Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times

Advertisements

Thank you once again for the beautiful photos and 'education', Jess! Good luck to Shawn, I hope he stays safe! I appreciate the hunters not wanting you to post photos of the sacred portion of the hunt, some things are private and not for public scruitny - but I sure do love seeing the photos you are able to post. I've tried seal meat a few times but just can't get the taste for it. Even tried it in a pot of chili and threw out the whole pot. Wonder if I'm preparing it wrong.
Thanks again, keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,115 times
BarkingOwl. : No, there are no survival suits worn during whaling, which mean if you fall into the water, the weight from your excessive clothing will make you sink - like a rock !!

GrandMa's Cabin.. I feel the same way about seal meat.. I have had it once, and the piece I attempted to ingest - was the size of this period .

uh uh .. that taste is not suitable for my East Coast Palette !!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Thank you once again for the beautiful photos and 'education', Jess! Good luck to Shawn, I hope he stays safe! I appreciate the hunters not wanting you to post photos of the sacred portion of the hunt, some things are private and not for public scruitny - but I sure do love seeing the photos you are able to post. I've tried seal meat a few times but just can't get the taste for it. Even tried it in a pot of chili and threw out the whole pot. Wonder if I'm preparing it wrong.
Thanks again, keep us posted!
There are no "sacred" portions of a whale hunt. There are some very sensitive issues though, about killing whales. The Barrow Whaling Captain's Association simply will not allow it to be photographed by anyone they do not trust. They want an accurate depiction, not some dramatic exaggeration such as what has been presented here.

Some parts of a Bowhead are an acquired taste perhaps; but most of it is at least as good, if not better, than beef. Seal and walrus are much the same. I've been happily eating seal and walrus for decades. Here on the North Slope they hunt the large Bearded Seals to use the skins for the umiaq whaling boats, and typically make seal oil from the blubber of the seal and also make large pieces of dried seal meat. The meat is just like beef jerky, except is tastes better. It's often eaten with seal oil and a vegetable salad.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:32 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
There are no "sacred" portions of a whale hunt. There are some very sensitive issues though, about killing whales. The Barrow Whaling Captain's Association simply will not allow it to be photographed by anyone they do not trust. They want an accurate depiction, not some dramatic exaggeration such as what has been presented here.
Some parts of a Bowhead are an acquired taste perhaps; but most of it is at least as good, if not better, than beef. Seal and walrus are much the same. I've been happily eating seal and walrus for decades. Here on the North Slope they hunt the large Bearded Seals to use the skins for the umiaq whaling boats, and typically make seal oil from the blubber of the seal and also make large pieces of dried seal meat. The meat is just like beef jerky, except is tastes better. It's often eaten with seal oil and a vegetable salad.
I question that statement Floyd "there is no scared part of the hunt" as all old cultures even Buddhist "honor the spirit of the animal killed" you offer up thanks to the spirit of the animal you have killed to feed you and others and it is a scared ceremony not for viewing of others. What do you say Jess???

Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Do the crews wear survival suits in the umiaqs?
Parkas are full of air and a person who falls into water bobs like a cork for several minutes. However, the water is at something between 34 and 40 degrees and survival time is measured in just a few minutes due to hypothermia.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I question that statement Floyd "there is no scared part of the hunt" as all old cultures even Buddhist "honor the spirit of the animal killed" you offer up thanks to the spirit of the animal you have killed to feed you and others and it is a scared ceremony not for viewing of others. What do you say Jess???
It is not the prayer or a time when the spirit of the whale is honored that they will not allow him to photograph. Also note that they have allowed others to photograph the entire hunt.

You should ask someone who is trusted by the Barrow Whaling Captain's Association to accurately present their culture. If they don't trust someone, should you?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
It is not the prayer or a time when the spirit of the whale is honored that they will not allow him to photograph. Also note that they have allowed others to photograph the entire hunt.

You should ask someone who is trusted by the Barrow Whaling Captain's Association to accurately present their culture. If they don't trust someone, should you?
how does one verify that one is "trusted by the Barrow Whaling Captain's Association".??? Is there like a list??? or is it just who thinks they are the trusted ones??? where does one find the complete photographed hunt???

Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
how does one verify that one is "trusted by the Barrow Whaling Captain's Association".??? Is there like a list??? or is it just who thinks they are the trusted ones??? where does one find the complete photographed hunt???
It might be very difficult for someone who lives where you do (as opposed to how easy that is where I live). But certainly when you know that the BWCA has explicitly told an individual they are not trusted...

The National Geographic has been allowed to photograph whaling a few times. Bill Hess is allowed to photograph whaling. I haven't looked around on the Internet, and have no idea what resources your local library might have. Of course here in Barrow there are dozens of places that have whaling photography exhibits, but the Inupiat Heritage Center is the one most seen by visitors.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM

I have photographed 7 entire hunts !

I am the one "they trust" I have the proof. floyd has words of delusion !!

What is amazing is the captains keep saying to me.. Good job, keep up the good work. They commented on the accuracy of my :Story : FLOYD is the ONLY ONE who puts up a fuss over this!

That should tell you the "real story" !! I have it all. on film and digital. Care to show and tell what you have FLOYD ??

I didn't think so !!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM

Default Right from the CAPTAINS LIPS !!

READ .. His words !

Notice: Who he is respecting as the authority

Notice: RESPECT FOR THE HUNT -- for the culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska