Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 21,601 times

Advertisements

Hey all, first post here, but I've lurked for awhile.

I'm coming up on my one year anniversary for my job, and have two weeks worth of vacation time coming up (starting the week after Thanksgiving), and I've a very strong desire to visit Alaska (and even move there eventually). Given that this is the first time I'll be able to financially support such a trip, I'd love some advice where to go, and what to see, as well as post some of my ideas, especially since this will be the off-session, and in Winter to boot.

I'd like to see Anchorage, Barrow, and Dutch Harbor, although I realistically understand that I'll probably only get to see one (or two at best). My first thought was driving up from the Lower 48 (starting from Rochester, NY, or NYC, NY); I'm told it takes roughly seven-ten days to get to Alaska once get on the Alaskan Highway, plus the days it takes to either drive back, or take the ferry system, so I'm not sure if this is a realistic goal.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for specifically, but I've dreamed about going to Alaska for years; its had a very strong pull over my mind. I'm fairly used to cold climates (having lived in Rochester, NY, and Hardwick, MA, the former who likes to sit at 10F-0F, and somewhat lower at Hardwick, which at times dropped to -10-20F, and windchill dropped it even further).

I'm hoping to hear some ideas on how I should best use my two weeks, thanks in advance :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
If you only have 2 weeks, I would fly. You will probably save money and definitely save time.
Right now tickets leaving Alaska are sorta spendy during the holidays. Coming here is not too bad.

Era Aviation might have some good deals on getting out to the edges where you want to go. If flying in and out of the remote places is not economically feasible, I suggest a hearty trip around the "Loop" as I like to call it. Fly in to Anchorage, drive to Fairbanks on the Parks Highway, stopping there for a day or 2. Stop in at the Chena Hot Springs Resort as well. Then head back down Via the Richardson Highway, hitting Delta Junction, and Glennallen along the way. At this point you can head south the Valdez which is a completely fantastic drive in the winter with amazing frozen waterfalls!
Then back up and over on the Glen Highway Anchorage. If time and money allow, take a 3 day weekend to the Kenai Peninsula and visit Kenai, Homer and Seward! (plus all the wonderful little towns in between it all)

That is what I would recommend.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:42 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Whatever you do, don't go to Barrow!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
If you only have 2 weeks, I would fly. You will probably save money and definitely save time.
Right now tickets leaving Alaska are sorta spendy during the holidays. Coming here is not too bad.

Era Aviation might have some good deals on getting out to the edges where you want to go. If flying in and out of the remote places is not economically feasible, I suggest a hearty trip around the "Loop" as I like to call it. Fly in to Anchorage, drive to Fairbanks on the Parks Highway, stopping there for a day or 2. Stop in at the Chena Hot Springs Resort as well. Then head back down Via the Richardson Highway, hitting Delta Junction, and Glennallen along the way. At this point you can head south the Valdez which is a completely fantastic drive in the winter with amazing frozen waterfalls!
Then back up and over on the Glen Highway Anchorage. If time and money allow, take a 3 day weekend to the Kenai Peninsula and visit Kenai, Homer and Seward! (plus all the wonderful little towns in between it all)

That is what I would recommend.
Renting a car might be difficult (I have issues renting in NYS, since I'm not 25 which is the age cited to me that I have to be to be insured), but that sounds like a definite idea. The other question is how to book all of it :-)

Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
I agree, I would fly up here, then rent a car. The other thing, take your time, don't try to fit in too much, enjoy yourself, don't rush. We had friends come from Michigan this past summer, they also had two weeks, but tried to squeeze in too much in too little time. Remember, Alaska is huge, looking at a road map places look like they are drivable, some are not and too far away.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCommander View Post
Renting a car might be difficult
You've mentioned Barrow, and obviously you are fairly young. If you want to see the Alaska that is distinctly different, do think about visiting Barrow. If you are adventurous... I'd expect that Barrow and Dutch Harbor are probably the two most adventurous places in Alaska to live (and virtually everywhere in Alaska can be classified as an adventure).

Depending on how relaxed you are, a week or even two in Barrow would certainly be an educational experience in terms of culture and value systems. I would not have picked early December as the best time (Christmas to New Years is a fabulous time though), but it isn't a bad time of year either.

No need to rent a car here...

Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Whatever you do, don't go to Barrow!
pot stirrer.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
You may as well plan on flying that time of year, as if you drove even in decent weather conditions, when you got here you would turn around to go back... Fly and if you can't rent a car yet, maybe the flight to Barrow or Bethel may be the ticket for your vacation so you have time to see and feel where you are for a bit and see something most don't whether visiting AK or living here....rather than constant running...which is not my idea of a vacation...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Anchorage is a great town. At your visit time it will be quieter. I recommend that you fly and rent a 4WD vehicle. (tell them you want a bigger 4WD not one of those toy Ford Escapes) and see if they have studded tires. You will want those. Depending on where you are staying the Brewhouse in Anchorage is a modern and very friendly place. The new museum is stunning and near downtown. Snow City Cafe for breakfast is a must. If you plan to fly to Dutch Harbor make your reservations from ANC in advance. If you go to Barrow you will want to do the same. Barrow or Kotzebue are remote. Kotzebue less oily and more native than Barrow but both have that "edge of the world" feel to them. Native people are welcoming and in Kotz you can really get the feel of native culture just by walking around. Bring down coats and sub zero boots. Back to Anchorage a drive down the Seward Highway to Girdwood and it's Aleyeska ski resort can be fun. Check out the Double Musky restaurant. Have fun, plan in advance and don't take chances on the roads in winter. Did I mention 4WD??

Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
You've mentioned Barrow, and obviously you are fairly young. If you want to see the Alaska that is distinctly different, do think about visiting Barrow. If you are adventurous... I'd expect that Barrow and Dutch Harbor are probably the two most adventurous places in Alaska to live (and virtually everywhere in Alaska can be classified as an adventure).

Depending on how relaxed you are, a week or even two in Barrow would certainly be an educational experience in terms of culture and value systems. I would not have picked early December as the best time (Christmas to New Years is a fabulous time though), but it isn't a bad time of year either.

No need to rent a car here...
To be honest, I thought about it, although I'm not sure what I'd do in Barrow for two weeks seeing that I don't really know anyone from Alaska in general :-/. I really have quite a lot of thinking to do on this vacation (I should hopefully be able to square everything away this week)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska