Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:58 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Don't feel bad Delaneyland...I've never had a GPS and would have no idea how to turn one on. But I can read a map and compass. And yes you can use the sun for time of day and direction. What gets me is when I get into heavy forest where any mountains are blocked from view. They are a great landmark...but only if you can see them.
Thanks Rance, maybe I should have been more clear in my post. I understand HOW G.P.S. works, but the little thing in my hand is just smarter than I am, I have difficulty getting the thing to function. I liked the tutorial Rotor, but my problem is my etrex has so many functions it makes me woozy. For now, I think I better stick with maps and my trusty Silva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default the "L" word

Love that quote from the Red Green show....."if I have to, I guess"

As to the "L-word"....ain't nothin shameful about being lost. The way I figure most every new "discovery" in history has been the result of some explorer type wandering around with pretty much NO idea of where he actually is, sorta making it up as he goes along and accidentally stumbling on something worth finding. Many of my more enjoyable road trips have been deliberately destination-free, just seeing whats out there. Of course by Alaska standards you're a long way from being truely lost if you're still on a paved road, but thats another issue entirely.

The issue that I'm personally beating to death here is that when folks push the panic button and call for the rescue crew, they'd better be able to tell them where to go. Not only is it a waste of scarce resources to have the helicopter circling around trying to find you, but if you REALLY need it, time is of the essence. "Come get me right here" works way, way, better than "Come get me out here somewhere in this general area, I think".

You'd be surprised how difficult it can be to spot someone or something from the air, even if you know where you're supposed to be looking. Even big stuff like boats and trucks and such just aren't that visible until you're right on top of them, and forget all about "I'm the one in the red jacket". You're a teeny-tiny almost invisible speck in a big, big world unless you've got a trick up your sleeve like a flaregun or a burning tire or a signal mirror (yes, they really DO work).

The guys flying the rescue aircraft really try to get to know the area they're working in, but consider that even within a flight radius of just a hundred miles that means you're expecting them to memorize an area of over 300,000 square miles. They'll never know that ATV trail to your fishing cabin even remotely as well as you do, let alone all the nicknames that might be common knowledge locally but never make it onto any map. Heck, even stuff that IS on the map is often impossible to sort out. Try looking in the index of the Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer to see how many "Fish Creeks" and "Bear Canyons" there are sometime, it'll be an eye-opener.

My issue is not with those who can take care of themselves and are well prepared, they tend not to get in trouble in the first place. Its with the guys that'll easily **** away $100 just on beer during a weekend off-roading but somehow think a $99 GPS is a waste of money. They're always the first to call 911 on a cell-phone thats almost out of batteries, trying to get immediate help for their drunk buddy who drove over a cliff with no helmet. Somehow they never seem to know where they are, but think the rescue helicopter should be able to find them anyway.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
EHC

1 posts, read 2,571 times
Default Can you be tracked for safety if you have a GPS?

Maybe you can help. I've just started researching GPS for my father who hikes extensively in remote areas alone, often areas with no cell phone reception (Catskill, Shawangunk Mountains). He's very computer/electronically savvy but for some reason has not bought a GPS.

What I can't determine is if he is injured, and can't call for help on a cell phone, will the GPS help? Can we track him down? Can he send out a signal for help? I haven't been able to find that directly stated. I'm sure the mapping/tracking functions would be very useful as well, but I'm really trying to find one that will help him be found.

Do you know of any helpful GPS guides?

Thank you.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHC View Post
Maybe you can help. I've just started researching GPS for my father who hikes extensively in remote areas alone, often areas with no cell phone reception (Catskill, Shawangunk Mountains). He's very computer/electronically savvy but for some reason has not bought a GPS.

What I can't determine is if he is injured, and can't call for help on a cell phone, will the GPS help? Can we track him down? Can he send out a signal for help? I haven't been able to find that directly stated. I'm sure the mapping/tracking functions would be very useful as well, but I'm really trying to find one that will help him be found.

Do you know of any helpful GPS guides?

Thank you.
One can buy an emergency locator beacon, Personal Locator Beacons were approved for use a few years ago.

I don't know of one that's packaged with a GPS for dual use, although they do use,(some of them), GPS to help the Coast Guard locate someone.

The older ones only 'locate' in a range of 2 or 3 miles square, the newer ones maybe a football field sized area.

Google personal locator beacons, and remember to register it if you buy one.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
I have the Garmin 2620 and the hand held 76cs.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
User2 is correct. You can buy a hand held directional GPS (Garmin, etc...) or buy a GPS enabled PLB.
I persoanlly don't know of anything that does both.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,565 times
I'd just as soon people didn't buy all the new technology.

Most of the time it makes them think they can go off in the brush without being able to take care of themselves without it.

From ATV's to cell phones, to GPS and locators. All it usually means is they go out and find they need help and then they call out someone to come rescue them.

I don't mean to sound too hard hearted, but too often these people are stretching the need.

Too often, if they just had some bush skills, or even a small amount of common sense, the helicopters, the Coast Guard, and the ground parties wouldn't be out there risking their necks trying to 'save' them.

Far too often, if you took away their cell phones, their ATV's, their GPS and their locators, they wouldn't even try to go out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see some kind of review done and if they were just being incautious, bill them the full amount for the rescue.

I'm not in agreement that we should scramble all resources just to save another person that had no business off the road in the first place.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
I think we are obligated to go save them, but they should pay for the rescue in many cases. As it is, my tax money is being wasted away on crap we don't need, I don't want money I could be putting toward my education being used to save every Joe California and his uncle who thinks it would be fun to be like Survivorman and jump out of an airplane in some godforsaken corner of the state with no means of keeping himself alive.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHC View Post
Take a look at the following which just hit the market in the last couple of months: http://findmespot.com/default.aspx (broken link)

For the lower 48, should be just about perfect. Came across it two days ago on my favorite gear shop's site and I'm seriously considering it for use up here in the Interior (service IS limited for my area because of the earth's tilt, etc...but I'm still doing research).

As for everyone else, this is my first post here...found your forum while searching for Alaska Airlines mileage plans of all things. Live in the Fairbanks area and am a pilot with the local Dustoff unit which covers MEDEVAC and MAST between the Brooks and Alaska Ranges (ie Interior). Introduction out of the way

Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I think we are obligated to go save them, but they should pay for the rescue in many cases. As it is, my tax money is being wasted away on crap we don't need, I don't want money I could be putting toward my education being used to save every Joe California and his uncle who thinks it would be fun to be like Survivorman and jump out of an airplane in some godforsaken corner of the state with no means of keeping himself alive.
My Dear, your starting to sound like a Republican! "tax dollars wasted" LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska