Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 02:05 PM

36 posts, read 109,136 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance for posting another gun question. However, I will be in Barrow on May 25th and need to know a few things.

First, is there a gun dealer or gun smith in Barrow?

I am going to a gun show here in Phoenix tomorrow and need to know how to get the gun safely to Barrow. If there is a gun dealer, I can ship it dealer to dealer I understand.

I think you for your patience in answering all of my questions. The packing is coming right along. The moving company will be here in 9 days to take our treasures. The vehicles are sold. I am ready for this move to be over.

Sherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:14 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
I apologize in advance for posting another gun question. However, I will be in Barrow on May 25th and need to know a few things.

First, is there a gun dealer or gun smith in Barrow?

I am going to a gun show here in Phoenix tomorrow and need to know how to get the gun safely to Barrow. If there is a gun dealer, I can ship it dealer to dealer I understand.

I think you for your patience in answering all of my questions. The packing is coming right along. The moving company will be here in 9 days to take our treasures. The vehicles are sold. I am ready for this move to be over.

Sherry
There is a gunsmith. I don't know what he calls his business, but I'll find out and send you a DM.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,368 times
Transporting weapons on the airplane is acceptable, as long as the rules are followed, Must be in a lockable gun case, empty, no ammunition. We had no problem bringing weapons up here.

The man in town you want to speak with is 'Dave'. He works for GCI. 907 852 5511 He has a whole connex coming up on the barge this year filled with weapons and ammunition ! He builds his own weapons and fixes & repairs also.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 PM

26 posts, read 113,855 times
Default Don't need a gun in Barrow

You don't really need a gun to live in Barrow....If you're going adventuring out of town, you should go with a local anyway and they'll have a gun. Otherwise you won't need one to get to your taxi and back, to get to the airport, or to take out the garbage. Just wait and see if you need one when you get there.

Attached Thumbnails
One final question about guns and Barrow-polar-bear-chase3.bmp   One final question about guns and Barrow-tsa-bear.bmp   One final question about guns and Barrow-dumpster5.jpg  

Old 04-28-2009, 06:16 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
If your flying up you can either take it as part of your checked luggage or it can be shipped as air freight. There is absolutely no need to involve an FFL in the process. It's an unnecessary expense.

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air - Transporting Firearms

Transporting Firearms

Firearms Definition

The term "firearm" describes any weapon that will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon. This includes:
  • Sporting rifles, shotguns, and handguns
  • Handguns of authorized law enforcement officers while traveling on official duty
  • Starter pistols, compressed air or BB guns, and flare pistols
  • Antique firearms

Handguns must be unloaded and packed in a hard-sided container locked with a key or lock combination only in the traveler's possession. The locked hard-sided case can be placed in a soft-sided case.
Rifles, shotguns, and other firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key. We also recommend that the bolt be removed and the slide locked open. All parts of the firearm must be packed in the same container as the firearm itself.
Alaska Airlines does not allow customers under age 18 to carry on or check a firearm.
Firearms / Shooting Equipment

The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.
  • Shooting Equipment
    1. One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
    2. One shotgun case with shotguns, or
    3. One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
  • Ammunition—up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case).
Firearm Declaration

Identify all bags containing firearms when you check in. Firearms must be unloaded. You will be asked to read and sign a special tag for each bag/container holding a firearm(s). This serves as your declaration that each weapon is unloaded and both weapons and ammunition are properly packaged. It is your responsibility to obtain all the necessary permits for any firearm checked between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
International Transport

Canada - Handguns cannot be transported to or through Canada. Non-restricted hunting rifles or competition firearms do not require specialized documentation. Please call 800-731-4000 for additional information on firearms to or from Canada. A U.S. Customs declaration issued before departing the U.S. is required before bringing your firearms back to the United States. We cannot accept rifles, shotguns and other firearms between the United States and Canada without the required documentation.
Mexico - Handguns cannot be transported to or through Mexico. Before any firearm can be accepted for travel to Mexico, a consulate issued permit is required. Contact the Mexican consulate nearest you for additional information on firearms to or from Mexico. A U.S. Customs declaration issued before departing the U.S. is required before bringing your firearms back to the United States. We cannot accept rifles or shotguns and other firearms between the United States and Mexico without the required documentation.
Paintball Cylinders

Refillable type cylinders may travel as checked baggage under the following conditions:
  • Regulator valve must be completely disconnected from the cylinder.
  • Cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.
Pepper Spray/Animal Repellents

Chemical repellents can be carried in checked luggage if the volume is less than 4 ounces and has less than a 2% active ingredient. Most bear repellant exceed these limitations. We suggest buying such items at your destination and leaving them behind upon return.
Pepper spray may be transported in checked baggage if it is less than 4 ounce and a cap, case or other mechanism is in place to prevent accidental discharge.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Thanks again Stiffnecked for all the firearm transportation information. We'll be moving up shortly and our weapons & ammo are our current concern. After reading one of your previous posts, I found that one of our rifles is not allowed through Canada and that our shotguns may not either because they have mag-extenders, we already knew the handguns weren't allowed.

So I looked into USPS the long guns to ourselves and shipping the handguns UPS/FedEx. In their cases, the long guns are just barely below the USPS limit, but they do exceed the package size limit and would incure about $20 extra in postage. UPS is whining that you can't ship your handgun to yourself in another state and need to ship it through FFL... I got so annoyed that I hung up before getting a quote although they did say that extra fees applied for ammunition (ORM-D) and firearms.

Then I checked about sending them all up Alaska Airline Cargo based on one of your previous posts. Turns out that air cargo costs a little less for the weapons and the ammo then just trying to send ourselves the weapons by other means. Bless you for that tip! We've had absolutely no problems flying with our shotguns as checked baggage in the past, no problems with lost/damaged weapons or ammo either, so I figure air cargo is the way we'll go for the big move.

I've got a call in to their customer service department, but maybe you already know the answer... can you use Alaska air cargo to transport powder and primers for reloading? If not, what's the best way to get them up? I checked with Canada Border Services and they said we couldn't drive them through

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
I'm not real sure on shipping the black powder and primers. Shipping regulations have changed since I worked there. Your best bet is to call. This is all the info that I could find on their website regarding ammunition.

What are ORM-D shipments?

Alaska Airlines shall accept certain limited commodities of dangerous goods under the U.S. Hazardous Materials Regulations, 49CFR. These shipments are considered Other Regulated Material for Domestic (ORM-D) transportation.
Cartridges, Small Arms
  • Certain small arms ammunition classed as Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed and transported as ORM-D material when packaged appropriately.
  • Maximum gross weight is limited to 30kg (66 lb) per package.
  • A 24-hour emergency contact number is required.
Applicable Items
  • Cartridges, small arms, that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to ammunition:
    • For rifle, pistol, or shotgun.
    • With inert projectiles or blank ammunition.
    • Having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles.
    • Not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.
Packaging
  • Packaging for cartridges, small arms, as ORM-D material must be as follows:
    • Must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
    • Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
    • Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packaging.
Consumer Commodity
  • U.S. Government regulations allow for small quantities of certain dangerous goods to be reclassed as consumer commodities, and shipped as ORM-D.
  • A Consumer Commodity is defined as a material that is packaged and distributed in a form intended or suitable for sale through retail sales agencies for consumption by individuals for personal care or household use (e.g., cosmetics).
  • Items shipped under 49CFR as Consumer Commodity do not carry a UN or ID number.
    • Proper shipping name is "Consumer Commodity."
    • Class or Division is listed as ORM-D.
    • Weight limit for Consumer commodity is 30 kg gross, (66 lb gross) per package.
    • Packaging requirement is a strong outer package; specification packaging is not required.
    • A 24-hour emergency phone number is not required.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Thanks again. The rep that called me back thinks that the powder and primer are allowable as consumer commodity ORM-D if packaged properly, but that the regulations may have changed recently. She's going to forward my inquiry to her supervisor for clarification. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: