Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times

Advertisements

Thank you for incredible pictures and insights .... looking forward to more - Wish everyone well and safe and good hunting!
I don't want to get "into" the political debates however this is interesting to me to read this thread...I have no authority facts or backup to debate.

It is a new enlightenment to me in the last year... the discovery of the past years encounters of my life and ideas... please take my thoughts of good .....and forgive the ramble.

It is really easy to sit in my mainland house in Washington going to the grocery for food and watching Animal planet to make judgments of how and what other people should do. I spent the last couple of months watching the whales off WA and in Hawaii... completely amazed at the pure presence of them... sit and wait all day for a tail breech or a blow! Just to witness it! Wonder why today in this modern age why someone would want to hunt such a incredible animal.

However in my past I hunted for my food - too poor to go to that grocery 38 miles away - hunted my elk deer ducks geese grouse.... did it legally - raised my veges and who's right is it to question how I fed myself. How do I or anyone to question the right of how they do it also... whether it is just good food today- accessable or now the true question of importance culture....

I have had experiences in my life with tribes in WA - before the whale hunts came back - helping the medicine man of a certain tribe before death describe his experience bringing culture back to the land of the people - touching and seeing things from long ago - seeing a tribe bring the opposed culture back .... it just happened I had no idea where I was going - just a white person at the right time to experience. I did see something on National G this winter that also opened my eyes to why in Alaska. Watch people I know in WA in tribes and the Hawaiians try to recreate a culture that was theirs....with regualations who is to question what is correct from a distance.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and example of the truth known to you and the people on your crew. It is a true present that many of us would never see without your posting and sharing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,115 times
.. .. Thank you so much for taking the time to post that !

Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,115 times
We sit and wait- in the village - today is west wind 17 knots - snow is blowing. sigh, we wait !!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
To date there still have been no whales taken by Barrow crews. The wind is still from the wrong direction and the only open leads are northeast of town, past the point.

As of today, the 15th, crews will be allowed to hunt with aluminum boats and outboard motors at any point along the ice, if any leads do open. That is usually allowed late in the year when the weather warms up as the potential for affecting the migration pattern is greatly reduced.

Given the lack of favorable conditions so far this spring, it appears that next fall will be a very busy season, with the entire quota unused.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
What happened? Did Majik get the boot again? Jesse...are you out there?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
They threw him into the lead.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
The water opened back up, I was out yesterday and the day before, the lead was pretty close to the beach, maybe less than a mile in some places. One of the other crews just got the first whale, I think it was Gordon Browers crew. I didn't hear how big it was. Anyone have any more updates on other crews?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:36 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
The water opened back up, I was out yesterday and the day before, the lead was pretty close to the beach, maybe less than a mile in some places. One of the other crews just got the first whale, I think it was Gordon Browers crew. I didn't hear how big it was. Anyone have any more updates on other crews?
I heard it was the ABC crew, but no other info. That was what I heard at lunch time.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM

351 posts, read 685,804 times
From the info I got....

Floyd is correct it was the ABC crew. I was talking with one of the crew members this afternoon - actually got a Very small sample taste of the fresh whale blubber and cartlidge from the Baleen. After a number of washings in soap and hot water my hands still have a faint smell of whale.
A little WD40 did help.

He said it was caught last night and it took them all morning to bring it in. I think he said it was a 27 foot whale, some kind of northern - not bowhead - but my mind is a bit off this evening.

He had just finished cutting it up in his front yard as I was walking by, They were going to boil some and freeze the rest.

I can see the open water out back of my house. It looks like maybe a 1/2 mile - of course distances can be deceiving and I haven't been out there but it sure looks close.

BTW thanks - some really nice pictures in this thread.

It's all good!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Funny WD40 helped- I hear it is made of fish oil! And I dislike how my hands smell after using it a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska