U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 AM

31 posts, read 132,213 times

Advertisements

Im looking into both of these cities as possible places to move, but I know very little about each one, other than what I've read on wikipedia, which, let's face it, isn't always accurate (and it's pretty general info. as well, nothing about actually living there). So I'm asking, which do you prefer and why? Differences in climate? Safety? Employment opportunities? Real estate? Quality of life? Activities? Natural setting? Basically I'm looking for a complete run-down on life in each of these places and I prefer hearing it from actual human beings who know these places first-hand rather than online articles. Thanks, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM

5,356 posts, read 17,516,382 times
I guess my preference is Juneau, since I live here. As to why, the first reason is a job brought me here. Juneau is bigger and is the state capital, so it has more amenities. That can be good and bad. The good is that prices are cheaper and choices are greater. The bad is that it's harder for small businesses to survive.

That's not to say that there is anything wrong with Sitka. I've always liked Sitka for it's setting with it looking like a small fishing village. I've only visited Sitka, so while I know there are many recreational opportunities there, I have no knowledge of other opportunities.

I think either city is a safe place to live, but Juneau, being a bigger city, will have more crime. Job-wise, Juneau has more opportunities because it is the capital with many state jobs. There are numerous recreational opportunities and cultural events here. Also, there are more flights and ferry sailings in and out of Juneau.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,484,680 times
Right now...unless you're health, state govt, or city job related, there isn't a whole helluva lot going on in JNU, Sitka has even less to offer.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:56 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,207,965 times
Default housing costs

Housing costs are going to be an issue, neither of those cities boast wages that even remotely compensate for the outrageous house prices. Sitka seem particularly bad in that respect, do some checking around.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM

4,432 posts, read 5,787,007 times
Juneau is 4x larger and has a more diverse economy. I lived in Juneau for 10 years and had a federal job. Sitka is really much more limited to tourism and commercial fishing. Most of the friends I had in Sitka pretty much seemed to make do with a variety of different jobs throughout the year to get by. I think it would be MUCH MUCH harder to land a job in Sitka.

That said, in terms of Geography. Juneau lies along an interior fjord. It is surrounded by water and mountains but is 100 miles from the actual open ocean. So the weather is a bit harsher and colder than Sitka. Juneau has much easier ways out of town. More frequent flights and ferry service. And there is just more highway and land within Juneau to explore. Juneau also has a nice little downhill ski area if you like to ski.

Sitka sound actually faces the open Pacific ocean so it feels more maritime and the weather is warmer. Sitka has some of the most gorgeous cold-water scuba diving of anywhere on the planet. If you like to dive or think you might want to learn then Sitka is as good as it gets. Juneau also has nice diving but the water is more turbid due to the runoff.

If I was a loner and was looking for a place to retire on a pretty patch of shoreline with a boat then Sitka would be my choice. If I was younger and moving to Alaska to look for work, a place to live, and a city where I'm likely to meet others then Juneau would be the obvious choice....if not Anchorage.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 AM

319 posts, read 900,323 times
Default sitka,sitka,kita,

yep sitka is for me.halibit,black cod,tie gear till your hands bleed.scrub the boat,paint the boat,mend purse saine.play with the lead line,play with the rings.splice lines,brown crab,king crab,pinks,reds,silvers,king,(red&white),chum,rave ns,sea otters,seals,endless nights with lots&lots of work to do,boats everywhere,the pioner bar(the office),classic boats,icey qween,claudia h,estella,phenix,martha k,quaker maid,north wind,sunset,mule deer,rember after the fishing season we'd load the boat with ice get lawn chairs a small bbq a few six packs we'd sit in our lawn chairs cruise around the islands & shoot mule deer.dress em ice em and we'd give them to the elderly and such. we used to go to j but i like sitka!and god bless u herman kitka i miss u rip.

Last edited by unconscious; 08-06-2009 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: sitka huh!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 AM

21,368 posts, read 34,921,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
yep sitka is for me.halibit,black cod,tie gear till your hands bleed.scrub the boat,paint the boat,mend purse saine.play with the lead line,play with the rings.splice lines,brown crab,king crab,pinks,reds,silvers,king,(red&white),chum,rave ns,sea otters,seals,endless nights with lots&lots of work to do,boats everywhere,the pioner bar(the office),classic boats,icey qween,claudia h,estella,phenix,martha k,quaker maid,north wind,sunset,mule deer,rember after the fishing season we'd load the boat with ice get lawn chairs a small bbq a few six packs we'd sit in our lawn chairs cruise around the islands & shoot mule deer.dress em ice em and we'd give them to the elderly and such. we used to go to j but i like sitka!and god bless u herman kitka i miss u rip.
Thankyouforusingthespacebar...

Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM

319 posts, read 900,323 times
Default huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Thankyouforusingthespacebar...
whats a spacebar? i didnt know they had a bar on the space station!

Last edited by unconscious; 08-08-2009 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: need drink

Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM

4,986 posts, read 9,068,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
whats a spacebar?
Those things the astronauts eat in orbit.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 24,743 times
Oh my goodness think i will love Sitka if I move there sounds like my kinda folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska