Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

1500? Maybe I should sell mine! Sweden and I are heading to Alyeska for 3 days and nights of fun in the sun skiing. We might even swing into Hope on the way up (if I can get her to hurry the hell up and get ready to go!)

Be prepared for some photo's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM

110 posts, read 376,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I went with a friend to hear Hobo Jim playing his guitar and singing at a local pub last night in Homer. Wow! He is fantastic and so fun to watch his interactions with audience. I came home last night feeling like a "real Alaskan" if only for one night. Pretty cool!
I was racking my brain trying to think where I've heard about Hobo Jim. Then I remembered Peter Jenkins' book. Googled it and sure enough, he was featured in his book, "Lookin' for Alaska". I read it about this time last winter. For some reason, I just love reading books set in Alaska when it's dead of winter and "cold" and "snowy" here.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Last edited by bethmarywhite; 02-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Looking for the lightbulb thingy

Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Rance have you noticed that the Bigma is now $1500?
whew...you had me scared...checked around an I can still get one for under $1000! yayyyy!! now just gotta save save save...
Amazon.com: Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
1500? Maybe I should sell mine! Sweden and I are heading to Alyeska for 3 days and nights of fun in the sun skiing. We might even swing into Hope on the way up (if I can get her to hurry the hell up and get ready to go!)

Be prepared for some photo's...
I really like the little town of Hope. Great camping in the area also.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Beth he also has a few CDs out.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Somebody took too long getting ready...so we blew right on by Hope. But man some nice scenery driving to Girdwood. Time for dinner.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Beth he also has a few CDs out.
Hobo Jim has a new CD that is supposed to be coming out. It was so fun watching the way he interacted with the audience and how the audience reacted to him. His guitar playing was amazing to watch, the way he put his whole body into his music.

I have always been envious of musicians, singers and songwriters. If I could have that little magic genie appear to offer free wishes, my first would be to have the ability to make music. Alas, though I come from a musical family not one shred of one iota of talent or ability showed itself in me no matter how hard I wanted it.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Somebody took too long getting ready...so we blew right on by Hope. But man some nice scenery driving to Girdwood. Time for dinner.
so? so? no photo's??? ahhh Sweden..your in trouble now with us forum members.....hahaha

Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Hobo Jim has a new CD that is supposed to be coming out. It was so fun watching the way he interacted with the audience and how the audience reacted to him. His guitar playing was amazing to watch, the way he put his whole body into his music.

I have always been envious of musicians, singers and songwriters. If I could have that little magic genie appear to offer free wishes, my first would be to have the ability to make music. Alas, though I come from a musical family not one shred of one iota of talent or ability showed itself in me no matter how hard I wanted it.
A new CD? Very cool! I'll be on the lookout for it. Have you tried drumming? Get a few friends together around a fire & try some simple rhythms.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,047 times
Nah no drumming for this girl, but I sure do have happy feet when it comes to toe tapping and dancing! What I lack in skill I make up for in enthusiasm. I have a theory...northerners like dancing so much around campfires because it helps keep our backsides warmer but mostly because there isn't any other way to express such joy! That is my theory and I am sticking to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska