U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,548,791 times

Advertisements

I can get some primers if I need them from a friend of mine Chris, but there isn't a good source right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM

4,137 posts, read 8,183,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Cori do you have a good source in the valley for .223 & small pistol primers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grill God View Post
I can get some primers if I need them from a friend of mine Chris, but there isn't a good source right now.
What he said, Chris...just have to time it right with the gunshops, Sportsman's Warehouse, et al. And that isn't an easy fete.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:48 AM

7 posts, read 25,758 times
And soon AK will be the VT you are leaving.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 AM

15,599 posts, read 36,251,006 times
I've got a wheel barrow full of seed potaotes if anyone needs some. Reds, Purples, Yukon Golds all with mass amounts of eyes. I'm going to try for peanut potatoes this spring. Those go quick in my area.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM

82 posts, read 144,153 times
Default Moving due to economic reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I think a lot do leave for economic reasons, or will be with losing jobs and the cost of living. I agree that some also leave due to the weather, etc., . A lot of people move, don't like it, and move again, but in the -48 that is relatively easy to do. Moving to Alaska, and then leaving is a very costly endeavor as you well know. Most people that come to this forum that are looking to move to Alaska, have been given the advice to have a job or some type of savings to fall back on, which right now savings are fairly hard to come by for many. Moving here, along with being costly, is in my mind also a drawn-out, nerve-wracking experience, if moving a household, children, pets...unless you are fortunate to be single and can move with a suitcase or two, I cannot imagine...
Well as you know I am moving to Kodiak, in a few days.... As of today I leave Oregon in 10 days! We are moving due to economic reasons. I have mailed all that I really wanted to keep. The rest ( Computer, monitor, dogs & clothes) are going with me on the trip. I have given everything else to goodwill. Good tax write off huh. We are flying our Son who is 12 tho.

I would like to add that YES I have come to this site to learn more about Ak. I have learned alot thanks to all who have asked & answered questions. I love seeing the pics that you all have shared.

Thanks Again to all!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM

4,137 posts, read 8,183,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyeeyore View Post
Well as you know I am moving to Kodiak, in a few days.... As of today I leave Oregon in 10 days! We are moving due to economic reasons. I have mailed all that I really wanted to keep. The rest ( Computer, monitor, dogs & clothes) are going with me on the trip. I have given everything else to goodwill. Good tax write off huh. We are flying our Son who is 12 tho.

I would like to add that YES I have come to this site to learn more about Ak. I have learned alot thanks to all who have asked & answered questions. I love seeing the pics that you all have shared.

Thanks Again to all!
Safe journeys and godspeed.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,548,791 times
Rance I'd take some of those yukon golds the wife loves them. Maybe you could give me some pointers on planting them since I've never done it.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

374 posts, read 1,030,458 times
Default Economic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I think a lot do leave for economic reasons, or will be with losing jobs and the cost of living. I agree that some also leave due to the weather, etc., . A lot of people move, don't like it, and move again, but in the -48 that is relatively easy to do. Moving to Alaska, and then leaving is a very costly endeavor as you well know. Most people that come to this forum that are looking to move to Alaska, have been given the advice to have a job or some type of savings to fall back on, which right now savings are fairly hard to come by for many. Moving here, along with being costly, is in my mind also a drawn-out, nerve-wracking experience, if moving a household, children, pets...unless you are fortunate to be single and can move with a suitcase or two, I cannot imagine...

We are leaving mostly for economic reasons. I guess Nome did that to us. We spend so much more on groceries, gas, rent, etc. We finally decided that it just wasn't worth it- and then we added in the $10,000 at least that we have spent to visit family Outside since we moved to Nome. It wasn't so apparent to me when we lived in the Anchorage area, but being in Nome really amplified the cost of living for us. We started thinking about how we really want to live. We already hunt and save lots of berries, but we want to have chickens and grow fruit and veggies. I want a root cellar full of goodies for winter. That can be done in Alaska, but it seems like the dollar just doesn't go as far here. We can build a house more cheaply elsewhere, even using wood off the land just because tools are less expensive. We are just tired of working so much harder to buy the same thing. I know that wages are much lower elsewhere, but the climate is so much more amenable to living how we want to and still have access to services and such if we need them. It is interesting to read all the posts about people moving up here and to be on the other side of things- moving out. I am nervous. I have spent my entire adult life here in Alaska (12 years). But now that I am in a position to have land, a house, maybe a kid or two..... Alaska just doesn't hold the same appeal. Somehow the wildness, the great expanses have become too much. I don't want to have to buy everything online or have all my goods come by barge, truck, ship, etc. I want to buy goods more locally, and support people around me.

To all of you heading this way- congratulations on following your dreams!! That is really the most important part of the whole adventure. And BECAUSE you are following them, you will most likely succeed. And that is why this summer, we will pack up our trailer and head the other way- in pursuit of the dream to live a life that is much more simple than the life we have had in Nome. No more working just to pay for junk that I can provide for myself! Good luck to all of you! It makes me happy to know that no matter which direction we are headed- in or out- it is because there is never a better time than now to do what you have always dreamed of doing.....

Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM

322 posts, read 813,604 times
Meg,

That was a great post. It wouldn't let me give you any reputation for it.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,998,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
Meg,

That was a great post. It wouldn't let me give you any reputation for it.
I was able to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska