Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,948 times

Advertisements

I are looking for some info in the Cantwell area. I have looked at
pictures but wondering if anyone can give me some firsthand information
as to the landscape, temperatures, how much sunshine there is in the
winter months, if it is a tourist location. Any information about the
area would be very helpful and very much appreciated.
Thanks Blaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,506 times
If it's the place I stopped two years ago driving from Anch to FB, there is next to nothing in Cantwell. It is a spot on the map with a gas station, including a small store, and a restaurant. The "area" would be just that - an area in the middle of nowhere. However, it you like "nowhere," then you'd love it! I actually didn't mind, but I wondered how long I could handle it. It's one of those places that its inhabitants "visit" and never leave. Interesting spot. It was nestled amongst hills/mountains and a river flowed within miles of it from what I remember. When I was there in June, it was cold and windy, light out but not sunny. The surrounding tundra was colorful and interesting. I would not say it is a tourist location by any means but a necessary stop, esp. if you need gasoline, which at that point you probably will. Hope you enjoyed it! (I see your post is 2006).

Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,804 times
Does anyone out there have any contacts in Cantwell? I understand that there are many local hunters/outdoor enthusiasts there. I would love to see wildlife and can't think of a better place. So please, if anyone has information on some local who might lend himself/herself to this, please leave a message.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
I stayed at a bed and breakfast for several days there, close to Denali Park, the B&B was owned and run by Kelly Williams and Rick Swenson, nice place, learned a bit about dogs while I was there. Really interesting people, loaded with local lore, stories, and tall tales, great senses of humor, hated leaving.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 AM

Dear Dusty,

You wouldn't have the number to the B&B would you? I just remember how small of a town it was. I made a stop along my way to Denali and got a sense that it was a very small town with a couple of residents (250+) but little else.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Dang, sorry, it was about 10 years ago, it may be in with all the other paperwork we still have from the trip, I'll see if I can find it this weekend. D

Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 PM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Cantwell is about 130 miles from Fairbanks. It is not really a "town" as you would think of a town. It is a wonderful place to hunt and snowmachine. If you want to be close to The High One then that would be the place to go.. It gets a lot of snow and the Susitna Valley has a tendency to get pretty chilly in the winter months. If you are looking for wildlife you are going to be in the right place.

I will give you this piece of advice and I learned this the hard way. ALWAYS remember you are in Alaska and not taking a walk in a park. As long as you give her the respect she deserves you will be alright. Get cocky, you might end up in a very very bad situation very very quickly.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Dear Crossfire:
I am well aware that Alaska is truly the last frontier. I passed through Cantwell two years ago in March. It was nippy. I am asking around hoping someone can put me in contact with an experienced Alaskan who would like to earn some money showing me around. I want to see all the wildlife I can get my hands on, and ALaska is perfect for that. So, please, if anyone knows of some contact please let me know.

Much abliged.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Menghi View Post
Dear Crossfire:
I am well aware that Alaska is truly the last frontier. I passed through Cantwell two years ago in March. It was nippy. I am asking around hoping someone can put me in contact with an experienced Alaskan who would like to earn some money showing me around. I want to see all the wildlife I can get my hands on, and ALaska is perfect for that. So, please, if anyone knows of some contact please let me know.

Much abliged.
I have a friend that does the tour thing for a living. She will even customize trips based on her clients needs. Let me check with her and I will get back to you. Now that the snowmachining season is over I am not sure how quick I can get a hold of her but as soon as I do I will let you know..

Last edited by Crossfire600; 05-14-2009 at 02:28 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 AM

Here is her website. Don't know why I thought I needed to get a hold of her she does this type of thing for a living.. It's late and I am tired...

She is a wonderfully fun individual and you won't be sorry..

4 Seasons Alaska Adventure

You can contact her through her website.. She will take care of you for sure!

If anyone else is interested in a special tour of Alaska please do contact her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: