to increase moose and caribou populations for subsistence-food gatherers and other hunters.[95][96] In March 2007, Palin's office announced that a bounty of $150 per wolf would be paid to the 180 volunteer pilots and gunners, to offset fuel costs, in five areas of Alaska. Six-hundred-and-seven wolves had been killed in the prior four years. State biologists wanted 382 to 664 wolves killed by the end of the predator-control season in April 2007. Wildlife activists sued the state, and a state judge declared the bounty illegal on the basis that a bounty would have to be offered by the Board of Game and not by the Department of Fish and Game.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
And on the subject of these dogs, I am very irritated by the stupidity of some military families up here. I live on one of the bases, and it is ridiculous how many huskies/malamutes you see being given away on our local for-sale board, saying "can't give him the attention he needs", or "too energetic".

People move here with the romantic idea that they're in Alaska, so they want these Alaska dogs... then stick them in a townhouse with a tiny fenced in backyard. These are running dogs, people! They need space and a ton of exercise! They are miserable in your itty bitty backyard.

I think the bases should do more to inform people. Because obviously they aren't going to do the research.
Exactly. And every spring the shelter in Fairbanks fills up with sled dogs that people are getting rid of.

These dogs do love to run...

there are plenty of bad mushers in AK; I used to live fairly close to two of them.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,700,941 times
So what does Gov Palin have to do with the Idiatrod and the dogs

Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Here is what Wiki says about Palin in this respect:

Predator control

See also: Governorship of Sarah Palin#Environment
In 2007, Palin supported a 2003 Alaska Department of Fish and Game policy allowing the hunting of wolves from the air as part of a predator control program intended to increase moose and caribou populations for subsistence-food gatherers and other hunters.[95][96] In March 2007, Palin's office announced that a bounty of $150 per wolf would be paid to the 180 volunteer pilots and gunners, to offset fuel costs, in five areas of Alaska. Six-hundred-and-seven wolves had been killed in the prior four years. State biologists wanted 382 to 664 wolves killed by the end of the predator-control season in April 2007. Wildlife activists sued the state, and a state judge declared the bounty illegal on the basis that a bounty would have to be offered by the Board of Game and not by the Department of Fish and Game.
The predator control program pre-dates Palin's governorship by many years, and is entirely about population control where wolves are overpopulated, not sport hunting at all. It's only done where necessary and the actual number taken is not that high. It has saved a caribou herd from being entirely wiped out by overpopulated wolves. Most of Alaska has no road access so going in by air is the only practical transportation option, which as a plus also enables the wolves to be found easier.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
Ummm... 3 month growing season? 7 month winters? Temperature minimums for seedlings? Snow in May? Snow in September? Admittedly, the last 2 don't happen every year, but often enough to not be discounted in the grand scheme of things agricultural. Snow has also happened in every other month of the year, but seldom enough to disregard at this time. Rain and snow tonight, snow tomorrow for the local forecast here. And we live in Alaska's so-called "Banana Belt". But I'm sure that snow never happens anywhere else and trips up other people's dreams of a veggie garden. Nor drought, nor floods, tornados, hurricanes, mudslides or other acts of God.

Nope, we are the only ones living at nature's whim. Because we "picked" Alaska. Warpt, shame on you and your thousand generations of ancestors. They should have moved to Miami Beach before the Cubans took over. That or ripped off the Dutch for $24 of beads for that little island they call Manhattan. Are you blushing yet, buddy. This is all your fault. We can't have a reason for being in Alaska, and neither can you. Nope. And those dogs your ancestors trained, well, shame on them for making those poor animals work that hard. You should have loved them and fed them and never let them out of those igloos I keep hearing about. Darn you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska