Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times

Advertisements

Taking a bit of reading to get up on the day eh Barkley, took me some time also.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Perhaps its because there are no domesticated moose, squirrels, popcupines, beavers, bears or wild birds that are used to living in houses ? However......let a few of those moose, squirrels, porcupines, beavers and bears in one winter and give them some attention, a hot meal and a nice warm fireplace to lay in front of and then see which they prefer......blizzard or hot meal and warm fireplace ??? These sled dogs are domesticated animals and depend upon us for their safety and survival. Your point above is absurd.
But not as downright nuts as your post above is.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,849 times
Default Weather changes are drastic and sometimes unpredictable

However,

It is still our human responsibility to plan for these extremes. The animals have no ability to manage the plans. These canines would not have been out there had their human not been directing it.

In sports where animals are utilized, risks to animal(s) must take the lead in all decisions.

This individual did not need to be in that zone during that time frame.

I am sure he feels a sense of loss but so does the ignorant puppy owner who loses a puppy of parvo. The ignorance is just different for different situations.

When one is using animals in the pursuit of sport/fun or in the day-to-day work place, one has to be even more careful to preserve health and life.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadavis3 View Post
This individual did not need to be in that zone during that time frame.

When one is using animals in the pursuit of sport/fun or in the day-to-day work place, one has to be even more careful to preserve health and life.
The weather can not be truly predicted in any given time frame.
What about those that have lost cattle due to a tornado, should this person have known a tornado would hit his/her ranch? No. The conditions may be there, but you can not know for sure.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 62,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4grl View Post
In the end it is all about the money! The dogs pay the price! I am against anyone making money off any animal! The animal always suffers the doomed outcome with their life!
First do you know what types of "money" is made in this sport? These guys aren't professional baseball, basketball, football, <insert arrogant overpaid professional sport here> players. The cost of running a kennel for the year is estimated at $50,000 and the entry fee plus food, equipment, etc for the Iditarod is around $10,000. The winner gets under $70k in prize money and a new truck...that's the winner. So you can figure that after taxes the winner will do just better than break even. That being the case it is probably a pretty safe bet that everyone else is eating the difference. (everyone that finishes gets at least a whopping $1,049 in prize money)

Let's talk about sponsorships. A lot of the bigger name racers have sponsorships. These sponsors help pay some of the bills for the kennel and equipment for the most part. (trucks to haul the dogs and equipment, sleds, dog food, vet care, medical benefits, etc) Not sure how many get these perks, but I doubt that it's the majority. Sponsors will likely give money to teams that will get press and therefore provide positive PR for their products. Also, a lot of the sponsors are small local companies that are friends and who will benefit the most from name recognition. Let's face it not a lot of places around the world watching the Iditarod, say compared to the superbowl.

I've been lucky enough to visit the homes of two of the larger musher's in the sport and they are normal single family houses. (aside from the noise!) They are very nice, but let's just say I'd be surprised to see them on MTV's Cribs anytime in the near future. I belive a lot of the spouses of the racers have regular jobs so the family can live comfortably. From what I could tell a lot of the lessor known racers held down 9-5 jobs themselves in the off seasons as well. Martin Buser's wife is a school teacher, and he is one of the more well know racers who has won the Iditarod on multiple occasions. I believe the kennels also try to make profit to subsidize their costs too. Breeding dogs, giving tours during tourist season, etc. Most of these guys and gals have families they are supporting so imagine doing that with no 9-5 income and having an extra 50-100k in expenses. How much would you need to win to just break even?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the musher's are in it for the money, if anything they'd be smart to get out because of the money. Most of us have hobbies/passions that we dump large amounts of money into, little of which we ever recover. These musher's spend much of their lives taking part in this sport because they love it, not to get rich.

Oh and to say the animal always pays with their lives is just a ignorant statement. You need to learn not to use absolutes like "always" and "never" when you debate a topic, you'll ALWAYS leave yourself open to attack. (ironic I know) There were hundreds of dogs in this years race alone and there were six deaths. That is a shame I'll give you that, but there are still hundreds of dogs sleeping in their cozy kennels this evening having doggie dreams about the adventure they just completed.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Taking a bit of reading to get up on the day eh Barkley, took me some time also.
There were a lot of good posts in the thread & even some great ones. I repped everyone I could, but I feel like I should be buying Mal dinner at Club Paris. And I'd also previously repped you before I got to the dog on the tracks post.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM

67 posts, read 229,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
The weather can not be truly predicted in any given time frame.
What about those that have lost cattle due to a tornado, should this person have known a tornado would hit his/her ranch? No. The conditions may be there, but you can not know for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
so the guy almost froze to death, as well... but he was prepared with the proper gear to protect himself.

It seems to me like these extreme temperatures are a known risk, so why wasn't the musher carrying gear that could protect the dogs, as well? Insulation from the snow is only going to keep you so warm in -45 degrees.

At the very least, some sort of new regulations should come out of this- requirements to have weather gear for the dogs.
Just thought I'd repost one of my earlier posts. Ignorance is not an excuse. A rancher may not know when a tornado is going to hit- but he has an emergency plan. A musher may not know when extreme weather is going to hit, so he should have emergency gear for his dogs.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
But not as downright nuts as your post above is.
Really ? Your aware of moose, beavers, porcupines, bears, etc all trying to break into homes for heat in the winter ?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM

823 posts, read 1,732,993 times
Quote:
Just thought I'd repost one of my earlier posts. Ignorance is not an excuse. A rancher may not know when a tornado is going to hit- but he has an emergency plan. A musher may not know when extreme weather is going to hit, so he should have emergency gear for his dogs.
OMG.............I've had it....How friggin ignorant can you all be.........I'm going to bed.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Quote:
It is past time you stop sniffing the proverbial glue. I've been on these ranches when an unexpected tornado has hit. Emergency plan?! Daft, daft. Tell me, if you will, just what the hell emergency plan a rancher is to have in place for a few head of his cattle neatly wrapped in barbed wire fencing or baling wire? What, oh please pray tell, what is his fecking plan for 40 or 50 chickens hopping about - still alive - but without a single feather on their bodies?
Emergency plan. Well...thank you for the giggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska