Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 AM

11 posts, read 30,309 times

Advertisements

i live in Los angeles currently. and im looking for places to live... i HATE the weather here... at least in the summer. i HATE the heat. I hide from the sun most of the time... i LOVE windy weather where it rains a couple dozen times a year... and it snows... i LOVE the cold.... and i love nature scenes... Im plannin on going to a university out of state also. so i need to kno if there are any good universities over there.... (my goal is my masters in nursing).... can u guys help a girl out and tell me if alaska is the place to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
I think you will enjoy the weather here, what about in terms of living environment?

Do you like big cities, small cities, international cities, hiking, fishing, restaurants, scenery, bars, clubs, shopping, driving, walking etc...which ones are most important to you?

I'd recommend the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA).

Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 AM

11 posts, read 30,309 times
i like any kind of cities... but i prefer big cities

Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 AM

17 posts, read 40,601 times
Only thing that would even be remotely close to being considered a city up here is Anchorage, and I'm from Chicago so to me it's an average sized-town. You being from LA would see it the same way. Oh and I noticed in your profile that you're of Mexican heritage. Don't see too many of us up here! I been here since June and I miss tamales, posoles, tortas, all that good stuff!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:50 AM

471 posts, read 1,062,475 times
KuC Homepage

Bethel is a major hub for medical stuff for all the local area... and has been very rainy for the past few weeks and is cold and windy...

Then again I haven't been to too many other places in Alaska

Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamo90 View Post
i like any kind of cities... but i prefer big cities
If you are used to big cities and enjoy them, Anchorage won't satisfy you. It's a small city with big city problems. I lived in Seattle and San Francisco among other cities, but those were the two largest and nowhere in Alaska will you have the feel or amenties of big cities such as these.

Why not look into Seattle or Vancouver? Mild weather, big city, close proximity to snow and hiking etc.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
You should come on over to Minnesota! If you like true cold, wind and snow this is the place for you. You'll get so much cold and wind you probably would be sick of it after one year though. We have about a week of summer in July or August where you might have to turn on your AC. The twin cities are very nice for eduction options. Anchorage ain't got nothing on Minnesota cold and wind! 50's and rainy please! Try 30's and snow this week in Minneapolis.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamo90 View Post
i live in Los angeles currently. and im looking for places to live... i HATE the weather here... at least in the summer. i HATE the heat. I hide from the sun most of the time... i LOVE windy weather where it rains a couple dozen times a year... and it snows... i LOVE the cold.... and i love nature scenes... Im plannin on going to a university out of state also. so i need to kno if there are any good universities over there.... (my goal is my masters in nursing).... can u guys help a girl out and tell me if alaska is the place to be?
UAA sounds like the place for you. I know exactly what you mean about hating the hot weather down in the lower 48!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
For all engineering, physics, geology, petroleum, mining: UAF at Fairbanks. For nursing, flying aircraft and such: Anchorage. But as others have said, there are other places in the lower-48 that are as cold as you want.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,475 times
Oh actually Red Dog Mine is looking for medics and such, but I don't know along the lines of training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska