Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I'm glad I'm recording it all.
Thanks Jersey, tonight I just might be able to watch the whole show, though I kind of doubt it. I still want to get up good and early to get outside, sunrise sounds good to me.
It was a marvellous series, beautifully put together by Ken Burns and his writer Dayton Duncan. I suggest that you watch it piece by piece over 5-6 days, and not in one marathon sitting. There is much to digest and reflect on. It brought to my mind many thoughts I first learnt as a boy from the writings of Bertrand Russell, as well as the wisdom of the sages of my ancient land. But this great story is uniquely American and can be found nowhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
It is a great series. I like how they jump around and change subjects.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
But this great story is uniquely American and can be found nowhere else.

OK, now I'm, pissed. I had a great slam all laid out, I was going to bring up your old thread where you jumped all over us Alaskans for describing our state as "unique". I'm sure you remember that one. But apparently the thought-police have deleted that thread. This censorship thing is really getting quite tedious.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
OK, now I'm, pissed. I had a great slam all laid out, I was going to bring up your old thread where you jumped all over us Alaskans for describing our state as "unique".
You can describe "your" state as "unique" till the cows come home. It doesn't say much. After all, one can as well say "Himalayas are unique," "Sahara desert is unique," "Serengeti is unique," "Greeenland is unique," "Siberia is unique," "The Nile is unique," "Antarctica is unique" - you get the idea.

Now, the process by which the idea - and the idea itself - of the American National Parks originated, cleaved through the fog of initial uncertainty & resistance, survived the assaults of powerful vested interests both commercial and political, and eventually fructified into the establishment we have today - that is a uniquely American experience.

Moose, please reflect on this and you will realize how silly you really are

Old 10-03-2009, 04:59 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Tonights episode had major focus on Alaska....very interesting.
Yeah but they sorta skipped over people's homes being burned down by the NPS, the NPS harassment of inholders (to the present day), NPS at times stopping private rescues in parks resulting in deaths, glossed over the fact that many were locked out of hunting areas they'd hunted for years despite promises to the contrary (despite Congress making it so hunting would be allowed the NPS is an anti-hunting agency so it hasn't been too good on that)...the documentary was quite nice but it was definately from a pro-NP POV. It would have been improved if it showed more from the other side. Not just in Alaska but the Smoky Mts., too, for instance.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Now, the process by which the idea - and the idea itself - of the American National Parks originated, cleaved through the fog of initial uncertainty & resistance, survived the assaults of powerful vested interests both commercial and political, and eventually fructified into the establishment we have today - that is a uniquely American experience.
I knew you would try to weasel out of this one, but this time your logical gymnastics are indeed worthy of a Gold Medal (sadly, not to be awarded in the Dear Leader's hometown however). To suggest that America is the only nation to have a national park system demonstrates stunning oblivion to the oustide world.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah but they sorta skipped over people's homes being burned down by the NPS, the NPS harassment of inholders (to the present day), NPS at times stopping private rescues in parks resulting in deaths, glossed over the fact that many were locked out of hunting areas they'd hunted for years despite promises to the contrary (despite Congress making it so hunting would be allowed the NPS is an anti-hunting agency so it hasn't been too good on that)...the documentary was quite nice but it was definately from a pro-NP POV. It would have been improved if it showed more from the other side. Not just in Alaska but the Smoky Mts., too, for instance.
Thanks for bringing this out.
DNR is just like that today. Kingdom of its own, screwing people out of their land, homes- yet they themselves don't obey by the rules.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
To suggest that America is the only nation to have a national park system demonstrates stunning oblivion to the oustide world.
Alas, Moose, that is not what I said or suggested or implied. So now we have to enroll you in an Adult Education programme in elementary reading & comprehension?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Quote:
Alas, Moose, that is not what I said or suggested or implied. So now we have to enroll you in an Adult Education programme in elementary reading & comprehension?
Personally, I think English as a second language course at a public Silicon Valley College is in order.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Personally, I think English as a second language course at a public Silicon Valley College is in order.
Moose, get ready to pack for sunnier and warmer climes. De Anza College awaits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska