Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 60,492 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Tok, Alaska...I chose Tok after spending much time corresponding with a real estate agent in regard. I am also relocating with several pets (this may be the biggest challenge-driving across the Canadian border with all of them!). I would be looking to raise goats and other small farm animals as well but was told that the nearest shelter is in Fairbanks and also, the nearest vet is in Delta Junction. How long of a drive is it from Tok to these two cities? Are there auctions for livestock? Fairs where they can be purchased/adopted? (I would assume so but am abiding the golden rule of "never assume..." LOL!) Also, how costly is it to heat your home? Properties in Tok look reasonable and, what I've seen on the web via cyber tours, the properties and the surrounding area are absolutely gorgeous but I'd like to get an idea from people who live in Tok how expensive it is to live there. I live in CT and taxes have grown apace here; I'm hoping to find someplace to live where the cost of living isn't so staggering. And to make a new start in life. Last question: what employment opportunities are there in Tok? Surrounding areas? PS I would also like to meet a few people via the Net before making such a move; it would be nice to somewhat know someone when I get there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM

115 posts, read 616,210 times
To determine the distances get Mapquest and just enter TOK and Delta Junction as locations and it will tell you exact milage. TOK has only about 1400 people so not many jobs. You should check alaska state employment for job availability. Alaska is not the best place to raise animals because of the long winters and rain and cold. The real estate person in TOK should be able to tell you cost of heat. Also, be sure and verify water quality and availability also septic availability before purchase. Because of the 'perma-frost' you will not find much grazing areas for small farm animals. If your animals need shots and help with birthing you should plan on DIY. Snow starts in Sept.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,490,599 times
Default Tok = middle of nowhere

If you're looking for some space and a little relief from having pesky neighbors around, you're looking in the right place. Tok is about as close to being in the middle of nowhere as you can get and still be on the road system. If it's got 1400 people listed as living there, they must be including everyone who gets their mail at the local post office and maybe counting their dogs too. If you intend to raise grazing animals there, be prepaired for a sky-high cost of hay and forage, it'll be largely imported either from Canada or the Palmer area.

Have you considered raising moose instead?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,676,400 times
Tok was a highway motel stop on my move up and move back from the lower 48. I believe there is one decent motel, and one crummy one. A couple of gas stations. A few log cabins. Think very carefully about moving to Tok!!! This may be probably one of the most isolated cities in the United States, despite it being on the Al-Can highway. However, with satellite TV, you can keep in touch with all the cable channels! So, unlike 30 years ago, today you can watch Oprah, Judge Judy, and MTV's sweet 16 marathons, just like anywhere else!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:03 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,446,603 times
HI,
Tok is about 200 mile south east of Fairbanks and about 100 miles south east of Delta. Like Delta Tok can get really cold even by Alaskan's standards.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 AM

17 posts, read 60,492 times
Hi, Rotorhead,
Is the expense of forage for the animals so high just in Tok because it's so isolated? Or is this true for all of rural Alaska? Do you know if some of the bigger cities allow raising livestock along the outskirts at least? I've been trying to research different towns in AK. The real estate agent I contacted in Tok has been most helpful but I wanted to post here and get "laymans" opinions...i.e. the real skinny on how it might be without the real estate agent's incentive to make a sale. I'm a single female hoping to start a small scale farm; employment will be an issue, I'm sure, and, as I mentioned in my first thread, trying to cross the Canadian border with my 4 legged family in tow may prove too big a challenge in the long run--I may never get to AK but I'd like to know as much as I can about it (and am planning a trip possibly late winter, early spring; want a good feel for the winter temps ahead of time!) before I give up on another dream. Appreciate your response! Thank you!

Herbal Kitty

Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 AM

145 posts, read 571,044 times
I can't remember who from this forum wrote this to me, but..."I would never do anything without actually seeing the property" saved me from a world of hurt.

I just got back...and before I went, I was so determined that I wanted to be in a specific area. After going there...I found that it wasn't for me. However, I previously had thought the Wasilla area was not for me, and found out otherwise. Weird, huh? Every area has a specific aura to it.

There are many areas (that I saw) in the Wasilla/Palmer area that are *waaaaaaaaaay* out there....where people do have animals...use hydro for electric...cut all their own wood for building and heat. The guy we saw had goats, chickens, DOGS, and rabbits.

Pictures can do only so much, and man-oh-man am I glad I made the trip before I committed to an area and or property.

Good luck...what you are doing is sorta-kinda like what we are going to do.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 PM

115 posts, read 616,210 times
One thing TOK brags? about is having a VERY COLD temp - how does a recorded -70 sound? - If you have to have animals for something other than sled transportation you would be better off on the outside like Oregon or Washington. If you can do with out them and you need a job you MUST check out the jobs site that someone else mentioned. It is a list of all jobs available in the state. If you can match your job then you also have the city.

I have spent time in Kodiak and Glennallen and my dad was from 15 miles south of the Artic Circle.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM

624 posts, read 1,162,292 times
Default Tok

I sent you a private message with some helpful information.

Also, I asked the question on this forum recently, about transporting numerous dogs from the lower 48 to Alaska, if you search , it will show up with some good advice that I received.

One other thing , I don't think was mentioned, was that area was the scene of a huge forest fire several years ago. Although that can happen anywhere in Alaska, I think it happens more in the interior and up in the Tok, Delta Junction area too.

This is a great website for the Delta Junction area, their newspaper.

www.deltanewsweb.com

Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,415 times
Default you will LOVE Tok

Honestly though you may not, its not for everyone, it has excellent winters (my Opinion) averaging around -50. job opportunities that will still give you enough time to look after your 4-legged family, include Waitress, and possibly a job at the refuge office or the local store... Will they make enough money for you to support your 4-legged family? I'm sorry to say not unless you get a job with the refuge. There are other job opportunities but those are the first that come to mind. Also the local Westmark Hotel is ALWAYS hiring in the summer. The nearest Vet is 2hours away in Delta. I believe they have a fair there, but there is none to my knowledge in Tok, and I have Lived there for the past 18 years. If you can afford it though I hope to see you in Tok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska