Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 15,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Since age 9, I've wanted to move to Alaska, now I'm 22.

I work at wal-mart, since I just passed the 6 month mark, I can now be transfered. Putting in for this transfer tommorrow.

Since I can transfer to either Anchorage or Fairbanks or possibly Wasilla, I'm putting in for all three, and going with the first one I receive, lol.

Plan on flying up with my 5month old GSD pup. Been planning this trip for a whole year.

What is the cost of rent in Fairbanks?
Is rent cheaper in Anchorage?
Which city is better, Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Wasilla?
What is your opinion in regard to the colleges in these cities?

For now, I am just looking to get to AK and to get on my feet. With a job already lined up, all I'm looking for now to find a place in advance to rent and maybe even a car to rent, since I am selling everything I have before I move (except for the dog and a few good books). All I am looking for now is to find out what the price range is for renting a house and possibly a vehicle.

Also, I plan to attend college this fall. So that also is a big consideration.
Another thing is that I'd like to choose a town that is close to the Canadian border-which is why I'm leaning heavily towards Fairbanks.

Any advice would be great! I love the outdoors, etc. However, I do not plan on finding that "ideal" place in AK, until I actually get up there and get on my feet.

Thanks,
Journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM

144 posts, read 744,288 times
Wow - you are going to have such a great time! I am in Fairbanks, I will give you my take... which is of course... Fairbanks...
1 - The whole vagrant-college-student-my-dream-is-Alaska thing is very popular in Fairbanks. You will find a lot of people in your same boat. Lots of students will rent a dry cabin at between 300-600/mos and make due with the public facilities. I know a guy w/ a pretty crappy apartment in a not-great neighborhood (w/ water) who pays 550 including heat.
2 - It's less expensive in Fairbanks all the way around.
3 - The public transportation will get you around. Bring a bike if you have one (or grab one asap when you get here) and you will be set. Again, lots of people w/o transportation.

Fairbanks is a very laid back, very outdoorsy community w/ tons of young people. The University is very accessible (close to everything...would be fairly easy to find housing where you could walk, ride or bus it) and there is a nice community of students hanging around the neighborhood. Anchorage is a decent city, there is more "stuff" there, and being near the water is awesome, but from what it sounds ilek you are after, I would say Fairbanks. Wasilla is likewise beautiful! - and a great community, if you were buying a house w/ your family I would tell you to go to Wasilla. But - no Univ. closeby.

B/c it's the summer, hotels are at a premium... this might freak you out a little... but hostels adn campgrounds are popular for the just-arrived!

Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default if you buy a car

If you're going to buy a used car in AK, be sure to ask them if they've got a set of winter tires, major bonus if its on separate rims. I can't tell you how many sets of studded snow tires for Subarus and such that I saw at garage sales because "they sold the car in the summer". It'll save you a bunch when winter comes around, believe me, you're not gonna be happy with "all season" radials on the ice and snow. All-wheel-drive is a pretty good idea, if you can swing the payment. Worst snow vehicle of all time is probably the rear-wheel drive pickup truck, especially on summer tires.

Wherever you end up definately pay attention to the garage sales, especially in the better neighborhoods and near the military bases. There is so much turnover with people heading out of state that lots of really good outdoor gear sells at bargain prices. Nobody moving to their next duty station in Florida needs a set of bunny boots, but they're just the ticket for ice fishing.

I guess if you work at Wallyworld, you never have to worry about where to buy toothpaste or toilet paper. Never very far from the basics, eh?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,490 times
"1 - The whole vagrant-college-student-my-dream-is-Alaska thing is very popular in Fairbanks. You will find a lot of people in your same boat. Lots of students will rent a dry cabin at between 300-600/mos and make due with the public facilities. I know a guy w/ a pretty crappy apartment in a not-great neighborhood (w/ water) who pays 550 including heat."

Question: Can anyone direct me to a place that is for rent real cheap?
I don't care what condition it is in.

I've been having a terrible time trying to find online, information and phone numbers for housing for rent.

Where would Ifind a dry cabin? (What exactly does "dry" cabin, mean?

Would like to rent a place in advance to comming up.

Any advice on this would be great, thanks.

. . maybe i just need to order a phone book.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,617 times
Default To JourneyerK9

Best of luck to you in your upcoming endeavor, sometimes dreams are meant to be realized sometimes only dreamed lest it become spoiled. Get advice from reliable sources, ie: best friends, family, clergy, etc.
Winter preparedness could save your life. A good, well-maintained four-wheel-drive, a full tank = no worries. Have your wits about you and look before you leap on decisions. Sometimes the first available option isn't the best one. Weigh all the possibilities.
As for rents, be sure the utilities are affordable, especially heat. Doesn't hurt to have backup heat for when the power might be out. It's one thing to be tough and another to be dead.

W.H.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,401 times
I have a question about the mosquitos. Is it true they swarm all of alaska in the summertime???

Is it different on the coast than the inland like fairbanks?

How does anyone live if they are being swarmed by mosquitos all the time?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 75,057 times
I have noticed less mosquitos along the shore...but only RIGHT at the water's edge. Go a few feet away and there's mosquitos. Higher winds keep them away somewhat.

In cities of some size, you don't normally see them swarming (unless in parks). But once you get out to the country, there's a lot!

We survive by purchacing lots of DEET. Otherwise known as bug dope, bug spray, bug juice...etc. Have noticed little effect on mosquitos with products that do not contain DEET.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 PM

144 posts, read 744,288 times
Dry = no water. Some have makeshift plumbing inside for you to buy a certain amount of water to use for dishes, toilet, etc. or a holding tank of some sort. Every cabin is different so be sure to ask in advance what is there! Most of the time heat is included, but ask! Did you check out the paper? www.news-miner.com (broken link) - I usually see a lot of cabins in the paper.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 PM

21 posts, read 65,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
I have a question about the mosquitos. Is it true they swarm all of alaska in the summertime???

Is it different on the coast than the inland like fairbanks?

How does anyone live if they are being swarmed by mosquitos all the time?
THAT IS TOO FUNNY

mosquitoes are worse in the woods, they pretty much are everywhere but not in huge swarms. Thanks that was great.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 AM

115 posts, read 664,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizThree View Post
..Have noticed little effect on mosquitos with products that do not contain DEET.
Having one kid who is highly allergic to mosquito bites, and not wanting to douse him in DEET, I looked long and hard for something for him. I found a lemon and eucalyptus mix at Fred Meyer that works GREAT. I also use little wooden discs that have been soaked in this mix in the dryer with his clothes and he very rarely gets bitten...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska