Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM

244 posts, read 1,224,274 times

Advertisements

When we were stationed in Germany we tried everything we could to get orders to Alaska when our tour was up. It didn't happen and we ended up in Vegas (which we loved). My husband has been out of active duty for about 5 years now and we are missing all the traveling and new experiences we got to do while in the military. So, the other day we thought..."lets move to Alaska." Only thing is, I'm sure it cost a fortune to move ourselves. Plus, there is finding a job thing! So, I have a few questions to see if this would be something we could do in the next year or so. My husband is a Security Police Officer who makes about 70k a year. What do police officers get paid there?? Is it easy to get on the force? What area would be the best to live in with good housing prices, shopping, things for kids to do, good schools, low crime?? Maybe once we got all these questions answered we'll see that Alaska is not for us. But, the kids are excited to move and have told all their friends already...even though it was just a thought from us! So, I would appreciate any thoughts from those that live there! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannewright View Post
When we were stationed in Germany we tried everything we could to get orders to Alaska when our tour was up. It didn't happen and we ended up in Vegas (which we loved). My husband has been out of active duty for about 5 years now and we are missing all the traveling and new experiences we got to do while in the military. So, the other day we thought..."lets move to Alaska." Only thing is, I'm sure it cost a fortune to move ourselves. Plus, there is finding a job thing! So, I have a few questions to see if this would be something we could do in the next year or so. My husband is a Security Police Officer who makes about 70k a year. What do police officers get paid there?? Is it easy to get on the force? What area would be the best to live in with good housing prices, shopping, things for kids to do, good schools, low crime?? Maybe once we got all these questions answered we'll see that Alaska is not for us. But, the kids are excited to move and have told all their friends already...even though it was just a thought from us! So, I would appreciate any thoughts from those that live there! Thanks
I would think work would be here for a security and/or police officer. It depends whether you want to live in the city or further out, housing can be a little more spendy all over, but for sure in Anchorage. If serious you may want to take a trip to physically look at different areas you may be interested in, or check local newspapers (check Alaska ?'s sticky thread). What I would question is you say you miss the traveling and new experiences, this is an expensive move you are speaking of undertaking for that reason, and then to go on somewhere else when the need comes up again, the cost will be even more. If you loved Vegas, Alaska is probably very near the opposite end of the spectrum when you think extremes. Just something to think about, as most things are more expensive here, it is cold and dark in the winter, and cool in the summer. No swimming in the ocean here

Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM

I know what you mean about taking a trip to check it out first. I thought I'd start here initially and go from there. The kids and I loved Vegas, but my husband did not! We also loved Germany and it rained there all the time, it all rains in Seattle all the time and I hate it there!! It's not the weather, it's the traffic, crime...blah blah blah. I know Alaska would be totally different and that's what interests us. I figured things were more expensive there, but I was also hoping that jobs paid more to make up for the difference??? If we moved, we'd stay put awhile! Plus, I don't like swimming in the ocean anyway

Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,051,400 times
Well, you can swim in the ocean - but you may sink under the weight of all the gear you'd have to wear to keep warm

I second the advice to come out here prior to making any definite decisions. Another thing...if you have any debt (credit cards, bills, etc) try and have it either paid off or whittled down to near nothing...it will help IMMENSELY with the cost of things here.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Well, you can swim in the ocean - but you may sink under the weight of all the gear you'd have to wear to keep warm

I second the advice to come out here prior to making any definite decisions. Another thing...if you have any debt (credit cards, bills, etc) try and have it either paid off or whittled down to near nothing...it will help IMMENSELY with the cost of things here.
Thanks! We have 2 houses here we'd have to sell 1st. One is a rental and the other we live in...so we definitely would sell those before we moved! I appreciate your comments!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,486,808 times
Here's a link to Anchorage's police recruitment info:

Police Officer Career

Here's a link to Juneau's continuous recruitment notice:

The City and Borough of Juneau Homepage

And here is Fairbanks' info:

City of Fairbanks Police Department: Employment (http://www.ci.fairbanks.ak.us/departments/police/employment.htm - broken link)

I have no idea if there are any openings in any of the locations.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Here's a link to Anchorage's police recruitment info:

Police Officer Career

Here's a link to Juneau's continuous recruitment notice:

The City and Borough of Juneau Homepage

And here is Fairbanks' info:

City of Fairbanks Police Department: Employment (http://www.ci.fairbanks.ak.us/departments/police/employment.htm - broken link)

I have no idea if there are any openings in any of the locations.
Thanks akck

Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Also, there is an Outback Steakhouse in Anchorage, right? I have been working at this Outback for 4 1/2 yrs and I "should" be able to easily transfer. I was wondering how tips were there? That would give me an idea of what kind of $ I could make

Old 11-06-2008, 05:34 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,959,802 times
Quote:
Also, there is an Outback Steakhouse in Anchorage, right? I have been working at this Outback for 4 1/2 yrs and I "should" be able to easily transfer. I was wondering how tips were there? That would give me an idea of what kind of $ I could make
Don't know, we've never actually been inside. The place is always completely packed whenever we go by, so that should give you some idea.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 PM

457 posts, read 1,010,683 times
Quote:
Thanks! We have 2 houses here we'd have to sell 1st. One is a rental and the other we live in...so we definitely would sell those before we moved! I appreciate your comments!

Sue , get rid of your R.E. there asap. We may be seeing a little boost here the next 4 months cause the sheep think youknowwho is gonna save US. Sell into this strength or stand losing another 30% going forward.

In Alakshak rent . In 3 years R.E. will be 30% down minimum from these levels. Buy the best get Marty on it.

Unless your fairly well heeled dont buy. Home is top priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska