U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,998,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
My best potatoes grow in nothing but a pile of seaweed. I have tons of reds and blues I'll trade for some of those yukons. I got greedy and ate too many this winter!
Okay, I have to ask, how do you grow potatoes in seaweed, is it kind of like the straw method?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 04:36 PM

860 posts, read 1,824,549 times
The winter storms bring in tons of pop weed and deposit it at the high tide mark. I just pile it up where the tide can't reach, shove the seed potatoes in the middle of the pile and ignore it 'til September. Then I go get my spuds. I discovered this when I had more seed than dirt and thought 'what the heck, try it.' I got more potatoes from the seaweed pile than the dirt so now I save my dirt for carrots.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The winter storms bring in tons of pop weed and deposit it at the high tide mark. I just pile it up where the tide can't reach, shove the seed potatoes in the middle of the pile and ignore it 'til September. Then I go get my spuds. I discovered this when I had more seed than dirt and thought 'what the heck, try it.' I got more potatoes from the seaweed pile than the dirt so now I save my dirt for carrots.
LOL.. guess I can maybe go collect the seaweed, since on high ground here and rocky...and mix it in with whatever and water well if need to...if different from last year...Thank you as I think I will try that...

Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,061,758 times
Quote:
well yeaaby...pre-salted grown potatoes!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
well yeaaby...pre-salted grown potatoes!!!
I will take pre-salted...many more nutrients in seaweed that salt, and seaweed is harvested for cooking purposes. Most fresh-cooking of seafood/shellfish has seaweed involved, and I believe kelp is a nutritional supplement

Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Yeah, kelp is a wonderful nutritional supplement. It has natural iodine in it and is strengthening for the thyroid. It makes the best fertilizer in the world. I take the pick-up right down on the beach and fill it completely up, put about 6" all over my redneck boat yard garden , let the rain wash the salt through, then cover it with black plastic so it can cook 'til planting time. It's all I use besides my kitchen compost for fertilizer. Great stuff!!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/Grammas%20Cabin/100_3400.jpg (broken link)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/Grammas%20Cabin/100_3400.jpg (broken link)
I clip plastic over the pvc pipes to make a greenhouse when it's rainy & cool.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/Grammas%20Cabin/100_1465.jpg (broken link)
I grew food for the soul one year but we need food for the tummy so I concentrate on viggies now.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/Grammas%20Cabin/Picture333.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 PM

That first photo kept duplicating, I couldn't delete one & finally gave up.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
That first photo kept duplicating, I couldn't delete one & finally gave up.
That's my kind of garden, I am not too into fussy little rows...Do you have any problems with moose or deer getting into it down there?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 PM

The deer love to munch the new strawberry leaves. They're so darn cute and tame I just sit on the porch swing with my coffee and watch them. I'm trying to get raspberries established on the water side and I pitch a fit when they get into those. They don't bother anything else tho - so far. The plastic cover is usually over the big skiff and that keeps them out of there. We don't often get moose in the yard, only been a couple times over the last 8 years in winter.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,061,758 times
WOW Grammascabin, what gardens you have!!! your are truly an inspiration!!
In planning our home and greenhouse/garden already, I had planned on using seaweed for part of my soil mixture but had not even entertained the idea of unique containers for a garden!! and here I was thinking formal structure greenhouse....big $$ and you have just not only simplified it but given great beauty to the yard at the same time!!! the wheels of ideas are turning now....have to wait 'til we get up there and see what is available for unique gardening containers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska