Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

959 posts, read 2,353,850 times

Advertisements

Well after a long hiatus I'm back on the board. My seasonal schedule is crazy, not to mention finances dictated I get rid of all luxuries for a while (I still consider the Internet a luxury, silly me).

Miss ya all on the board! Hope all is well with you.
Of all things, last weekend I drove up to Naukati to see the Mud Bogs--guess they're famous now after being televised nationally on Speed channel last year. Holy cow. Not necessarily POW's finest group of folks; but nobody got stabbed--at least, as far as I know--as I don't drink anymore, the Bogs are not a place I hang out at for too long! Sorta fun, I guess. For a short time!

Fishing slow--only 2 30-lb halibut so far, but then again, been too busy to go very often the last 3 weeks or so. Trolled for Kings a couple times; no dice. Did net a few sockeye before they closed Hatchery Creek last week.

Lots of new seasonal workers in town! What with the fish processing plant going up, and the new Craig clinic, perhaps we'll get some much-needed new blood in town!

One question for anyone; where's a good (and fairly cheap but not dirty cheap) place you'd highly recommend to go soak in the sun for a couple weeks in winter? I'm WAY OVERDUE to get off the rock and go travel a bit--I like snorkeling and would like to charter fish for some cool different species--anyone got an in on a good place, or a timeshare perhaps? Wanna go this fall/winter. I'm gettin stir crazy--haven't been off the island (except one work trip to Seattle and KTN, of course) for 5 years!!!

Take care all.
Alaskagrl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,953,555 times
Welcome back to the boards! Good to hear from you, finally...

Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 AM

26,521 posts, read 36,390,122 times
Friends don't let friends go to Naukati.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,682,950 times
Midwinter flights to Hawaii are usually reasonable. There are even dividend rates or packages. I do have a buddy that has a time share there. I could maybe ask him about it as he is currently here at work.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Hi guys! Yeah, Naukati is kind of like entering the Twilight Zone...but not somewheere I plan to spend a lot of time..there are actually some nicer homes for sale there, in my price range, but...don't think I could do it!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Midwinter flights to Hawaii are usually reasonable. There are even dividend rates or packages. I do have a buddy that has a time share there. I could maybe ask him about it as he is currently here at work.
Don't know if Hawaii is in my price range or not...but if I could find a cheaper place to stay, I could handle the flight cost. That would be pretty cool if I could hook up with someone who has a timeshare--like a small apartment or something--that they would rent cheap; I'd go at any time that was convenient for them and then they could make some bank. I'd make sure they knew I was on the up and up.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,929,555 times
Hey, welcome back!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,682,950 times
I'll run it past him and see when his week or two is, and see if they'd consider it. He offered it to me a while back because they were not going over...but I've never been to Hawaii and really have never had any desire to go.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,770,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I'll run it past him and see when his week or two is, and see if they'd consider it. He offered it to me a while back because they were not going over...but I've never been to Hawaii and really have never had any desire to go.
You never know, once Sweden is back here...retreating to a sandy beach, heat versus -20 or -40...or...little grass hut, little drinks with umbrellas...not needing layers of clothes...ya might change your mind...

Old 06-21-2009, 04:50 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,898,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Don't know if Hawaii is in my price range or not...but if I could find a cheaper place to stay, I could handle the flight cost. That would be pretty cool if I could hook up with someone who has a timeshare--like a small apartment or something--that they would rent cheap; I'd go at any time that was convenient for them and then they could make some bank. I'd make sure they knew I was on the up and up.
I found a great condo on ebay four years ago. It was on the Big Island, two bedrooms, two baths, on a golf course, complex had three swimming pools-one heated(!), and it was $89/night. People told me I was being scammed. Didn't happen. But, I would be leery today, I just read an article about people renting places they don't own.

Oh, here's three halibut we caught last week end using the dog salmon I caught as bait,

They told me to hold it up for the picture...yeah, right!

Even with help, I couldn't lift it. The locals tell me that the 'local' halibut are white on the underside. The two little one's in the above picture have white under bellies. My halibut's underside is pink which they tell me means it was a 'traveler' from down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska