Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 05:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,061,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
you have to go to other CD forums besides the Alaska one my friend!!! Rance went onto the CD forum of Sweden!! try it!!
I leave our confines, sometimes... but those other people scare me :P I am going to go into the LA subforum, and get mugged or something. :P Being in the Alaska forum is safe when Rance is here

Only 15 more pages until page 500, should we do something cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM

216 posts, read 364,425 times
WOW - love that ship - super nice photo's - any close up's of it's details
Glad it all went well for you both

Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
How long were you in the air altogether Rance?
It's about 9 hours from Stockholm to Chicago, 4 1/2 from there to Portland due to head wind, then 3 1/2 from Portland to Anchorage. We actually landed in Anch 20 minutes early! Usually runs about 17 hours in the air, and with the time between flights runs about 22 hours of travel. Tack on the 2 1/2 hours drive from Anch to the house...makes for a long day!

I've got 20 or more pictures from all angles. There are upper observation decks so you can look down on the upper deck, you can get right down at floor level and see the hull up close, the mid observation deck puts you within 6 feet of the hull and cannon ports, there is one long boat also recovered, and they have 3 of the I can't remember how many original cannons, the anchors, and lot's and lot's of items recovered inside, like cooking utensils, pottery, clothing, tools, weapons, skeletons, and one gold ring. On it's maiden voyage the sailers were allowed to bring their families and friends. So the top deck was loaded with about 300 people. When it hit bottom the three masts were sticking out of the water. Nearly everyone was on the top deck so most clung to the upper masts and were rescued. The odd thing...to steer the vessle was done from a lower deck inside, and directions had to be verbally transferred to the one guy working a huge lever inside. He was one of the few that died. He tried in vain to steer into the list, but with 2 gun decks, top deck loaded with people, and far to little stone ballast in the bottom, she listed to one side, the water rushed in the open gun ports, and she sank within a couple minutes when a gust of wind caught the sails and leaned her over. Sad story. They say if it had been 3 meters wider, she'd have been ok. Sweden built another of these ships but made it wider. It sailed flawlessly for years until they purposly sank it. They were at war with Poland at the time, and the Vasa was to deliver about 300 soldiers to Poland. In the end...they blamed the master ship builder for a poor design. He had recently died...so no one was charged for any crime etc. Swede's can be so cool!

I'm fighting napping on the couch. Need to stay up as long as possible so I can revert back to AK time! Need to make a town run for tea containers and sit down to some fine spicey tuna sushi. Tempted to hit the Kenai Beach for some sunset pic's behind Redoubt.

Last edited by Rance; 01-13-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Okay Rance...dumb question, but as you are going to imbibe in tuna sushi, when seeing tuna cooked on food shows it is always rare or med rare in the middle the way it seems if done right, what does raw tuna taste like, being I have only had from a can...

Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Fishy...

Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It's about 9 hours from Stockholm to Chicago, 4 1/2 from there to Portland due to head wind, then 3 1/2 from Portland to Anchorage. We actually landed in Anch 20 minutes early! Usually runs about 17 hours in the air, and with the time between flights runs about 22 hours of travel. Tack on the 2 1/2 hours drive from Anch to the house...makes for a long day!

I'm fighting napping on the couch. Need to stay up as long as possible so I can revert back to AK time! Need to make a town run for tea containers and sit down to some fine spicey tuna sushi. Tempted to hit the Kenai Beach for some sunset pic's behind Redoubt.
yes pictures of sunset at Kenai Beach that'll keep you awake also!! hehehe!! would like to see more pic's of that old ship if you got any

Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Fishy...
Are you being a smart arse or for real? I have issues with fish not cooked right, but always see tuna done partially cooked... I could not eat sushi by choice, but want to try ceviche...

Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Are you being a smart arse or for real? I have issues with fish not cooked right, but always see tuna done partially cooked... I could not eat sushi by choice, but want to try ceviche...
good quality, fresh sushi should not have a real "fishy" taste! should be very mild....ceviche is wonderful!! Takes making ceviche a couple times to get the right amount of lime juice so it isn't overpowering.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
good quality, fresh sushi should not have a real "fishy" taste! should be very mild....ceviche is wonderful!! Takes making ceviche a couple times to get the right amount of lime juice so it isn't overpowering.
Okay Blue, have you had like tuna fillets grilled or seared so cooked on the outside and not the inside...I have no problem with a bloody steak, but the fish....Is it good? I don't want to waste money on something that is not nice....

Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I've never had any that had a fishy flavor. It's really tastless. Any decent sushi place uses nothing but fresh seafood. And with the spicey stuff mixed in thats about all you can taste. A dab of wasabi, a drop of soy sauce and bam...sinus clearing taste bud orgasming goodness!

For you Anchorage folks...I highly recommend Tempura Kitchen on Spenard. I was there last week and had terriyaki beef with tempura prawns and veggies, along with an order of spicey tuna. Some damn fine cuisine I'm here to tell ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska