Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM

65 posts, read 161,208 times

Advertisements

We are planning a road trip from Colorado to Alaska and back again in May-June time frame. We can't decide whether to drive the Prius or to use the F-150 (worktruck version, nothing fancy) and lightweight fifth wheel camper. Route is not yet decided on, but this will be a first-time touristy trip to Alaska.

I'd like some opinions on what we should drive.

Truck and camper benefits: We will have our stuff in the camper and will not have to look for rooms every night. We are ok w/ being self-contained for a night, so are not tied to campgrounds. If we find an area we like we'd be more comfortable spending a few extra days for the heck of it than if we were renting a room. And a truck is tougher than a Prius. Higher off the ground, anyway.

Prius benefits: We'd not be dragging the camper. Mileage 40+ mpg, compared to truck w/ camper 10 mpg or so.

I've looked at an awful lot of pix of AlCan and Alaska generally, and seldom do I see the narrow side-of-a-mountain roads that I hate to drive w/ the camper in tow, but they must be out there, on main routes, yes?

OK, opinions from those in the know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
I've done the AlCan in a UHaul towing a car and it was fine. There are a couple of places where you need to drive carefully because the road is a little narrow, the shoulder non-existent or the embankment is sloped funny; but most of the road is fine and "easy" (it's made for semi's after all).

In May/June you might run into some serious mud and potholes/frost heaves, so the height and suspension of the truck might be better than the Prius. Also, this is serious highway driving, you can go hours without any traffic so you might not get as good gas mileage on the Prius because the regen braking isn't helping charge your battery and you're running the engine most of the time.

Having your own mobile HQ is always handy on long distance trips, and campgrounds & rest stops are much cheaper than hotel rooms. The only nasty thing about campers and trailers is that it's sometimes a bit difficult to maneuver in some of the smaller towns and around the gas pumps, etc.

I think either vehicle could make the drive the AlCan... but some of the roads in AK can be a problem for both. It depends on where you're planning to go, there are some roads I wouldn't want to be hauling a camper on; but those are roads I probably wouldn't want to be driving the little Prius on either.

Considering the cost of hotel and restaurants on the road, you might actually break even with the loss of gas mileage taking the trailer. My advice would be to pick up a Milepost, and figure the costs of taking the truck & camper against the cost of taking the Prius. If the Prius saves you less than, say, $200, it would definitely be more beneficial to take the truck if you're planning to go anywhere off the major highways in AK. If you plan to go exploring, pitch the camper in a campground and take the unencumbered truck... it'll hold up much better on the back roads.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
This guy drove the Alcan in winter in a F-150 pulling a trailer, it's a good read and he has some good tips.

AlCan Winter Road Trip (http://rockymtnmag.com/Alcan/drivingtips.htm - broken link)

How to Drive to Alaska in the Summer - ExploreNorth

Old 01-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Oh, I love the Alcan!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM

84 posts, read 326,673 times
your car will take a little bit of a beating, 60+ miles construction and heaves. The truck does much better on the road. The money saved on hotels will cover the gas costs. I don't know how many miles are on your toyota but the trip will decline its value.
Attached Thumbnails
F-150 or Prius?-day4-062.jpg  

Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
I've driven the Alcan many times (6), and our last trip we drove a Chevy S-10 towing a trailor from Florida to Alaska. (yes...it was grossly underpowered, and slow...16 days!) Either one of your vehicles will do the trick. However, my vote is with the others: take the F-150 and trailer. The benefits of being able to pull over and camp when you are tired, into the nearest wayside or campground, far outweigh the advantage of "saving gas" with the Prius. You will not have to worry about hotels being "booked full" either. Yes, the Prius will save on gas, but I have a feeling that the money you save on gas would be spent anyway on motels/hotels along the way, and they are not cheap during the summer months. With the camper, you won't need hotels.
And....you have to consider comfort along the way. Are you going to load down the Prius wall-to-wall, and to the ceiling with all your stuff that you will needing for the trip? I mean: suitcases, clothes, food, and all the other stuff you will need? If you are taking the truck and trailor: no problem...you'll have plenty of room.
Once you are in Alaska, you'll find that camper to be a valuable asset. There are places to camp all over the place...lots of rest stops, waysides, pull-offs, old side roads, campgrounds, etc just everywhere you look. There's no law that says you can't use them to camp in, so I'd go for it. Even the campgrounds that you have to pay a fee aren't that much, maybe $15 a night. (vs $85 to $100, or so, for a hotel) (more in some places...up to $150)
Take the F-150 and camper. You won't regret it.

Bud

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,948 times
I totally agree w/'Warpt', Bud',and Missg'. I personally would never drive a car up to Alaska unless it is "well seasoned" but reliable, of course. You can expect at least some frontal chipped paint and almost certainly, a rock chip or 2 on the windshield from flying rocks. Also, overnite expenses are rather high unless you nap in your car part of the time. W/a trailer or camper, the sleeping arrangements, cleanup and meals are solved cheaply. For ol folks, a handy restroom is a must. Of course, I do have this phobia of sleeping better in my own bed. I've travelled up to AK from the lower 48 nearly every year since 97' and, having my own living quarter is now a given. God willing, if I should find a place up there this year, I will drive my F-250 instead of my RV but I most certainly will have a camper or pull a trailer. Good luck on your trip.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 AM

65 posts, read 161,208 times
Milepost talks about the Rocky Mtns crossing north of Fort Nelson as being a bit steep and narrow. Although I guess for only 150 miles anything can be done. What do y'all think of that area?

And thanks for all the good advice regarding our choice of truck or car. We appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Every type of vehicle you can imagine has made the trip. You shouldn't have any trouble. I've done it in a 51 chevy pickup, pick-up and camper, pick-up pulling a trailer, station wagon etc. Was no trouble.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM

If a semi can make the drive anyone can! This is north of Fort Nelson in the Northern Rockies.

After the first big climb going north from Fort Nelson. This is looking southbound on the Alcan near Steamboat Mountain.

Muncho Lake

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska