Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,067 times

Advertisements

Nicole,

Since it doesn't sound like you're moving to Bethel for the long haul, I'd recommend minimizing the items you take. Make sure you have enough hobby/entertainment stuff to keep yourself content for your stay. If you're an avid ice skater or cross country skier, you may want to take appropriate equipment because there's no place to rent it. If you like to bowl, consider bringing your own ball after checking to see if the bowling alley is still in operation. If you think your favorite snack won't be available, you might want to stock up on it or other specialty food items if you like to cook. (Bethel does have an amazing variety of food available in the stores, but brand-specific things may be hard to find.) Take enough cookware to easily prepare the things you like to cook, and don't forget what you'll need for special occasions. If you find that you didn't bring something you need, get creative and consider it an adventure!

Layering is your friend when it comes to clothing, so plan accordingly. Many people have warm jackets and boots, but tend to forget about the layers they need on the upper legs and derriere. The arms sometimes get cold, too, because people layer with t-shirts and vests, but forget that doesn't cover the entire arm too well.

I would recommend at least two pairs of gloves/mittens, a light-weight pair and a heavy pair. If you'll be playing in the snow a lot, think about what will keep you dry and consider doubling up on gloves and snowpants (and maybe even boots) so you can change and keep going when you get wet. Mittens tend to keep hands warmer since the fingers are in contact with each other, but gloves are handier for certain tasks like driving or photography. Personally, I don't think one can ever have too many gloves or mittens or hats.

A good scarf will probably come in handy to cover your face while waiting for transportation or walking; a ski mask is always an option, too. Warm footwear is a must if you spend any time out of doors. Some people recommend heavy socks, but I found that my feet stayed much warmer with a single layer of thin socks because I have wide feet. Thick socks tended to cut off the circulation. I learned that after too many years of suffering cold feet. Make sure any boots you get are tall enough to deal with a snowfall; it's not fun having snow slide down inside your shoes.

If you're planning to spend time outdoors, snowpants or bib overalls will be your friend. Depending on what you're doing and the temperature, you may be able to get away with rain pants if you have sufficient layering for your legs. Personally, I find overalls to be more trouble than they're worth if you ever have to answer a call of nature in the wild. However, overalls tend to keep the upper body warmer when wearing a jacket rather than a longer coat.

Although the standard winter coat seems to be a heavy duty, parka type of jacket, I found my comfort level increased drastically when I switched to a long coat (even though it was lighter weight). It was amazing how much warmer I felt once my rear was covered. No more cold air hitting my butt or going up my back! Some type of fur ruff (real or fake) on the hood of your jacket will trap the warm air produced by your breathing and keep your face much warmer. The more the hood extends in front of your face, the warmer you'll stay.

Finally, jewelry against your bare skin will become very noticeable once the cold weather hits. I'm also learning that extreme cold might affect sensitive dental work, so you may have reason to make sure your face stays nice and warm; don't neglect that scarf or hood!

Since you're not going to be in Bethel for long, I wouldn't go overboard on what you bring. Just use some common sense and consider your lifestyle and your personality. Think about what will keep you safe, comfortable, and content for the period you're planning to stay. Then, set about acquiring what you'll need and get the best quality you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
So since this seems to be the official "moving to Bethel" thread, I might as well post my story in here. I'm applying for a job as an air traffic controller in Fairbanks, and I'm about 1/4 of the way through the process. Unfortunately, there is not a guarantee that I will be selected.

I'm also in the hiring process for a job as a TSA agent at Bethel Airport, which serves as my backup plan in case ATC doesn't work out. Assuming I pass the test and the background screen, it seems like I have a good chance on being selected for TSA. So I may end up in Bethel. I know Bethel is quite different from Fairbanks, but it's still Alaska and beautiful in its own way. I'm not going to ask the standard questions, as those have already been answered in other threads (thanks warptman, blueberry), but I will ask if anyone knows of a good, economical way to ship a car up in winter. I know the river/ocean is frozen over, so would it have to be by air? Also, about how much would this cost? Would it be cheaper to just buy a car in Bethel?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
It depends on how big of a car it is. The two main air shippers are Lynden and Everts. Nac does ship cars in, but they usually send you to Lynden Air. Lynden then sends you over to Everts Air. Everts has a cheaper shipping on cars. They ship by linear foot. There are a few cars/trucks for sale here. If you do work for TSA, they'll either have you here on rotation and provide you a place to live. If you reside here, you'll have to find a place of your own. I only know of one local person working here for TSA, he is trying to get the other workers used to the customary way of life here, in other words, he's trying to mellow them out on how they do things. Some of the new TSA Agents come here with something up their rear end and tend to be mean to passengers, I can't stand them.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It depends on how big of a car it is. The two main air shippers are Lynden and Everts. Nac does ship cars in, but they usually send you to Lynden Air. Lynden then sends you over to Everts Air. Everts has a cheaper shipping on cars. They ship by linear foot.
Thanks. I'll make sure to check them out.

Quote:
If you do work for TSA, they'll either have you here on rotation and provide you a place to live. If you reside here, you'll have to find a place of your own. I only know of one local person working here for TSA, he is trying to get the other workers used to the customary way of life here, in other words, he's trying to mellow them out on how they do things. Some of the new TSA Agents come here with something up their rear end and tend to be mean to passengers, I can't stand them.
I can assure you that that's not me. I'm a down to earth small town guy, and I believe in treating people with respect. Also, I'm looking to "go local" once I get here - become an Alaskan. I want to learn the customary way of doing things there. I'm in for the long haul. I'm not interested in TSA temporary housing, I'm looking to rent (for now, buy later) a real home.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,557 times
Did you take the job and did you like , they are offering me a job there, I am still in a decision process

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
Default Moving to Bethel

If I am moving to Bethel, is funiture cheap out there or is it better to ship my crappy stuff. Or cheaper to buy new stuff and have it shipped.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 AM

Nothing is cheap, there seems to be a lot of moving sales lately here, might find something then.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 13,586 times
Talking Considering relocating to Bethel

Hello,

My name is Valerie and I am a nurse practitioner currently living in VA and strongly considering taking a position at the Hospital in Bethel. I have boochoo questions.

1. Has the internet gotten any faster from the last post I read about it in 2009? How well will skype work there?

2. I have searched the real estate market online and it kind looks kinda grim. Any chance of me renting something on the water and what am I looking at in rent to do so? Only need 1-2 bed w/ 1 bath. Also it is of utmost importance I bring my loving pitt bull with me. If he can't come neither can I. I read a couple of different posts from stiffneck and he was a little gloomy about the subject so I wondered how accepting landlords were of this. No cats stiffneck.

3. Now I am driving a Honda Accord but am planning on giving this car to my daughter and getting a truck when I get there. Is it better to purchase this on this side of the country, Bethel or Anchorage? Looking for a nice used 2005-2008 Toyota Sequoia.

4. How do I get my U-haul from VA to Bethel? These are a couple of options I was considering and any advice you could give would be great.

a. Take my grown kids on a road trip in July or August and drive the U-haul to Washington and ferry it across to Bethel or drive all the way to Anchorage then ferry or barge it over.

b. Say screw it and take only the few necessities I want/need, drive to anchorage and buy everything again once I get to AK and have it shipped to Bethel but still take my kids on a road trip to get here .

5. Is Bethel still a damp town? What kind of BS is that? No place to get a beer or margarita after work?

6. Cell phone: Cost per month and how many minutes? what is the name of the cell company there?

7. Any suggestions on what route to take to get there from here? I am planning on taking about 10 days to do this so we have plenty of time to take in some sites.

I know this was a lot to ask and I'm sure I'll think of more soon. I am looking at starting work there in late June but not completely relocating until my son finishes with the summer semester.

Thank you for your help.

Valerie

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM

1. Has the internet gotten any faster from the last post I read about it in 2009? How well will skype work there?

Skype works here.

2. I have searched the real estate market online and it kind looks kinda grim. Any chance of me renting something on the water and what am I looking at in rent to do so? Only need 1-2 bed w/ 1 bath. Also it is of utmost importance I bring my loving pitt bull with me. If he can't come neither can I. I read a couple of different posts from stiffneck and he was a little gloomy about the subject so I wondered how accepting landlords were of this. No cats stiffneck.

There are a few renters here. Good luck finding a rental on the piped water. You can ask the housing supervisor for YKHC about YK rentals, these are duplexes with a water/septic system.

3. Now I am driving a Honda Accord but am planning on giving this car to my daughter and getting a truck when I get there. Is it better to purchase this on this side of the country, Bethel or Anchorage? Looking for a nice used 2005-2008 Toyota Sequoia.

You can buy one there and drive it up or buy one in Anchorage and have it barged here.

4. How do I get my U-haul from VA to Bethel? These are a couple of options I was considering and any advice you could give would be great.

You don't, no roads in. We don't have a U-haul dealer here. You can drop it off in Anchorage after you ship your things here.

b. Say screw it and take only the few necessities I want/need, drive to anchorage and buy everything again once I get to AK and have it shipped to Bethel but still take my kids on a road trip to get here .

Go with this plan.

5. Is Bethel still a damp town? What kind of BS is that? No place to get a beer or margarita after work?

You can bring all you want to now, no sales though.

6. Cell phone: Cost per month and how many minutes? what is the name of the cell company there?

GCI | We are all connected

7. Any suggestions on what route to take to get there from here? I am planning on taking about 10 days to do this so we have plenty of time to take in some sites.

I'd do something like this.

Richmond, VA to Anchorage, AK - Google Maps

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 AM

6 posts, read 13,586 times
Default Moving to Bethel

Warpman I want to meet you when I get there. You have been so helpful to so many people. You have a great heart! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska