Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:08 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times

Advertisements

20 years of navy mud left me with an appreciation of real good coffee. But I can still drink the sludge from the bottom of the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
...the highly politicized Bush DOJ intentionally mishandled the case and committed so many errors that the guilty verdict would be overturned.
I see. So the lead prosecutor in this case, who now faces a CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION and even possible jail time, volunteered to trash her career beacause what...she was so bored with sending people to jail that she now wants to see one from the inside?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
I found it suspicous that the Bush DOJ went after a high ranking Republican Senator....they were known to play politics just the other way. Now I see something far more sinister. Sen. Stevens was so guilty as charged that even a new graduate attorney could win the case but the US Department of Justice so mismanaged the prosecution that the guilty verdict has been thrown out!

In my mind this doesnt exhonerate Stevens...it suggest that since there was no way for him to get off.....the highly politicized Bush DOJ intentionally mishandled the case and committed so many errors that the guilty verdict would be overturned.
The reason you are so sure that Stevens is Guilty is because you know nothing but what the left media has been feeding you.

Here in Alaska, people do or don't like him because they know him, many on a first name basis. The fact that the Federal Judicial System lied to get a fraudulent conviction should scare the hell out of you, although I doubt you Mod Cut realize that by your post.

I don't think Steven's is an Angel by any means and he has done a lot of good for Alaska, but if he is what you considered dirty, then you really need to look at your own reps in the Congress... They all come from the same swamp.

In our Constitution in the "Real" America, you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, that doesn't include fraud on the part of those that are suppose to be enforcing the law to change the outcome of an Election.

Under the Democrats (if you are into conspiracies), he may have been exonerated because the appeal process may be starting to turn over the rocks where the light of day will upset a lot of their slimy critters that can't stand the light of day. Both in how they changed the course of a Federal Election though fraud, but what is now almost normal in sliming a person on the streets that don't toe the Democratic line.

Just because a sitting President has a court case go down under his watch, doesn't mean he has a hand in it. Many of the people in the legal systems (Including Judges) were appointed or hired under different political regimes and may each have their own agenda.

Stick to your own yard for in depth views since you clearly have no clue to what is going on down the street much less across the country.

Last edited by Rance; 04-08-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Moose Whisper:

She may not have anticipated being caught...I don't think Stevens anticipated being caught...I don't think Scooter Libby anticipated being caught...I don't think Gonsalves anticipated being found out..One of the interview questions for attorney's applying for jobs in that DOJ was "Why do you want to serve President Bush?" It was an extention of the white house, and JUSTICE had little to do with it.
Brenda Morris, the chief prosecutor in Steven's case, joined the Public Integrity Section, Criminal Division, US Department of Justice in September 1991. So much for your Mod Cut conspiracy theory.

Last edited by Rance; 04-08-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
It seems that elston's posts have been pulled. The biggest flaw in his thinking is why would the DOJ thrown the case when it would have been easier not to bring it up in the first place?

The other thing to remember is that he was not charged with bribery. He was charged with failing to report gifts on a form. This tells me they didn't have a strong case and were out to ruin a high profile politician's career.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
It seems that elston's posts have been pulled. The biggest flaw in his thinking is why would the DOJ thrown the case when it would have been easier not to bring it up in the first place?
Also, his whole premise would have required that, in order for such a masterful conspiracy to have been conceived and executed, George Bush would have to be acknowledged as an absolute genius. I doubt he was willing to go there!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM

The Alaska State House of Representatives has just passed a resolution asking the federal government to apologize to Ted Stevens and to let Stevens sue the Department of Justice.

Alaska Politics Blog : Alaska House wants Stevens to be able to sue | adn.com

I wonder if Marky-Mark was still there during that vote.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
The Alaska State House of Representatives has just passed a resolution asking the federal government to apologize to Ted Stevens and to let Stevens sue the Department of Justice.

Alaska Politics Blog : Alaska House wants Stevens to be able to sue | adn.com

I wonder if Marky-Mark was still there during that vote.
Figured he needed to get back to DC to help pass the next "Tarp" bill to ensure our taxes go through the roof for our grandkids. He sure came out of the gate as a lapboy for the Dem's. He talked of having backbone, instead he is a spineless jellyfish.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

88 posts, read 319,141 times
Default What a crock

How can you actually look in the mirror with a straight face and say this man was not guilty even Stevens admitted that he took money for favors. So there was no witch hunt. Remember this man broke the law and at the very least should be removed from office. He may have done alot of good things for Alaska but he no longer has the people's trust, he took bribes that is wrong and so many different levels. Just remember if it were you or I we would be in jail. They just had him by the balls and failed to do their job correctly of which I am ashamed of.

But please he was very corrupt and these are the things he got caught for.

This has nothing to do with a particular political party, misdirecting money, taking money for personal gains while in office is horrible.

Be ashamed of yourself.

Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The whole thing was a scam to remove Stevens from office, and put a Democrat in there. That's why the case came-up just before an election.

I do agree with you in that both sides (Republicans and Democrats) are corrupt, specially in Congress.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldavis View Post
How can you actually look in the mirror with a straight face and say this man was not guilty even Stevens admitted that he took money for favors. So there was no witch hunt. Remember this man broke the law and at the very least should be removed from office. He may have done alot of good things for Alaska but he no longer has the people's trust, he took bribes that is wrong and so many different levels. Just remember if it were you or I we would be in jail. They just had him by the balls and failed to do their job correctly of which I am ashamed of.

But please he was very corrupt and these are the things he got caught for.

This has nothing to do with a particular political party, misdirecting money, taking money for personal gains while in office is horrible.

Be ashamed of yourself.

Di
I don't know what country you live in, but in the United States, you are considered to be innocent until proven guilty. The justice system has found that Stevens was not legally proven to be guilty, hence the reversal on the original verdict.

Just because you or I might think so, doesn't make him guilty. First off, we only hear what's being reported in the news. We don't see all the evidence. In reality, the jury didn't see all the evidence because the prosecution violated the law and didn't turn over all evidence to the defendant. Also, the prosecution started with a weak case since they didn't charge him with bribery, they charged him with falsifying ethics forms. If they had a strong case, bribery would have been the charge.

If anyone should be ashamed, it should be you for convicting a person without a trial or for being a person not keeping an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska