Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 AM

10 posts, read 15,097 times

Advertisements

10-20 acres of vacant/wooded land, atleast 20-30 miles from "civilization", with access to fishing and hunting, to buy and build a homestead? I just need something not too wet so our cabin doesn't sink into the ground, not too far north as I couldn't take the cold or the light/dark cycles up there, something not too terribly expensive.

If anybody has read "One Man's Wilderness" I'm looking for pretty much the same location that guys found, and to do the same things with it.

I have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
You can find that in Wyoming or Montana...

Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
A ten acre chunk just sold up the road from me. ou missed it by that much!

You might find property in Caribou Hills if you want off the grid. On the Kenai Peninsula.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pm View Post
10-20 acres of vacant/wooded land, atleast 20-30 miles from "civilization", with access to fishing and hunting, to buy and build a homestead? I just need something not too wet so our cabin doesn't sink into the ground, not too far north as I couldn't take the cold or the light/dark cycles up there, something not too terribly expensive.

If anybody has read "One Man's Wilderness" I'm looking for pretty much the same location that guys found, and to do the same things with it.

Somewhere on the west-side of Kenai Peninsula or across Cook Inlet towards Lake Clark should fill the bill: good fishing and hunting, and it's not too far north either. Anything further north than Anchorage gets quite cold in the winter. (and it's plenty cold there too, IMO) I'd Google up a realtor in Kenai or Soldotna and ask them...they can at least steer you in the right direction. There are still places like you are searching for...float-plane pilots like the ones on a lake for the "private getaway" appeal...

Bud

Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Well I've got 20 acres in the Interior like that, doesn't even have taxes on it, but it ain't exactly for sale and the DNR sold the last lot there quite some time ago. Maybe 50 grand or so would convince me but otherwise...I'd suggest you look in different areas and at land in person before buying...look at the OTC land listings at the DNR but realize most are fly-in only. If you find nothing with them go with buying from a private owner. Mine's at the end of the road system and while it's a rough mile+ to the land from the road it's not as expensive as flying out to a remote lot. You can spend more on transportation of supplies to the remote parcels than you do on the land itself.

As far as going North understand that yes, it's colder further North in the Interior, lows of 50 or 60 or more below, but it's not constantly that cold, and at the same time, much of the Interior has less wind, less snowfall, and warmer, more dry (dry cold is not as bad as wet cold), and sunny, summers than Southcentral or Southeast. Windchills in the Anchorage area can be quite cold. Winter days are shorter in the Interior but so too are days in the Southcentral region. The differences can be minor, a few hours difference. If that kind of darkness bothers you you'll have problems in Southcentral AK too.

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 09-29-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,392 times
Hey D, One cant go wrong going for a Homestead. Its a tough move. But worth the stetch.
2 ways to go . Buy one soon / now or get out and travel around and see the doins for a couple months now or in the spring.
Wasnt Proenneke somewhere sorta near Anchorage? I think anything N of Denali latitude puts you into colder winters.

The subdivisions are available and the weekend warriors from Anchorage and Mat valley hammer it pretty good-- very un- Proenneke.
Tough deal to find a Home anytime anyplace , Good Luck;
Seen this?:Southcentral Region Subdivision(s), Alaska State Land Offerings

Watch Your Azzez, The first wave from the 10 . tsunami has hit the US and as the wave receeds another wave is about to take its toll--- like 9800DOW? Its gonna be gone soon , Dow to 4000 by 2011-- so take the hit and move it out. Tourism and starbucks isnt sustainable.. Good luck and wake up and turn off the Prop-TUBE. LOL--- sidenote: the Oldtimer homes are taking tv's out because tvs are causing/perpetuating Alzheimers disease-- DUHHHHH!!! Have a good trip My Alaska Friends.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,392 times
Hey D, One cant go wrong going for a Homestead. Its a tough move. But worth the stetch.
2 ways to go . Buy one soon / now or get out and travel around and see the doins for a couple months now or in the spring.
Wasnt Proenneke somewhere sorta near Anchorage? I think anything N of Denali latitude puts you into colder winters.

The subdivisions are available and the weekend warriors from Anchorage and Mat valley hammer it pretty good-- very un- Proenneke.
Tough deal to find a Home anytime anyplace , Good Luck;
Seen this?:Southcentral Region Subdivision(s), Alaska State Land Offerings

Watch Your Azzez, The first wave from the 10 . tsunami has hit the US and as the wave receeds another wave is about to take its toll--- like 9800DOW? Its gonna be gone soon , Dow to 4000 by 2011-- so take the hit and move it out. Tourism and starbucks isnt sustainable.. Good luck and wake up and turn off the Prop-TUBE. LOL--- sidenote: the Oldtimer homes are taking tv's out because tvs are causing/perpetuating Alzheimers disease-- DUHHHHH!!! Have a good trip My Alaska Friends.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pm View Post

I was going to respond to this but then decided it's a troll. I see some took the bait.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 AM

10 posts, read 15,097 times
Thank you for the replys. Sorry I've been busy and haven't responded... Have too much going on atm...

Manmountain, I have looked at some of the OTC land sales, yes. I'm just having trouble figuring out where exactly some of the places are and what kinda land it is... I have indeed been thinking about going out to Alaska to look around before I invest much more time in real estate over the internet. Which kinda sucks because the bf and I wanted to try and have a piece of land by the time we went to go cut down trees, which we were hoping would be July-ish.

Arctichomesteader, is that where you got your 20 acres? OTC land sales?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Don't buy land sight unseen, you may get ripped off. Make sure you can drive up to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska