Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 34,246 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and are both soon to be RN's and are looking to move to Alaska in the next few years. Both of us are HUGE into the outdoors and he's been ski patrol in Colorado for the past 5 years. Neither of us are big city people so Anchorage is not really a place we've considered (he also has family there and has been enough to want to look elsewhere!).

Two of the places that have really appealed to us are the Kodiak Peninsula (specifically somewhere like Homer) and Girdwood (I think that's where Alyeska is?). Has anyone ever lived in either of those areas? Does anyone know if nurse jobs are readily available?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
We live on the Kenai Peninsula. Kodiak is an Island.

My understanding is that Girdwood is much more expensive to live than it is here.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,232,179 times
Don't know if there is a clinic in Girdwood, but the lodge probably has a couple of medicos on call in season.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 AM

7 posts, read 34,246 times
Oops- You're right; Kenai Peninsula! I had just been looking at a map when I typed this- I don't know why I put Kodiak.

Also, that is one of our concerns with Girdwood. From my understanding it is a "resort" town and I'm not wanting to live in a place with mainly seasonal employment!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
If you're a nurse, the jobs are year-round here in Homer, but I'd check the state employment site to see if they're hiring. Many, if not most, jobs here are also seasonal. At least the ones that pay well.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Default depends on what's more critical

I suspect that the answer depends on what's more critical, the job or the skiing?

Girdwood is about the good option for downhill skiing other than the (quite expensive) heli-skiing operations. There are smaller downhill ski areas in Anchorage and Juneau, but Girdwood is the only major ski area in the state. Homer is a nice place to live and work, but the skiing there is pretty much all cross-country unless you're willing to drive the best part of day...up to Girdwood. Homer has a hospital, and while it's not all that big they do handle inpatient care and seem to keep fairly busy. Homer is really more of a fishing town, and the terrain there is much flatter. There's good cross-country skiing and great snowmachining thereabouts, but no downhill skiing to speak of.

Unless things have changed pretty radically since I left there's no hospital in Girdwood, not even really an urgent-care clinic that I know of. I'm sure there's perhaps a doctors office or two, but since it's less than an hours drive to Anchorage most people just go there for appointments. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to do that commute every day. It's a twisty, narrow, dangerous two-lane undivided highway right along the coast. When I say that I mean RIGHT along coast, as in no shoulder to speak of and only the occasional pullout between the skinny road and the icy, muddy waters of the Turnagain arm. They've pulled plenty of cars out of that water (not as many intact drivers) and it seems to be a magnet for every insane, reckless, and criminally aggressive driver in the state. It's the ONLY highway connecting the Kenai penninsula to the Anchorage area, and it's speed limit is both already too high and widely ignored. To add to the mix it crosses a couple of active avalanche areas and is subject to occasional closures in winter, though usually for less than a day.

I've worked with people that did live in Girdwood and work in Anchorage, but the ones that seemed happiest had the ability to consolidate their shifts into long stretches instead of driving both ways every single day. It's something to consider. Living and working in Anchorage (where there's LOTS of nursing jobs) and driving out on occasion to ski in Girdwood make a lot more sense.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,582 times
Well, I vote Homer if you really love a small town.
It's on the water and beautiful.
I lived there for 2 years - before I was a nurse.
It was hard financially - but the people were amazing and the town has culture. The library is small - but FULL of quality books. I have been in huge libraries and haven't found the selection available in Homer! The Spit is fun in the summer. The music is awesome. The whole place is incredible.

Now that I am an RN I want to move back.
This time around I can afford to live there in style!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to have to do that commute every day. It's a twisty, narrow, dangerous two-lane undivided highway right along the coast. When I say that I mean RIGHT along coast, as in no shoulder to speak of and only the occasional pullout between the skinny road and the icy, muddy waters of the Turnagain arm. They've pulled plenty of cars out of that water (not as many intact drivers) and it seems to be a magnet for every insane, reckless, and criminally aggressive driver in the state. It's the ONLY highway connecting the Kenai penninsula to the Anchorage area, and it's speed limit is both already too high and widely ignored. To add to the mix it crosses a couple of active avalanche areas and is subject to occasional closures in winter, though usually for less than a day.

I've worked with people that did live in Girdwood and work in Anchorage, but the ones that seemed happiest had the ability to consolidate their shifts into long stretches instead of driving both ways every single day. It's something to consider. Living and working in Anchorage (where there's LOTS of nursing jobs) and driving out on occasion to ski in Girdwood make a lot more sense.
Ditto this post! When you're in the lower 48 looking at a map, Girdwood and Wasilla look like reasonable places to reside and commute from. I commute from Wasilla only after I got here to see what the roads are like. I would not commute from Girdwood. No way. Tons of people tried to explain the road dynamic to us before our move, but I think ya gotta see it to realize they're right.
There is plenty of need for RN's in Anchorage, and plenty of places to live......and lots of days off to go to Alyeska

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss JC View Post
Well, I vote Homer if you really love a small town.
It's on the water and beautiful.
I lived there for 2 years - before I was a nurse.
It was hard financially - but the people were amazing and the town has culture. The library is small - but FULL of quality books. I have been in huge libraries and haven't found the selection available in Homer! The Spit is fun in the summer. The music is awesome. The whole place is incredible.

Now that I am an RN I want to move back.
This time around I can afford to live there in style!
Congrats on the degree, and I am looking to spend more time down there this next summer

Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM

374 posts, read 1,126,003 times
We lived in Girdwood for over 5 years. There are many nurses who live there and work in ANchorage. There is a small urgent care clinic, but they do not employ nurses, not big enough. Many people who lived in Girdwood would network, rent some small apartment in Anchorage to stay in during your long shifts, or carpool. It is about a 45 minute drive on a good day. I didn't really like the drive and had many sketchy moments in the winter, but for me, it was worth it. Yes, Girdwood is a resort town, and it is expensive, but it is also funky, lots of live music, artsy fartsy stuff, great outdoor activities right out the back door. If it weren't for the cost of buying a house, I would probably still be there, but I noticed there are 66 houses on the market in Girdwood! Many people had second vacation homes down there and are now bailing out. You might get a good deal. I loved it. Lots of younger couples, safe environment, good schools. You can ski, hike, bike, walk, run, climb without ever getting in your car. THey have bike paths and it is a very friendly town. I can't speak to HOmer since I have not lived there, but I think Girdwood would be right up your alley. If you can, go visit, stay in a Bed & Breakfast, talk to people. You'll know right away if it is your kind of place. There are at least a dozen nurses that I know of that are living there and working in Anchorage. Yes, the road can be scary, but it is all about what you want in life. It would be a similar road to the two-laners leading into Estes Park- windy and sometimes slick, but if you drive samrt and know when to stay in Anchorage, you'll be okay. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska