Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times

Advertisements

Housing is non-existant in the ND oilfields and the employers have been cutting back on hiring people with no experience. I like to read the ND forum, interesting to see what has been going on. But it is true that many people have left ND or are planning to wait for spring so they can sleep in their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
It doesn't cost us any more to fly to Sweden than it does to fly from AK to the east coast. I use a local well known travel agent that shops for deal etc well in advance. Once in Europe, you can travel by rail for pretty cheap to many different countries. The rail system ties them all together. You can get a 10 day EuroPass which allows you to get off and on in many different places and countries as you wish, traveling for 10 days at a set price. Renting a car is pretty darn expensive at least here in Sweden.
I've never been one for the big cities, but Stockholm Sweden and Oslo Norway are very interesting to see. Each has central gardens and the one in Oslo leads right up to the kings castle, on higher ground that allows you to overlook the city. Stockholm is built on 14 islands with castles, stone bridges, museums, restraunts, window shopping, historical buildings, ships, man it is never ending the stuff to see.
My family generated from both Norway and Sweden, and a couple summers ago I got to meet the relatives in Sweden. They still live on the family farm where the two brothers that immigrated to the US grew up back in the 1800's. The wife's father is a historian and he took her all over the country into every nook and cranny so she is quite knowed up on the history of many places and things here. My visits here have been very educational as well as eye opening to how others live day to day in other countries.
Visiting the other half of the globe is very obtainable. Plan ahead, save a little money, and bring a camera. Warpt was able to make a visit a couple years ago to Europe as well. I think through some schooling he took. It can be done if one sets their mind to it.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times
Wow this is page 1000.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It doesn't cost us any more to fly to Sweden than it does to fly from AK to the east coast. I use a local well known travel agent that shops for deal etc well in advance. Once in Europe, you can travel by rail for pretty cheap to many different countries. The rail system ties them all together. You can get a 10 day EuroPass which allows you to get off and on in many different places and countries as you wish, traveling for 10 days at a set price. Renting a car is pretty darn expensive at least here in Sweden.
Visiting the other half of the globe is very obtainable. Plan ahead, save a little money, and bring a camera. Warpt was able to make a visit a couple years ago to Europe as well. I think through some schooling he took. It can be done if one sets their mind to it.
I did a three week backpack class through the college in 2008, they do them every two years. The Rail pass is what we did, well worth the money. It is a lot cheaper than one thinks to fly there. You can fly from Anchorage to Frankfurt for a little over a grand round trip. From there get a rail pass and you can go anywhere!

If you love to travel, go see the old world!

We got ours through Rick Steves.

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/

It was a three week trip out of a travel backpack and and smaller Northface pack. Travel light!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Frostnip, if you'd care to share, on here or in a PM if you'd like, I'd love to hear some of the ways and means you have used to enable you to travel so much. I think it would be really neat to get some sort of work program over in Scotland, where I could live there and earn my keep and have a bit of spending money to explore the countryside (which would necessitate having a car, at least for the kind of exploration I'm talking about). One thing that I would also like to do is brush back up on my French, get fluent again, and go to France for awhile, and work in the countryside. Working at a vineyard would be particularly cool.

But yeah, I'd be interested to hear about it, if you care to extrapolate.
Sure, drop me a PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 AM

Playing with the Mrs macro lens this morning. Didn't have a tripod which would help, or off camera lighting. But the lens is cool. A whole new world in photography.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Thanks for the words of advice, guys, and will drop a PM to Frostnip.

Rance, that's a really cool lens. I can't shoot true macro shots like those with my new camera yet due to lack of appropriate lenses for those kinds of shots, but even with the kit lens that came with it I can shoot some awesome close up shots of things like flowers. I took a few of this orchid over at my friend's house that came out great, and an old wilted rose. These DSLR's are sweeeet!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,458,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Playing with the Mrs macro lens this morning. Didn't have a tripod which would help, or off camera lighting. But the lens is cool. A whole new world in photography....
Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing it Can I take yours pics to show it to my friends?

Last edited by Лютый; 12-30-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Rance.. thank you for sharing the Swedish traditions.. so very interesting and Ship... don't ever let anyone discourage you to dream and talk about things you want.. you are still so very young and have so many years to follow many of those.. with help from those who care here in CD.. you know you can rely on the advise because many have "been there, done that".. keep an open mind and a strong hold on the pocket book and many of those dreams will definitely come true. I too dream of many places I would love to visit... Ireland for one... Italy another... with your dreams you create adventure!...

Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing it Can I take yours pics to show it to my friends?
Of course you can! Make sure you tell them it was my first attempt and with no tripod or off camera flash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska