Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parakeets View Post
My dh and I are at our wits end! is there no such thing as an "honest" property manager

Here's the story, my husband got transferred waay out of AK, the housing market being what it is... we decieded to rent out our house, so, here we are thousands of miles away and it seems people want to take advantage of that (including our own neighbors whom were our thought we "friends") and our poor house has sat empty for months.... the pipes froze, the driveway had 4ft of snow because the nice neighbors whom dh had offered to pay to plow, had in fact not! and the few property managers we've talked to via phone all want $$ I did get an email from a lady who told me they had (after 3 yrs) finally sold there house as a FSBO. we can't yet as we have a mortgage and want to make some S by renting out beloved house.

Of course we don't want smokers, druggies, ASHA or pets because we don't want our home trashed.... is that too much to ask?
we bought/lived in the house 4 yrs and thought people, as a general rule, looked out for one another, were kind, helpful... yet here we are feeling that alaskans are as cold as the ice and don't give a dang if they have nothing to gain

I say poo to our so-called "neighbors", they had both our phone numbers and the house could have burned down for all they DIDN'T care!
Looks like reality has hit you hard on this one. The only people in this world that you can count on are the people who love you - and that usually means family. Other people might talk a good game, but when it comes right down to it, that's all it is - talk.

You neighbors are most likely a little ticked off at you for wanting to rent out your house. Rental houses in the neighborhoods *do* lower property values - plus if you get some real losers in there, the neighbors are going to be the ones that will have to deal with it on a day-by-day basis. My guess is that your neighbors are HOPING that you don't rent the property so that this does not happen. They may even be hoping that you default on your mortgage and it is foreclosed on so that they can pick up the house for a fraction of it's value and use it as a rental themselves, or have a relative move in.

You might as well realize right now that people are going to be "helpful and kind" only when it benefits THEM to be that way.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 AM

43 posts, read 132,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Looks like reality has hit you hard on this one. The only people in this world that you can count on are the people who love you - and that usually means family. Other people might talk a good game, but when it comes right down to it, that's all it is - talk.

You neighbors are most likely a little ticked off at you for wanting to rent out your house. Rental houses in the neighborhoods *do* lower property values - plus if you get some real losers in there, the neighbors are going to be the ones that will have to deal with it on a day-by-day basis. My guess is that your neighbors are HOPING that you don't rent the property so that this does not happen. They may even be hoping that you default on your mortgage and it is foreclosed on so that they can pick up the house for a fraction of it's value and use it as a rental themselves, or have a relative move in.

You might as well realize right now that people are going to be "helpful and kind" only when it benefits THEM to be that way.

20yrsinBranson
Branson, you are right.
and although deep within I realize this truth and know this is why our world is failing so miserably, it still hurts very much .
I for one would hope never to stoop so low in my life.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Property values in Alaska differ in that you can have a log shack with 3 cars parked on the front "lawn" sitting next to a 6 bedroom modern home with all the amenities. No joke. Property values here are a matter of the property and size of the home and whether it's located near the road or not.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM

140 posts, read 470,740 times
Allow pets!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Alrightyyyyy now...even a single guy isn't a good tenant anymore!!!

A landlord's nightmare

A SINGLE GUY LIVED IN THIS TOWNHOUSE FOR 8 YEARS IN OGDEN UTAH

THE LANDLORD THOUGHT HE WAS THE BEST RENTER BECAUSE HE NEVER CALLED OR COMPLAINED AND WAS NEVER LATE ON A PAYMENT.

THESE PICTURES DON'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO WHAT IT REALLY LOOKED LIKE.

" CENTURY 21REALTY HAD ALREADY MOVED SOME OF THE CANS OUT, AND THEY HAD CAVED IN THE TUNNELS THAT THE RENTER HAD MADE TO GET TO THE BEDROOM, BATHROOM, AND KITCHEN .

All this, yet you still do not see any dust, scattered clothing, or dirty dishes anywhere .

Other than having a minor drinking problem, he was basically a very clean, organized person. Add to this, the fact that he was concerned about his health, proven by the fact that he drank "Light" beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Renting out our house in Kenai (area)-beer-can-utah-townhouse.jpg   Renting out our house in Kenai (area)-beer-can-utah-townhouse1.jpg   Renting out our house in Kenai (area)-beer-can-utah-townhouse2.jpg   Renting out our house in Kenai (area)-beer-can-utah-townhouse3.jpg   Renting out our house in Kenai (area)-beer-can-utah-townhouse4.jpg  

Renting out our house in Kenai (area)-beer-can-utah-townhouse5.jpg  

Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parakeets View Post
Marty,

That is what we are looking for, a "responsible" property manager.
long story short, we "contracted" with one PM right after we left several months ago, this PM failed us miserabley by violating one of the contact terms. rather than siding with us, she was more interested in protecting the tennent and her fee the arraingment lasted only 7 wks but being as far as we are, it was sheer h*!! and we even had a state trooper get involved.
I must admit that we are more than dissapointed in small town, non-folksiness that IS Kenai and because its so small, everyone knows his/her's business. we really would LOVE to sell the house as flying to/fro is too costly.
being that this is Holy Week, I must bight my tongue! but am very worried about things relating to this house and will continue to pray/meditate that things will come together.
we have friend who's house is up for sale here and will soon be looking for a home to buy in the Kenai area!!! they are interested in the Soldotna area particularly. If seriously interested in selling PM me and I will forward the info and picture/price, to them if you'd like!!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
If I were you I would sell the house for whatever you can get for it in 30 days or less. That is likely less than you want, but you CAN sell it.

Ask at least 2-3 real estate agents what price it will bring in 30 days or less and then go from there. You need people who make their living selling real estate day in and day out, not part time people. Most real estate agents do not make a living at it. The average amount of sales per agent in Kenai is only 3.68 per year according to the MLS. 92 sales in the last year and 25 agents. So you need someone who sells at least 20 houses per year... Then after you hear the 30 day sales price, you need to suck it up and sell it or gamble on the future. I would sell because you are long distance.

BTW...Full disclosure...I am licensed to sell real estate in Alaska but I don't do any work in Kenai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska