Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM

243 posts, read 483,033 times

Advertisements

Not to worry Kittymama i live in heavily populated area in SoCal. If i fired a single shot at mister cat the neighbors would be reporting me to the police for discharging a weapon in a heartbeat. then if it was found out i aimed at a cat i would be facing a year or two for animal cruelty even though if i called the "humane" society they would do the same with it.

Last edited by socal4now; 04-27-2009 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
There is a city-data forum devoted to cats that would be able to offer you helpful and compassionate suggestions that do not involve the use of firearms. . If it were me faced with a stray cat, I would try to lure the cat in with food and take it to a no kill shelter or a foster animal place, if it was not possible to add it to my family. I would also get said animal spayed or neutered regardless of the choice made so that it would not contribute more kitties to the stray cat population.
I understand your concern, but you have to realize that a truly feral cat or dog, is not going to be lured by food if there is any human nearby. They are not strays, they are no longer domesticated. Strays still retain the temperament of a pet. Unless they are rabid, feral cats and dogs will not approach any human regardless of the enticement.

Not only are feral cats and dogs a potential disease and parasite threat, they are a threat to people, family pets, property (chickens, livestock, etc.), and they have a detrimental effect on the wildlife.

They should not be captured, sterilized, and returned to the wild either. They need to be put down.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,982,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I understand your concern, but you have to realize that a truly feral cat or dog, is not going to be lured by food if there is any human nearby. They are not strays, they are no longer domesticated. Strays still retain the temperament of a pet. Unless they are rabid, feral cats and dogs will not approach any human regardless of the enticement.

Not only are feral cats and dogs a potential disease and parasite threat, they are a threat to people, family pets, property (chickens, livestock, etc.), and they have a detrimental effect on the wildlife.

They should not be captured, sterilized, and returned to the wild either. They need to be put down.
Well-said. Line it up and pow!, problem solved.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,759,307 times
Short of line it up and pow, capturing, sterilising feral cats and than returning them to the wild is the proper way. Cats like that are marked with a notch in one ear, can't remember which one.
They take their place in the food chain and make it harder for all other new kittens to survive, and thus lowering the population of feral cats.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Short of line it up and pow, capturing, sterilising feral cats and than returning them to the wild is the proper way. Cats like that are marked with a notch in one ear, can't remember which one.
They take their place in the food chain and make it harder for all other new kittens to survive, and thus lowering the population of feral cats.
No, that is not their "place in the food chain." They actually disrupt the food chain because they are not indigenous to the area. Releasing a foreign species into the environment can only cause harm to that environment. They need to be destroyed.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,647,538 times
Default Why all the drama?

No drama...no BS...just shoot the damn things and be done with it. My guess is 90% of you folks never lived on a farm. Sometimes things have to be done. You just don't think about it...you just do it. For 25 cents (22 shell) you can put one of those dang feral critters out of everyones misery...or you can waste time and money, trapping, neutering, feeding, releasing and all the bs that goes with it...only in the end...the thing just dies a miserable death at the hands of some bigger creature. Or it starves or freezes to death. Just cut the crap and shoot the thing and be done with it already.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 PM

823 posts, read 1,721,812 times
Reps X10

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM

243 posts, read 483,033 times
had a long reply typed in but wasnt signed in hmmmmm.... suffice to say i agree rance but here in urban socal where the only wildlife we have is rats (lots of em) and possums with the occasional skunk cats arent going to throw anything off and jail awaits those that take your suggestion.
If i were there in Alaska i wouldnt have bothered to ask.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 PM

322 posts, read 898,768 times
Yes, I confess I've never lived on a farm. Yes, I confess that I chose "kittymama" as my handle because I own five lovely felines (that I do keep confined to my property as a courtesy to my neighbors and for their own safety as well). They are my only pets, because well, when cats exist, why do I need other pets? In fact, I even plan to move them to Austin with me because they are members of my family. So yes, I do tend to get a bit dramatic when I hear about something bad happening to a member of my favorite non-human species on the entire planet. And yes, this is exactly why I suggested posting this in the cat forum because some of them are even more obsessed than me, if you can believe it. And yes, this is meant to be slightly humorous. I know I'm biased and my love of kitties isn't rational, but what can I say? And yes, I would probably be a vegetarian if I had to kill my own food too.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,759,307 times
My post was not just my opinion, this is what vets here in the midwest do. And it makes sense- releasing sterilized feral cats does lower their numbers in the wild.
Some sample stories from the net:
Quote:
A group of Eugene veterinarians plans to catch, sterilize and release 500 feral cats this year to reduce feline overpopulation and curb the spread of disease.
Eugene vets vow to sterilize 500 feral cats - OregonLive.com
Quote:
"Britain has an estimated 7 million pet cats and 1 million ferals. By comparison, the United States has approximately 60 million pet cats and 60 million ferals
Sterilization Drugs for Cats - a New Way to Manage Ferals?
Quote:
The ordinance that has just been passed by the Omaha City Council will allow those who want to help feral cats do so legally. The NHS is hoping to sterilize 1,500 feral cats in the next 12 months. These surgeries will be offered under the auspices of Feline Friendz to caretakers with permits those who choose to operate within the law. These surgeries will be done at no cost to the caretaker.
Nebraska Humane Society: Feral Cat Ordinance
In fact, I see now that this is world-wide approach.
While shooting is one option for rural areas, you can not do it in urban setting, and abandoned pets are the main source of these cats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska