Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times

Advertisements

thanks. yeah, job is as secure as they come. i havent decided between jobs in Anchorage or Fairbanks (the main places that i would likely get easiest transfer).
i am NOT a city person, so if i worked in Anchorage i certainly couldnt live there..however Anchorage is one of the FEW if not only cities where i didnt have a panic attack driving through. never been to Fairbanks, and of course the bitter cold aint very appealing but it is still Alaska, and i would miss seeing mountain ranges (from what i hear, its flat and its quite a drive to see any mountains)....i just dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Well... I would start by thinking of the place you would like to start living... get an idea of the cost of rent or purchase. Then ask someone what their fuel bill is in the winter (fuel seems to be the big expense), what your drive would be to work and gas mileage on the vehicle. Just a good start. I've seen some posts that fuel is $600 a month. Renting close to work a good start too if you don't mind living in a city atmosphere.

A job is the big key.. I wish I had that advantage knowing what my income will be there. Come armed with a cushion of money just in case but it sounds like your job is pretty secure. I would go for it in a heart beat in your shoes... no time like the present.. if you don't you'll kick yourself with those great boots of yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
thanks. yeah, job is as secure as they come. i havent decided between jobs in Anchorage or Fairbanks (the main places that i would likely get easiest transfer).
i am NOT a city person, so if i worked in Anchorage i certainly couldnt live there..however Anchorage is one of the FEW if not only cities where i didnt have a panic attack driving through. never been to Fairbanks, and of course the bitter cold aint very appealing but it is still Alaska, and i would miss seeing mountain ranges (from what i hear, its flat and its quite a drive to see any mountains)....i just dont know.
Oh yes... I'm facing the same thing.. most jobs that pay well are in Anchorage.. Eagle River is not that far of a drive and many places close to there. I'm hoping to get a job in the Kenai Peninsula area.. the pay isn't as good but thinking of pulling a trailer up with me so I can move easier if needed. I have a feeling I am going to be exploring for quite awhile myself. Your job will be fixed pretty much but you can do your exploring on your days off.

I'm excited to visit Fairbanks / not sure of year round but I do love the mountains myself and the visit to Juneau was breath taking.. a bit hard to get off the island but if you have a plane or friend with a boat.. should be a piece of cake for you... a lot of rain but the rain forest hiking was something I've never experienced before and can't wait to try that again someday... so many unknowns but hey that is what makes it a great adventure right?? good thoughts and plans to you Notam...

Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Happiness is blueberry soup on a cold winter day.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
why don't ya fill me in on the road up at Anaktuvuk?
Public Input Wanted for Road to Umiat | alaskapublic.org

Old 11-12-2011, 02:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Thanks Moose. Rep for ya. I wonder if that's the same road they're talking about on Flying Wild though. They said the drill was used to test if the ground could support a road, and that this drill would improve their quality of life. Sounds like a different thing than caribou migrations and opposition to the road. On the topic of that Umiat road though, that's something I've really never heard much about, other than hearing of the plan awhile back, so I'm gonna read up on that. Thanks for the link.

But then again, it's a reality show, so who knows. The narration often twists things around, making them sound different than they are.

Also, someone left me a rep on a post today, and they said, "Here's five rep points from so and so." How do you know how many rep points you're giving someone?

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 11-12-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,563 times
Quote:
Thanks Moose. Rep for ya. I wonder if that's the same road they're talking about on Flying Wild though. They said the drill was used to test if the ground could support a road, and that this drill would improve their quality of life. Sounds like a different thing than caribou migrations and opposition to the road. On the topic of that Umiat road though, that's something I've really never heard much about, other than hearing of the plan awhile back, so I'm gonna read up on that. Thanks for the link.

But then again, it's a reality show, so who knows. The narration often twists things around, making them sound different than they are.

Also, someone left me a rep on a post today, and they said, "Here's five rep points from so and so." How do you know how many rep points you're giving someone?
A quick rep (without a comment) is worth less than a rep with a comment. The scale symbol in the upper right is what you click on to rep plus leave a comment and it's worth 5 points. At least I think that's how it works.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Oh, ok. Well I always leave five points then. Cool. Just left five for you, matter of fact.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
It only allowed me to present you with 3

Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 AM

Man, they've got this sniper show on TV right now, and they're showing the thing about that guy that was hiding out up near Manley Hot Springs. Fascinating stuff.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,563 times
Quote:
Man, they've got this sniper show on TV right now, and they're showing the thing about that guy that was hiding out up near Manley Hot Springs. Fascinating stuff.
Here's an excellent first hand write-up on that incident.

Tactical-Life.com » Michael Alan Silka and the Firefight at Manley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska