Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 24,361 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im new to all this... so if I sound silly...not my fault...

For the past few years I have really wanted to move to Alaska, but im not sure where to... I want somewhere cheep, pretty (even though everywhere is) somewhere with local community, and a few jobs available. Im not moving for quite a while im more just trying to pick a place so I can start organizing.

I have tried looking it all up but all the information i get is so related to tourists.. and is more just a add.

So I figured I would ask the locals.. or people who would know from experience or even hearsay.

I am excited as well as keen and i would love some help.
Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
You might try being one of those tourists for a bit before making any decisions BC. In the meantime, you need to tell us what you're like before we can give any advice. If you're a city girl and want theaters, malls and more job opportunities it'd be Anchorage....but....ahem... that's not Alaska. You can get to Alaska from there tho. If you're the outdoorsy type and feel dressed up in your cleanest dirty jeans and extra-tuffs then you'd be happier in one of the smaller towns - but the economy's in the ditch for most of them so you'll never be rich - monitarily speaking.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Actually, there is no "best" place to move to in Alaska...it all depends on what you seek. Alaska is such a huge area that there is usually something here for everyone. You can literally fly for a 1000 miles (in some areas), and still be inside the state...it is quite large. As a result of that, weather conditions vary to a wide extreme, as well as do geologic differences.
"Cheap" is a kinda relative term, because everything in Alaska costs more than back in the "48". The only thing cheaper here is snow and icebergs (just kidding)
However, if lower costs are important then I'd stick to cities located along either a major shipping port, or along the highway system. Many cities and villages here are accessable only via air or sea (no highway access), hence everything has to be flown in, or barged in...resulting in much higher prices...terrifically high in some remote locations.
Jobs are somewhat of a hit-and-miss thing: all depending on location, time of year, and what background experience and training you have. Generally though, you can get a good idea of what's available here: Alaska Job Center Network

Hmmm...I see you are currently living in Australia. You could decide to move to Moose Pass, Alaska, and thereby make up for the Alaskan who left there a few years ago to live in Australia! Seems like a fair trade to me!
Actually though, IMO, it would probably be wiser to move to Seward, Ak, instead. There is only 27 miles seperating the two, but Moose Pass is much colder in the winter...often by 20 degrees...and there are A LOT more jobs in Seward... And...Seward is located in the Kenai Fjords National Park:

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/

http://www.kenai.fjords.national-park.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenai_Fjords_National_Park

Ok, so that should qualify for being "pretty"...

Good luck,
Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 04-05-2009 at 01:43 AM..

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 AM

140 posts, read 470,740 times
I recommend getting a roommate or to lease something for 6 months in Anchorage and work from there. It's very hard getting a job in this economy, especially in small towns. What field are you in? What are you looking for? Alaska is huge.. do you mind the rain? Are you looking for a LOT of snow? Do you like to sail? Are you looking for night life? Be a bit specific so we can narrow it down for you.

edit: the worst thing about alaska is that it's all beautiful but different and you can only live in one place at once!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Napaskiak. If fine dining, four star hotel restaurants, and olympic sized swimming pools is your cup of tea then you really want to check this place out.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:26 PM

140 posts, read 470,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Napaskiak. If fine dining, four star hotel restaurants, and olympic sized swimming pools is your cup of tea then you really want to check this place out.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2009 View Post

My apologies it wasnt Napaskiak it was the other village 5 miles away with the very different sounding unique name called Napakiak.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM

4 posts, read 24,361 times
Hey..

Well.. I love rain, love the snow, don't know about sailing..(never been) but im not too fond of boats..
I practically live in jeans and t-shirts.. I don't like getting dressed up, not a city chick.. city's are too busy, and annoying.. No offence to anyone that lives in one...

I Love the idea of Forests, small towns, and friendly people.

Basically i work in the Hospitality Industry.. So anywhere with, cafes, restaurants, Bars.. etc.

Thanks..

Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeC... View Post
Hey..

Well.. I love rain, love the snow, don't know about sailing..(never been) but im not too fond of boats..
I practically live in jeans and t-shirts.. I don't like getting dressed up, not a city chick.. city's are too busy, and annoying.. No offence to anyone that lives in one...

I Love the idea of Forests, small towns, and friendly people.

Basically i work in the Hospitality Industry.. So anywhere with, cafes, restaurants, Bars.. etc.

Thanks..
Sounds like Seward or Homer would be your cup of tea in the summer. Then hole up or migrate to Anchorage in the winter.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
It is hard to ask where the best place to live in Alaska to Alaskans. They will tell you that their town is the best in the world and wouldn't live anywhere else. It all depends on how you feel about it. It's obvious Jason hated it here and is in love with Kodiak. I grew up here and of course I think it's the best place in Alaska to live. Others might hate it, but I love it here. It's up to the person that is making the move and to have an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska