U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 15,000,426 times
Reputation: 10319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
people really need to have a lot of money saved up & have a good job before going up there.
Money saved is getting harder and harder today anywhere with prices on everything going up, especially with the economy, stock market and retirement funds, etc., literally taking a dump.

Good job...what constitutes that in Alaska today? There are job freezes all over the country, oil and gas companies are laying off workers here... I would question if moving here now and wanting to stay, what is job security and a good job. I would hate to go through a major life-changing event (such as that big of a move) to find out in six months or a year that my 'good' job no longer exists and have to contemplate that same move over again....Or on the flip side, my job exists, others do not, people are moving, prices are still going up, viable services are declining, schools are closing, etc., what decisions do I make?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
6,992 posts, read 11,063,072 times
Reputation: 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Personally I'm not as concerned about the inevitable downturn in tourism as I am about the real jobs for the real people of the state. Seasonal workers our going to find it more difficult to find a seasonal job, but they're people with other resources anyway for the most part.

I'm glad the ships never came to POW--well, we did have one a few years ago, a small one, and it was pretty cool because part of their itinerary was to see the Haida dancing. That sort of culturally based tourism is the kind the state really needs and not the floating food bins that despoil the Inside Passage and the port cities.

I've been saying for a long time that the false economy created by carpetbaggers in SE is going to come to an end one day and we just might be able to see the end of that second gold rush from here this year.
towns need to look at and converse with towns in every state that are self supporting...another words free from accepting money from the state or federal gov. they do exist, using their taxes to build their own schools, fire dept., town offices etc and owe nothing on borrowed money. A town can turn around and become self sufficient with the proper structure and protect their open land space. It will take a bit of work and pitching for the selectboards to help out another town but I am sure if they are proud of their accomplishments in these areas they will share their strategies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 PM
 
946 posts, read 2,330,775 times
Reputation: 483
Anchorage Daily News reported today a forecast for 25% fewer cruiseships. There are a lot of businesses from Anchorage north that will be hurt bad if this is accurate. The number of tourists who arrive on cruise ships and then take buses (as part of the cruise) to points north, such as Talkeetna and Mckinley, support a lot of local businesses, like the ubiquitous gift shops, river boat tours, etc. As well, our dividend is predicted to go to @380 next year and down to 68 in three years. Most estimates have the dividend at around 8% of Alaska's economy. We've been lucky so far, but this is mainly because it takes longer for events to take effect up here. I predict we're in for some rough sledding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 14,318,713 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Money saved is getting harder and harder today anywhere with prices on everything going up, especially with the economy, stock market and retirement funds, etc., literally taking a dump.

Good job...what constitutes that in Alaska today? There are job freezes all over the country, oil and gas companies are laying off workers here... I would question if moving here now and wanting to stay, what is job security and a good job. I would hate to go through a major life-changing event (such as that big of a move) to find out in six months or a year that my 'good' job no longer exists and have to contemplate that same move over again....Or on the flip side, my job exists, others do not, people are moving, prices are still going up, viable services are declining, schools are closing, etc., what decisions do I make?
You got that right! I literally have no money left over from my paycheck to put in the bank, none. Living paycheck to paycheck is seriously a sucky thing. By good job I mean one that yes, is stable but also pays enough that you can pay your rent, bills, food, gas & still have enough left over to actually have a social life & save up for a trip. At least, that's what it means for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 4,362,413 times
Reputation: 2284
Default Funny you should mention this

My friends and I were discussing this topic just the other day. We came to the conclusion that Alaska should be one of the more sheltered places during a recession due to the monopoly on goods/services/specialties. No matter how bad the economy is something like a plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc... will always be needed regardless. Then again there are only so many of those jobs available to begin with.

I cant speak for anyone else but when I moved to Bethel back in 05 I was in debt and literally had 100 bucks to my name. A few months later I was so far ahead it wasnt even funny. I would never plan on moving somewhere without having a good job (or two) already setup ahead of time. Its all about planning. Granted you cant plan something like a job loss, but you can choose to be unemployed somewhere nice where you can sleep outside like Longbeach, California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 14,318,713 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
My friends and I were discussing this topic just the other day. We came to the conclusion that Alaska should be one of the more sheltered places during a recession due to the monopoly on goods/services/specialties. No matter how bad the economy is something like a plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc... will always be needed regardless. Then again there are only so many of those jobs available to begin with.

I cant speak for anyone else but when I moved to Bethel back in 05 I was in debt and literally had 100 bucks to my name. A few months later I was so far ahead it wasnt even funny. I would never plan on moving somewhere without having a good job (or two) already setup ahead of time. Its all about planning. Granted you cant plan something like a job loss, but you can choose to be unemployed somewhere nice where you can sleep outside like Longbeach, California.
I've actually been to Long Beach, 3 times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 15,000,426 times
Reputation: 10319
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
towns need to look at and converse with towns in every state that are self supporting...another words free from accepting money from the state or federal gov. they do exist, using their taxes to build their own schools, fire dept., town offices etc and owe nothing on borrowed money. A town can turn around and become self sufficient with the proper structure and protect their open land space. It will take a bit of work and pitching for the selectboards to help out another town but I am sure if they are proud of their accomplishments in these areas they will share their strategies.
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in the near future anywhere. Taxes are high now and I doubt people want them to be raised any more, especially now. States, towns, etc., have gotten federal and state money for a long time even if just for road maintenance and schools alone. Alaska, especially outer Alaskan schools are so run down, they have to have aid in bringing up to usable standards, or there would be no schools in those areas. I am surprised,at least where we are, how well the roads are maintained here, but that may be because of our close proximity to the Sterling Hwy and the fact it is one of the two main roads on the peninsula.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-27-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Homer Ak.
243 posts, read 433,187 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Moving to Alaska is a whole different animal than most relocations because of the distance. Big questions are cost of living, housing, jobs, schools...

With the general state of the economy (federal and state), loss of jobs, homes, etc., people not only want to move to Alaska, but are also going to be leaving for the same reasons, leaving Alaska losing local tax bases, funding, etc. Anchorage, the largest city, is already trying to figure how to cut back or combine services in order to keep the city budget in check. Oil and gas are Alaska's big industry, along with tourism. Oil companies are cutting back. Tourism with the -48 economy, what does that do in terms of traveling to Alaska, so more businesses may go under...

When smaller areas lose that tax base, what is going to happen to local services such as libraries, clinics, hospitals?

Any thoughts?
Well i cant speak to the troubles in your state but i can tell you about trying to get there.
What in January was looking like it would be an easy goal to get the money together to make the move is still doable but in a more difficult way. My wifes job enables her to tele-commute no matter where she chooses to live. In fact she works out of a company about 10 minutes from home that is being consolidated into the larger company and moving 60 miles away so they were going to set her up to work from home anyways rather then see her leave due to 2 hours a day of LA traffic each way.
Her salary covers all our expenses here if we live frugal so Alaska with her salary shouldnt be a problem considering housing will be less then half. My construction business is whats getting the money for the move together and about 60% of my customers are either cities or counties and that business all stopped cold in January. Luckily other jobs are coming in and we now have all our debts gone and the downpayment saved but scratching the moving costs is looking tough!
Driving around SoCal doing cold call sales to drum up work(which i despise doing) I can easily say 1/4 of all the commercial buildings are vacant or skeleton staffed. It is very scary looking out there! With Cali. bumping up sales and every other tax they can think costing each family about $1100 additional taxes a year i dont see it getting better soon. I know of one MAJOR company opening a Mexico plant and laying off here. My wifes company that employess over 1200 people is cutting jobs and shifting work to their Arizona branch. Before you ask the highest paid guy at her company makes 185k/yr. Hardly a fat cat considering average housing costs in LA is still over 350k.

Sorry i got so long.. guess the point is we are looking to hide in Alaska.. wish us luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Alaska and Texas
202 posts, read 765,359 times
Reputation: 138
Default Alaska faring pretty well

The State has yet to bear the full brunt of the recession. We are still flush from our PFD/$1200 combo checks. Foreclosures and housing prices are not a problem.
The unemployment rate would be lower except for that there are more jobseekers coming up this year. Towns that are heavily dependent on tourism will feel the pain this summer. I hear Seward bookings are down 30%.
The Kenai area has a high number of retirees, contributing to a "mailbox economy" that insulates us from downturns to some degree. Construction is supposed to be the same as last year. Fishing is always a guess and I haven't seen any price projections on salmon and halibut yet.
Relative to the rest of the country, I think we'll be in much better shape. And I'm still planting my veggies and getting the dipnet ready.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,195 posts, read 30,600,378 times
Reputation: 13190
Food prices, too, have gone up steadily for the past three years. Since I am a retired veteran my wife can still shop at the commissary for produce, canned and other foods, which helps quite a lot. A lot of older people moved out of Fairbanks and vicinity about a year ago when heating fuel was more expensive than now. The State has a job hiring freeze at the moment, closing the door to possible new hires.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top